Thread: Is LG Phoenix 2 Volte compatible?

Feedback Score

Is LG Phoenix 2 Volte compatible?

Yes, I know it is a few years old but if it is Volte compatible, I intent to keep it around as a backup for a few more years. Anyone knows? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    According to Phonescoop (https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5074) that phone does not support VOLTE, only LTE. It allows internet access but not VOLTE (Voice over LTE). For now, At&t hasn't announced plans for a 3G shutdown yet. No requirement to replace the phone yet, but will need to upgraded eventually.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    The reason I am asking is I see a setting for "Enhanced LTE Services" in the phone's Settings-Network->More tab, which has this explanation underneath: Enable HD Voice and advanced communication services where available. I know that if Volte is on, it automatically gets HD Voice but HD Voice alone doesn't necessarily mean Volte. I know T-Mobile already has Volte enabled. The Phoenix 2 I have is unlocked (another reason to keep) but unfortunately I don't have an active T-Mobile SIM to test it.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would recommend turning the setting on and getting a prepaid plan and sim to try it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    According to Phonescoop (https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5074) that phone does not support VOLTE, only LTE. It allows internet access but not VOLTE (Voice over LTE). For now, At&t hasn't announced plans for a 3G shutdown yet. No requirement to replace the phone yet, but will need to upgraded eventually.
    Does Phonescoop have a specific indication of a phone's VoLTE capability? On Phonescoop I've always gone by the HD Voice indication (which it shows yes for the Phoenix 2). Always had the impression based on other threads that VoLTE=HD Voice=Enhanced LTE depending on the specific phone. A Verizon LG K4 I have indicates what the OP's does in the menu (Enable HD Voice and advanced communication services) and it has VoLTE on Verizon. Maybe the GSMs are different. Am I missing something ?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    HD voice is a term for VOLTE (advanced communication services) and your phone doesn't have that option. Since it isn't a feature of the phone you are using, you cannot enable it. It doesn't matter if you are using T-mobile or At&t.

If it is important to you, buy a new phone that will allow it. LTE is only used for data, your phone can carry on a phone conversation on GSM and LTE data simultaneously. Don't get caught up on the terms, just understand there is difference.

On the phonescoop page go to: specifications>modes>select the option for "More Detail". It does not mention anything about VOLTE, only LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    HD voice is a term for VOLTE (advanced communication services) and your phone doesn't have that option. Since it isn't a feature of the phone you are using, you cannot enable it. It doesn't matter if you are using T-mobile or At&t.

If it is important to you, buy a new phone that will allow it. LTE is only used for data, your phone can carry on a phone conversation on GSM and LTE data simultaneously. Don't get caught up on the terms, just understand there is difference.

On the phonescoop page go to: specifications>modes>select the option for "More Detail". It does not mention anything about VOLTE, only LTE.
    Don't know if you were replying to me. Was just saying on Phonescoop it says yes for HD voice on the Phoenix 2, and my similar LG K4 has the same Enable HD Voice and advanced communication services setting as the OPs. I'm on Verizon though and have VoLTE with that setting. Maybe the ATT phones are different.
    I don't see Phonescoop ever indicating VoLTE specifically even for phones that have it. It just references HD voice.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by rpz1; 12-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Fair enough

In my mind, if the specifications don't mention VOLTE, I won't assume it supports the feature. Just saying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    A Verizon LG K4 I have indicates what the OP's does in the menu (Enable HD Voice and advanced communication services) and it has VoLTE on Verizon.
    Yes, the switch (Enhanced LTE service) is what makes me suspect that Phoenix 2 might be Volte compatible and the question. From what you described (about K4) the possibility is high, if not very high.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Yes, the switch (Enhanced LTE service) is what makes me suspect that Phoenix 2 might be Volte compatible and the question. From what you described (about K4) the possibility is high, if not very high.
    Post something up in the LG or ATT forums and see if anyone has one. Keep in mind my K4 is a Verizon phone and even they had 2 versions, the prepaid version was without VoLTE I believe. Difference between the prepaid and postpaid models sometime. Same name but different model# can act different. Is your Phoenix on ATT prepaid since that's this thread? Does ATT prepaid have VoLTE ? If so maybe you have VoLTE already if the service and phone allow it. If you post in another forum see if you can also find your actual model number.

Feedback Score
    Found the answer - yes, it is. See post #39 of this thread https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ck-VoLTE/page3. By the way, AT&T Phoenix 2 (K371) is the twin brother of Cricket Escape 3, which is one of the earliest VoLTE devices supported by Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Found the answer - yes, it is. See post #39 of this thread https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ck-VoLTE/page3. By the way, AT&T Phoenix 2 (K371) is the twin brother of Cricket Escape 3, which is one of the earliest VoLTE devices supported by Cricket.
    So does that mean you're up and running with VoLTE ? On ATT pre-paid or Cricket ?

Feedback Score
    No, the phoenix 2 is a backup phone and currently is not with any carrier. When I saw Best Buy has Phoenix 4 on sale ($20 and my local store still has a few), I thought that it might be time to upgrade the Phoenix 2. But after digging into the detailed specs I found out that Phoenix 4 hardly is a upgrade. Yes, it has a newer version of Android (8.0 Oreo vs. Phoenix 2's 7.0 Nougat after AT&T's software update) and a larger battery but they aren't that important the way I use my phone. The only thing worth the upgrade is VoLTE if Phoenix 2 doesn't have the capability. Thus the question (and the thread).