Thread: upgrading to higher data tier failed - how to correct?

Feedback Score

upgrading to higher data tier failed - how to correct?

When I first activated my Verizon cellphone, I used a $30 prepaid card and (as expected) got the $30 plan. Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade to the $40/month plan, so I bought a $40 prepaid card and applied the scratch-off code number to the phone number over Verizon's 888 number (using another phone). All $40 was charged, but I was given one month of service on the $30 plan.

(note: I left town after activating the phone and have not returned, so I never got to see my paper bill in the mail showing the account number and possibly other details needed to log into the Verizon site or add money online (have only been able to add money via Verizons's toll-free phone number, as I've been unable to log into Verizon's website, and logging in is required to even post a question such as this. Verizon did not answer my reply to their "thank you for your payment" email)

How can I get the extra $10 that Verizon already pocketed yesterday credited to my current bill, so that the $40 I was charged yesterday will give me $40 worth of service THIS MONTH (or at the very least get the overcharge refunded back to my prepaid card)?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

upgrading to higher data tier failed - how to correct?

So, it sounds like you have some misunderstandings about prepaid services and how they work.

1. You will never receive a paper billing statement on prepaid. Part of the savings is you either pay for your service in advance-and it works or you don’t pay and you receive no service. There are no bills or statements.

2. Whatever plan you select is the plan you stay on until you change it. Applying a refill card with more value than your current plan simply credits that amount to your account. So if you’re on a $30 plan, for example, and you apply a $40 refill card your account balance is now $40. When your due date comes around, $30 will be deducted from your account and you would still have $10 available to use towards your next renewal. You would only owe $20 next month.

3. There are generally no refunds on prepaid services. If you buy a $90 plan and cancel your service or change your plan the next day, you’re out $90. End of story. It’s always best to wait until a day or two before the end of your monthly plan before making changes or cancelling a prepaid account or you lose out.

What you need to do is call Verizon customer service at 611 and get your account PIN set up if you don’t have it, so you can do things like register for your online account management or make changes over the phone. Customer service can change you to a higher plan as well, but this month may already be too late since it already renewed. Your best bet is to call and see what options they can give you.

But long story short, applying more money to your account doesn’t change your plan. You have to change it manually and fund it accordingly if you want to have service.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by path100 View Post
    When I first activated my Verizon cellphone, I used a $30 prepaid card and (as expected) got the $30 plan. Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade to the $40/month plan, so I bought a $40 prepaid card and applied the scratch-off code number to the phone number over Verizon's 888 number (using another phone). All $40 was charged, but I was given one month of service on the $30 plan.

(note: I left town after activating the phone and have not returned, so I never got to see my paper bill in the mail showing the account number and possibly other details needed to log into the Verizon site or add money online (have only been able to add money via Verizons's toll-free phone number, as I've been unable to log into Verizon's website, and logging in is required to even post a question such as this. Verizon did not answer my reply to their "thank you for your payment" email)

How can I get the extra $10 that Verizon already pocketed yesterday credited to my current bill, so that the $40 I was charged yesterday will give me $40 worth of service THIS MONTH (or at the very least get the overcharge refunded back to my prepaid card)?
    You should be able to see the $10 balance and change your plan Using the My Verizon app or website. I would wait until the current plan has a day left so you don’t lose the current month.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your replies. I was able to upgrade my data tier over Verizon's 888 number 's automated service and won't have to wait until next month until it starts, as the upgrade is effective immediately.

However, as it gave me the "three gigabyte plan" (and on a second call it says I have 3GB of data remaining) so I'm left wondering if I will automatically get the "bonus" 3GB invisibly added or if the $40/mo 6GB plan was a limited time/special offer that needs to be applied for using a different method, or perhaps the bonus gigs are for new customers only and not upgrading customers?

Either way, I'll eventually find out in another 2 or 3 weeks (and if I don't --or can't-- get the full 6 gigs, this may be my last month on Verizon).

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If you had a plan with double data (for reference the $30 plan normally has 500MB), it should qualify you for double data on applicable higher plans.

I think the system determines promo data according to the active plan on billing date. This would explain why when you upgraded plans it only gave you 3GB instead of 6GB, as it already gave you the promo data for the $30 plan.

You might be able to use social engineering skills to have a CS rep retroactively add the promo data on.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    If you had a plan with double data (for reference the $30 plan normally has 500MB), it should qualify you for double data on applicable higher plans.

I think the system determines promo data according to the active plan on billing date. This would explain why when you upgraded plans it only gave you 3GB instead of 6GB, as it already gave you the promo data for the $30 plan.

You might be able to use social engineering skills to have a CS rep retroactively add the promo data on.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    If you move to a different plan you could the extra data from the original plan.

Feedback Score
    If anyone here uses a Verizon prepaid (metered data) plan and is near the beginning of the service month, please try calling the Verizon number ( 888-294-6804 is what i used) and see if your remaining GB of data on your account correspond to the original (non-bonus) limit or includes the "double gigs" bonus offer. It's possible that the bonus gig data, despite that plan being in place for more than a year, does not show up on Verizon's official meter, which might still be based on the original data limit of that plan, and no one at Verizon got around to updating it yet in the company's automated phone-in system.

I will have consumed my "official" monthly data about another week, and I wonder if then Verizon's meter will start all over again for the "bonus" gigs, or if it will say zero high speed data remaining even though I'm using the 'bonus gigs' portion of high-speed data.

... or, if Verizon's meter is correct, and thus I'll be throttled for the rest of the month starting at 3 GB, even though Verizon's website clearly lists the $40 plan as having 6GB of (high speed) data.