Thread: Motorola g7 power connects to WiFi by itself, have I been hacked?

Feedback Score

Motorola g7 power connects to WiFi by itself, have I been hacked?

My Motorola g7 power keeps connecting to the wifi. I have removed the wifi button from the pulldown menu but still something is making it connect to WiFi.

Is my phone compromised? I can't find any setting that allows my phone to Automatically connect to wifi

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you connected to the WiFi network before then it will automatically remember it and connect when available.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megahertz-prime View Post
    My Motorola g7 power keeps connecting to the wifi. I have removed the wifi button from the pulldown menu but still something is making it connect to WiFi.

Is my phone compromised? I can't find any setting that allows my phone to Automatically connect to wifi
    That is pretty normal behavior. I doubt that you are compromised. Removing the Wifi button from the pulldown menu wouldn't change anything. These are just convenience quick settings.

My G6 has a setting for "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically". Maybe the G7 has the same.

Settings -> Network & internet -> Wi-Fi -> Wi-Fi preferences -> slide switch for Turn on Wi-Fi automatically

That should allow you to turn off Wi-Fi and not have it turn on automatically.

If Wi-Fi is on, it will automatically connect to access points you have used before. You can press and hold an access point name. That will pop up a menu with the option to Forget Network.

I have had other phones that have a setting for automatically connecting to previously used access points. The G6 does not appear to have this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    That is pretty normal behavior. I doubt that you are compromised. Removing the Wifi button from the pulldown menu wouldn't change anything. These are just convenience quick settings.

My G6 has a setting for "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically". Maybe the G7 has the same.

Settings -> Network & internet -> Wi-Fi -> Wi-Fi preferences -> slide switch for Turn on Wi-Fi automatically

That should allow you to turn off Wi-Fi and not have it turn on automatically.

If Wi-Fi is on, it will automatically connect to access points you have used before. You can press and hold an access point name. That will pop up a menu with the option to Forget Network.

I have had other phones that have a setting for automatically connecting to previously used access points. The G6 does not appear to have this.
    I just checked in that settings and I have WiFi does NOT turn on automatically.

But still, wifi connects automatically. Something has over ride my Android settings. This is why I believe I have some kind of virus or Trojan on the phone that trying to do something in the background

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megahertz-prime View Post
    I just checked in that settings and I have WiFi does NOT turn on automatically.

But still, wifi connects automatically. Something has over ride my Android settings. This is why I believe I have some kind of virus or Trojan on the phone that trying to do something in the background
    The setting to not turn on Wifi automatically and automatically connecting to known Wifi when Wifi is enabled on the phone are two different things.

If Wifi is enabled on the phone it will connect to known Wifi. The Motos don't have a setting to disable that.

With Wifi set to not turn on automatically it should stay off if you turn it off and not connect to anything. This works on mine, but I have a G6.

Does your Wifi stay off if you turn it off? Removing Wifi from the pulldown does not turn it off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The setting to not turn on Wifi automatically and automatically connecting to known Wifi when Wifi is enabled on the phone are two different things.

If Wifi is enabled on the phone it will connect to known Wifi. The Motos don't have a setting to disable that.

With Wifi set to not turn on automatically it should stay off if you turn it off and not connect to anything. This works on mine, but I have a G6.

Does your Wifi stay off if you turn it off? Removing Wifi from the pulldown does not turn it off.
    The wifi stays off but it turns on by itself when set to off and set to not turn on automatically