Thread: IMEI number in account?

Feedback Score

IMEI number in account?

Some here have reported that the IMEI number in your account will automatically change after a SIM swap. Can you check this online, or do you need a CSR to look it up? A PPC dealer did this swap with a friend's new phone, and I am concerned which phone's IMEI is in his account.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it is true that the IMEI is broadcasted to the cellular carrier every time a call is made or received. This is part of an authentication process to ensure that the IMEI is only assigned to one phone # and to protect the consumer from phone cloning. I have never seen it available online to the consumer, but CS can verify it if you are calling on your own account but not on anyone else's account you aren't listed on.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    As @veriztd said yes this is true. PPC will even tell you that if you get a new phone and want to keep the same number, or just want to swap numbers and balances between phones, and the SIMs the same size, just move the SIM. No need to inform them. Their system will detect the IMEI when you use it and update their system. To check, just do a chat with them. They can't directly tell you the IMEI (something to do with security) but they can verify what you tell them. You'll give your phone number, PIN, and some portion of your IMEI and they'll say yes or no.

Feedback Score
    Thanks gang! That does suck that the IMEI can't be verified by you online in the account. With Tracfone every phone's IMEI is listed in your online account...active or inactive. Not sure if Tracfone does the automatic IMEI upgrades with a SIM swap like PPC does.

If the IMEI did get updated in the swapped to phone, is it safe to get rid of the old phone?
    Last edited by loboheeler; 12-12-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If the IMEI did get updated in the swapped to phone, is it safe to get rid of the old phone?
    Based soley on what they told me when I did checks, yes the phone is free. (Of course if it's branded and wasn't unlocked it may still be locked to the carrier however that works as I'm sure you know.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Based soley on what they told me when I did checks, yes the phone is free.
    Thanks again. Old phone is a Galaxy S5 that is having problems, and will likely sit in a drawer. Owner was interested in selling it, but found out these oldies have little value anymore.