Thread: Moto g7 Power Unlocked today

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score

Moto g7 Power Unlocked today

Ok. For those that wanted to know about unlocking the moto g7 power here it is. After waiting 6 long months the verdict is in. Just like after unlocking the moto e5 plus the phone unlocks as GSM only. It will not accept a Sprint or Verizon Wireless sim card nor will they allow it on their network. So if you need all network abilities get the unlocked version from Motorola.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    Ok. For those that wanted to know about unlocking the moto g7 power here it is. After waiting 6 long months the verdict is in. Just like after unlocking the moto e5 plus the phone unlocks as GSM only. It will not accept a Sprint or Verizon Wireless sim card nor will they allow it on their network. So if you need all network abilities get the unlocked version from Motorola.
    Thanks. Do you think that's why a metro unlocked won't work with Visible. Also the IMEI indicates not compatible. Regardless, it's still a great handset.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Thanks. Do you think that's why a metro unlocked won't work with Visible. Also the IMEI indicates not compatible. Regardless, it's still a great handset.

Yes. I'm positive thats why. If it isn't white listed by Verizon the cdma side seems to be locked out. Oh and yes I love the handset, its a great phone. Just be nice if they were fully unlocked.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that Metro did that.

I'm not too surprised it's not white listed for Verizon or Sprint, but would have expected an active SIM to work.

Customising the firmware to disable CDMA is bogus. And if they more even worse.

So curious. What happens with and active Verizon SIM with VoLTE enabled?

LTE data should at least work. I do know Verizon has special settings to get voice/SMS on LTE only devices. But an LTE only setup should work for everything if you can get a SIM configured for that .

It would be an absolute garbage move if Metro blocks Verizon SIMs completely.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Interesting that Metro did that.

I'm not too surprised it's not white listed for Verizon or Sprint, but would have expected an active SIM to work.

Customising the firmware to disable CDMA is bogus. And if they more even worse.

So curious. What happens with and active Verizon SIM with VoLTE enabled?

LTE data should at least work. I do know Verizon has special settings to get voice/SMS on LTE only devices. But an LTE only setup should work for everything if you can get a SIM configured for that .

It would be an absolute garbage move if Metro blocks Verizon SIMs completely.
    Well the only active Verizon sim I have is TracFone. With an active sim I get Global, LTE/CDMA and LTE/GSM/UMTS. APN is TRACFONE.VZWENTP which I can select. But when I go back its not selected. System Select says change the CDMA roaming mode. My choices are Home and Automatic. Theres not any Enhanced 4g LTE Mode. There's no way to edit or ad an APN.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Does it show your phone number?
    Does anything work? Calls, text?

Reminds me of the problem we had with a G7 Power (and others did too) where it wouldn't keep the APN selection.

I got a replacement from Motorola (after testing another at Best Buy) and it worked fine. And before I sent the first back I tried one last time and it worked. Never figured out what changed but did not risk keeping the first one.

But maybe try rebooting with and without SIM, resetting stuff, etc.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 12-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Does it show your phone number?
    Does anything work? Calls, text?

Reminds me of the problem we had with a G7 Power (and others did too) where it wouldn't keep the APN selection.

I got a replacement from Motorola (after testing another at Best Buy) and it worked fine. And before I sent the first back I tried one last time and it worked. Never figured out what changed but did risk keeping the first one.

But maybe try rebooting with and without SIM, resetting stuff, etc.
    It does show the phone number. No nothing works. It doesn't even get a signal, no bars no nothing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    It does show the phone number. No nothing works. It doesn't even get a signal, no bars no nothing.
    I'm trying to remember what the other symptoms were. It's been 1.5 years.

The fact that it shows the number from the SIM and the APN and the CDMA options all make me think it's trying. Not blocked completely.

It's been a long time since I had a "GSM" only phone to see how they react to a Verizon SIM, but I think it would be different that what you see.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm trying to remember what the other symptoms were. It's been 1.5 years.

The fact that it shows the number from the SIM and the APN and the CDMA options all make me think it's trying. Not blocked completely.

It's been a long time since I had a "GSM" only phone to see how they react to a Verizon SIM, but I think it would be different that what you see.
    Since I want this to work so badly I gave it a try to satisfy both our curiosity. I put the Verizon sim in my unlocked e5 and z2 which is guaranteed gsm only. The options were the same in all 3. Global, LTE/CDMA and LTE/GSM/UMTS.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    I've been waiting for nearly a month to buy a visable Moto g7, but the they've been out of stock. So I bought an unlocked one and it still won't register, where I was trying to manually input the apn. Probably more if a visible thing, but just a guess.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    does the MetroPCS unlock also unlock the international bands ?

I think it would , but just checking )

Thanks
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Wonder about same issues with Metro iPhones?