Thread: My Tello app issue

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

My Tello app issue

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying I have two separate accounts with Tello. I also have the my tello app installed on two separate phones.

The issue is that the my tello app doesn't work on the one phone. Within the app, beside my phone number it simply says "connecting", while the phone with the working my tello app says "online".

I've been discussing this problem with Tello support and so far it hasn't been resolved. They had me try various things to try to fix the issue but none have worked.

I was just hoping that someone on here might no a fix for this problem.

I actually installed the my tello app on another phone I have that doesn't have a Tello account, and then logged into the app with the phone number that is having issues connecting, and sure enough the app is working and says "connected".

So, maybe a phone issue?

Anybody have any idea as to why my one phone with a Tello account and the mytello app installed is not "connecting" and thus not working. I cannot use the app to make calls, if I try, it says there is no connection.

Thanks guys...

Feedback Score
    did you try uninstalling / reinstalling the app ??

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, probably three or four times. No luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    Hi guys,

Let me start by saying I have two separate accounts with Tello. I also have the my tello app installed on two separate phones.

The issue is that the my tello app doesn't work on the one phone. Within the app, beside my phone number it simply says "connecting", while the phone with the working my tello app says "online".

I've been discussing this problem with Tello support and so far it hasn't been resolved. They had me try various things to try to fix the issue but none have worked.

I was just hoping that someone on here might no a fix for this problem.

I actually installed the my tello app on another phone I have that doesn't have a Tello account, and then logged into the app with the phone number that is having issues connecting, and sure enough the app is working and says "connected".

So, maybe a phone issue?

Anybody have any idea as to why my one phone with a Tello account and the mytello app installed is not "connecting" and thus not working. I cannot use the app to make calls, if I try, it says there is no connection.

Thanks guys...
    Did Tello support have you uninstall the app and reinstall? That is where I would start.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Did Tello support have you uninstall the app and reinstall? That is where I would start.
    Yes they did. But it didn't help.

Feedback Score
    are these apple phones or android phones? do both phones have the same software version?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    are these apple phones or android phones? do both phones have the same software version?
    I'm using an Android phone. Moto G6 Play.

I figured out the problem with the mytello app.

Apparently what I was doing incorrectly was going through all the troubleshooting steps while the my tello app was installed on the phone. Even though I uninstalled and reinstalled the app a few times, apparently I needed to have the app uninstalled while troubleshooting with the info that Tello support provided.

Once I had the app uninstalled and then went through the righ steps, I reinstalled the app, logged in and it then worked fine.

Maybe this will help someone else.......

Feedback Score
    The My Tello app needs some improvements.
    1. Why does it charge minutes when calling on WiFi? Just use another VOIP calling app.
    2. The app has the option to turn cell data off. Can't turn it on if not on wifi. Have to go into phone settings to do that.
    3. Won't receive calls or send/receive texts
    These are usual features of most of the VOIP apps out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    The My Tello app needs some improvements.
    1. Why does it charge minutes when calling on WiFi? Just use another VOIP calling app.
    2. The app has the option to turn cell data off. Can't turn it on if not on wifi. Have to go into phone settings to do that.
    3. Won't receive calls or send/receive texts
    These are usual features of most of the VOIP apps out there.
    The Tello Wifi calling app is pretty minimal. They charge minutes use with it because they can. This is pretty much an industry standard for carrier/service provider Wifi calling. The calls are received by the called party as your Tello number. Using another VOIP calling app is a different number. Many people won't answer a call from an unknown number and don't want several numbers from their contacts.

I standardized on a Google Voice number years ago for everything. I don't even know my Tello and other cellphone numbers.

Their app is pretty much meh, whatever, for a budget service provider. I don't think they are big enough to invest in a full featured SIP/VOIP app. Getting those to work well on hundreds of old to new phone models is not cheap or easy. The calling out part is the easiest part to implement.

Tello does very well at what they do as a good, functional, basic, cell service for a bargain price.