Thread: Automatic unlocking question

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Automatic unlocking question

I bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max from Verizon in late October, which I'm assuming is locked to Verizon for 60 days. My understanding is that it will be automatically unlocked after that time, but will I receive any kind of notification that this has occurred? And is there any realistic chance that something will go wrong, and unlocking won't occur? The reason I ask is because I'm considering porting out to T-Mobile after Christmas, but I want to be sure that the phone is unlocked before I go into the store. Unfortunately, I don't have another active SIM to use to check.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    I bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max from Verizon in late October, which I'm assuming is locked to Verizon for 60 days. My understanding is that it will be automatically unlocked after that time, but will I receive any kind of notification that this has occurred? And is there any realistic chance that something will go wrong, and unlocking won't occur? The reason I ask is because I'm considering porting out to T-Mobile after Christmas, but I want to be sure that the phone is unlocked before I go into the store. Unfortunately, I don't have another active SIM to use to check.

You won’t be notified. Best way is buy a H2o sim for $1 many stores and then just insert it in phone. If it picks AT&T signals and carries for more than 5 minutes, that should be indication that it has been unlocked (that’s the process on android). For iPhone it will take you to activation screen, if it’s unlocked it will let you continue and won’t prompt saying iPhone can’t be used with current carrier sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! Actually, I will have a SIM. Two, in fact. I got a Mint trial kit so I can do some additional checking of T-Mobile coverage before I finally pull the trigger. These things come with two SIM'S. The first one works for a week, so you can check coverage, and then it deactivates, unless you buy a plan. The second one is there to activate with a plan, in case you want to port your number to Mint. My plan is to use the first one in my unlocked Pixel 2 XL to check coverage, but it'll be dead before my iPhone will unlock, but I'll still have the second, unactivated one. Could I use that one to check the unlock status, even without it being active on a network?

In case you're wondering why I just don't wait a bit to start the trial, so the first one will still be live on Christmas, I'd rather do it now, when I'll have more chances to test coverage. If I have to wait, I will, but I'd prefer to get started now.