Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling or google voice?

Feedback Score

Wifi calling or google voice?

I am taking a cruise from San Diego down the Mexican coast, through the Panama canal and up to Ft. Lauderdale. Usually, in ports along the way, there is free wifi close to the ship.
    So I googled "wifi calling and tracfone" and now my head hurts. Go here, text this, see that , plug in that number. Even the tracfoneReviewer is confused.

https://e911-reg.tracfone.com/wps/po...jiskDumFndw!!/

https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...works-and.html

But he did say this....
    "Using a Google Voice number and the Hangouts Dialer app is a great way for anyone to make calls using WiFi without using any Tracfone airtime."

So is this the way you guys make phone calls back to the states if you are out of country or is there a third way? Anyway I plug in my Moto e5 and moto g7 info into the tracfone e911 site and things come up "looser"

Feedback Score
    How does this work? When I use google voice for calls, it sure deducts TF minutes. I am interested in finding out as well.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    But he did say this....
    "Using a Google Voice number and the Hangouts Dialer app is a great way for anyone to make calls using WiFi without using any Tracfone airtime."

So is this the way you guys make phone calls back to the states if you are out of country or is there a third way? Anyway I plug in my Moto e5 and moto g7 info into the tracfone e911 site and things come up "looser"
    Using your GV number and the Hangout Dialer app, you can call back to the states with no cell phone charges as long as you have WiFi.

"WiFi Calling" is a fall-back for your cell phone service when there's no cell signal, but you still get charged for the minutes. Since your TF service is only valid in US states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, I don't know if your WiFi Calling works in other countries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Using your GV number and the Hangout Dialer app, you can call back to the states with no cell phone charges as long as you have WiFi.

"WiFi Calling" is a fall-back for your cell phone service when there's no cell signal, but you still get charged for the minutes. Since your TF service is only valid in US states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, I don't know if your WiFi Calling works in other countries.
    OK, thats a good start. There are lots of wifi calling apps on google play but they require one to earn "credits" what every that means. It sounds like GV and hangout dialer is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    How to Make Free Calls using WiFi (from tracfonereviewer)
    https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...works-and.html
    If you were expecting WiFi Calling to make it possible to make free calls and texts, you are probably disappointed. But don't worry, there are other options for free calling and texting, and we will share one of the more popular methods here.

Using Google Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer and a free phone number from Google Voice, you can make free calls from WiFi. Anyone you call will see your Google Voice number, not your Tracfone number, but you can port your Tracfone number to Google Voice if you prefer that.

Steps to Make Free Calls with Google Hangouts Dialer:
    Visit Google Voice and sign up for a free phone number. You are able to choose a phone number from a large variety available from many different area codes.
    Download Google Hangouts Dialer app on your smartphone
    Connect your Account and Verify your Phone Number
    Make a Test Call using the Google Hangouts Dialer app to check that everything is working.
    Now you should be able to send and receive phone calls to your Tracfone smartphone using your Google Voice phone number and the Dialer app.

Here is a helpful YouTube video that also explains more about Google Hangouts Dialer and how it works.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    How does this work? When I use google voice for calls, it sure deducts TF minutes. I am interested in finding out as well.
    Do you have a GV number? If yes, install the Hangouts Dialer app on your phone. I think you'll need to install the Hangouts app as well if it's not already install.

To make an outgoing call using GV and the Hangouts Dialer:
    1. Connect to WiFi.
    2. Use the dialpad of the Hangouts Dialer app (not the standard dial pad to make calls using cell service) to make the call.
    3. Your GV number will be displayed on the other phone as the calling number.
    4. If the WiFi connection is weak or flaky, your call might get disconnected. Don't use GV & Hangouts Dialer to make important phone calls. I use it to call automated lines (weather, pharmacy orders, etc) where they don't care what number you're calling from or if the call gets disconnected.

To receive an incoming call using GV:
    1. The other party needs to call your GV number.
    2. Your phone needs to be on WiFi (or data).
    3. When the call comes in, you'll hear the GV ringtone (not your cell ring tone), and you'll need to touch a different icon to answer the call.
    4. I only use GV & Hangouts for outgoing calls, because I usually don't have WiFi or Data turned on.

There's no deduction from your talk bucket when you make/receive calls using GV and Hangouts Dialer.

Feedback Score
    BTW, this guy, the worlds fastest talker, give lots of good hints about GV/Hangouts, like turning on wifi calling only, but you will have to play back what he says a few times to get his gist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlipNYn24k

I am not interested in most of the features. I just want to hit a wifi spot and make a call home.

Feedback Score
    Anyway I plug in my Moto e5 and moto g7 info into the tracfone e911 site and things come up "looser"
    You are only going to get WiFi calling on Tracfone if on T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Do you have a GV number? If yes, install the Hangouts Dialer app on your phone. I think you'll need to install the Hangouts app as well if it's not already install.

To make an outgoing call using GV and the Hangouts Dialer:
    1. Connect to WiFi.
    2. Use the dialpad of the Hangouts Dialer app (not the standard dial pad to make calls using cell service) to make the call.
    3. Your GV number will be displayed on the other phone as the calling number.
    4. If the WiFi connection is weak or flaky, your call might get disconnected. Don't use GV & Hangouts Dialer to make important phone calls. I use it to call automated lines (weather, pharmacy orders, etc) where they don't care what number you're calling from or if the call gets disconnected.

To receive an incoming call using GV:
    1. The other party needs to call your GV number.
    2. Your phone needs to be on WiFi (or data).
    3. When the call comes in, you'll hear the GV ringtone (not your cell ring tone), and you'll need to touch a different icon to answer the call.
    4. I only use GV & Hangouts for outgoing calls, because I usually don't have WiFi or Data turned on.

There's no deduction from your talk bucket when you make/receive calls using GV and Hangouts Dialer.
    I think this is exactly the way I will use this.....unless someone has better ideas, I will put this on my backup phone and experiment with it.

Feedback Score
    But he did say this....
    You just need to install the Google Voice app. which is the replacement for Hangouts Dialer app. and Hangout app. We have been using Google Voice calling home when travelling abroad for several years now. Make sure that the phone # to call is +1 followed by the 10-digit phone number. (You need the same number format even in US calling a US #). We only use Google Voice when travelling aboard so I keep the GV # and the mobile phone # of the smartphone that has the Google Voice app. installed separately. (Skip when asked to link mobile phone # during initial app. setup or later in settings.) So calls to GV # ring only Google Voice app. and only calls to mobile # ring native phone app. Also make sure that the setting for "Making and receiving calls" is "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data". I believe, the default is "Use carrier only" (mobile data).

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    You just need to install the Google Voice app. which is the replacement for Hangouts Dialer app. and Hangout app.
    I must be behind the time, I'm stilling using GV and Hangouts Dialer. But I've been using them less frequently since I got the free FreeUp 1000-minute/month back in July.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Let's keep the air traffic controller banter out of this thread because it has nothing to do with the OP's original question. Please keep this thread on track. Irrelevant posts were removed.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You are only going to get WiFi calling on Tracfone if on T-Mobile.
    OK, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    You just need to install the Google Voice app. which is the replacement for Hangouts Dialer app. and Hangout app. We have been using Google Voice calling home when travelling abroad for several years now. Make sure that the phone # to call is +1 followed by the 10-digit phone number. (You need the same number format even in US calling a US #). We only use Google Voice when travelling aboard so I keep the GV # and the mobile phone # of the smartphone that has the Google Voice app. installed separately. (Skip when asked to link mobile phone # during initial app. setup or later in settings.) So calls to GV # ring only Google Voice app. and only calls to mobile # ring native phone app. Also make sure that the setting for "Making and receiving calls" is "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data". I believe, the default is "Use carrier only" (mobile data).
    OK, so just saying....you could actually take an old trafone that is no longer in service and use wifi to put on Google Voice app and use that to make calls from Costa Rica, being sure to check "prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"???

Feedback Score
    Google Voice simply gives you a phone number that you can use two ways. You can pair it with its own dialer called Hangouts and make calls over wifi. Or I think you can use it with the phone's normal dialer and use your minutes.

The deal is that you can present to the outside world a phone number that is a creation of Google. Your phone correspondents will see this number and not your real one. So if you have more than one phone, you can have one universal number.

So you can take a not-activated phone and install the Google components and make calls over wifi courtesy of Google. I don't know how this works out of the country exactly. Maybe only receiving calls for free, like old-fashioned long-distance.

I am not totally sure of any of this. Google keeps making changes.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast