Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling or google voice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Do you have a GV number? If yes, install the Hangouts Dialer app on your phone. I think you'll need to install the Hangouts app as well if it's not already install.

To make an outgoing call using GV and the Hangouts Dialer:
    1. Connect to WiFi.
    2. Use the dialpad of the Hangouts Dialer app (not the standard dial pad to make calls using cell service) to make the call.
    3. Your GV number will be displayed on the other phone as the calling number.
    4. If the WiFi connection is weak or flaky, your call might get disconnected. Don't use GV & Hangouts Dialer to make important phone calls. I use it to call automated lines (weather, pharmacy orders, etc) where they don't care what number you're calling from or if the call gets disconnected.

To receive an incoming call using GV:
    1. The other party needs to call your GV number.
    2. Your phone needs to be on WiFi (or data).
    3. When the call comes in, you'll hear the GV ringtone (not your cell ring tone), and you'll need to touch a different icon to answer the call.
    4. I only use GV & Hangouts for outgoing calls, because I usually don't have WiFi or Data turned on.

There's no deduction from your talk bucket when you make/receive calls using GV and Hangouts Dialer.
    Yes, I have a GV number. I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, so just saying....you could actually take an old trafone that is no longer in service and use wifi to put on Google Voice app and use that to make calls from Costa Rica, being sure to check "prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"???
    Yes! You just select "Skip" when asked to link the mobile phone # and then make sure you select Wi-Fi and mobile data. I have Google Voice App. installed on all of my non-activated phones. Previously you needed Hangouts Dialer App. and Hangouts App. but earlier this year Google replaced them with the "new' Google Voice App. and meant to repurpose Hangsouts for its business customers, if I remember.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, so just saying....you could actually take an old trafone that is no longer in service and use wifi to put on Google Voice app and use that to make calls from Costa Rica, being sure to check "prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"???
    Doesn't have to be an inactive phone. I use GV & Hangouts Dialer on all of my phones on TF. See the two dialers on the screenshot below.

Name:  Screenshot_2017-04-09-07-21-27.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  50.1 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Make sure that the phone # to call is +1 followed by the 10-digit phone number. (You need the same number format even in US calling a US #).
    Regarding the calling # format, you don't need the "+", just dial 1 followed by the 10-digit phone #. I got it confused with Skype, which starts with the "+" but you don't have to punch it in, it automatically shows up with the default country code when you open Skype's dialer. I have Skype installed along with Google Voice for the occasions that we need to call other countries. This makes me think that maybe WiFi calling can take its place or as a backup. With WiFi calling, supposedly I can call US abroad through WiFi even without mobile service (using the mobile talk minutes, of course). I wonder if I can call through TracFone's ILD number to call another country. So far we had only used ILD to call another country a couple of times when we were camping in Grand Canyon last May. I did have a hot spot device with me but it was less hassle to just call through ILD, which the phone had registered with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You are only going to get WiFi calling on Tracfone if on T-Mobile.
    I have wi-fi calling on my backup phone on Mint (T-Mobile) cause the cell signal is non-existent in my house. When I've used wi-fi calling, the other person says the connection sucks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I must be behind the time, I'm stilling using GV and Hangouts Dialer. But I've been using them less frequently since I got the free FreeUp 1000-minute/month back in July.
    I've been using my GV # + Hangouts on my cell phones and tablets, with data only SIMs and/or WiFi, for 100% of my voice and messaging needs, since March, 2017. I haven't had a real cell phone # since then. I still use the Hangouts app, too, because the GV app is still lacking in a few ways that make it less usable to me than the Hangouts app. I'll keep using Hangouts for my mobile communication until it stops working, or until Google fixes the GV app.

As an aside, I also ported my old home phone # to GV in 2015, and have used it with an Obi200 connected to a 5 handset DECT home phone system ever since, and as a bonus, I can also use that # on my cell phones and tablets as another line/# in the Hangouts app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As an aside, I also ported my old home phone # to GV in 2015, and have used it with an Obi200 connected to a 5 handset DECT home phone system ever since, and as a bonus, I can also use that # on my cell phones and tablets as another line/# in the Hangouts app.
    Ha, I have the exact setup as my home phone but I only started this January. So far I am extremely satisfied with GV as the landline replacement - cheap and flexible. Sometimes I even take my home phone with me if I am waiting for some important calls (smartphone with Google Voice). Also I am on my laptop a lot and end up doing most of texting while on-line through voice.google.com. Typing is so easy on a real keyboard.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I don't use GV & Hangouts for calls to real persons because of this....One time I called the County Tax Office to ask some questions. Expecting it to be a long call, I used GV & Hangouts. When the other person answered, the call got disconnected. I tried again, same thing happened. So I switched to using my TF service. When the other person (an old lady) answered, I could tell by her voice that she was pissed off. I apologized, telling her that my cell phone service was flaky, and that calmed her down.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I don't use GV & Hangouts for calls to real persons because of this....One time I called the County Tax Office to ask some questions. Expecting it to be a long call, I used GV & Hangouts. When the other person answered, the call got disconnected. I tried again, same thing happened. So I switched to using my TF service. When the other person (an old lady) answered, I could tell by her voice that she was pissed off. I apologized, telling her that my cell phone service was flaky, and that calmed her down.
    That's interesting. I haven't experienced any problems with any of my GV #s. But do I know some people have complaints about GV, so you're not the only one.

The only time I ever had a GV call cut off was after exactly 3 hours on a phone call several years ago. I was able to call right back to finish the conversation. That 3 hour phone call was a one-time event, so I can't say if that's a GV norm.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    As CoyoteChris introduced the idea of his wanting wi-fi calling after the long and winding road getting his Moto G7 purchased, delivered, and working, and is a little late to the party regarding all of the traffic here at HoFo surrounding Google Voice and Hangouts, let's just point out that there has been an incredible amount posted on the subject in this sub-forum, as well as the Page Plus sub-forum and the Google Voice sub-forum.

So, to boil it down, Google Voice calling over Wi-Fi (as opposed to just calling using GV over cellular voice connections to take on the GV number identity for outgoing and certain calling features for inbound) can be done using either the GV app or the Hangouts app and its associated dialer extension.

Which one works for you better will be a matter of trial and error. Maybe both will work equally well; perhaps neither. I, unfortunately, have found neither app works for me consistently, to give me a glitch-free calling experience. No idea why this is. Doesn't matter if I'm home on my 100 Mbps Comcast internet or at work with a much faster connection. I get dropouts in the audio, and it gets crazy trying to hold a conversation. So I don't use it for that, except under certain circumstances. Could be I need a device with an octa-core processor or more RAM or who knows what. But I know Boz1 uses it successfully and has for a long time, even on a pretty basic LG Phoenix 2 that he used to use. I use a couple of LG Fiesta 2s; same unsatisfactory results.

So try it out. Your mileage may vary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's interesting. I haven't experienced any problems with any of my GV #s. But do I know some people have complaints about GV, so you're not the only one.
    Same here. The (home phone) GV# is my main phone for communication to the outside world. We keep the mobile phone numbers exclusively for use within family and friends. I think this scenario can cause missing calls. We don't setup the voice mail with our mobile phones. So if I forward (link) the mobile # to GV # and when a GV call comes in and the mobile phone is off, the mobile phone carrier will play a message immediately which would cause GV to think the call has been answered and stop ringing other device(s). That is why I keep GV# and mobile phone #s unlinked. (KISS is my favorite strategy.) I also only enable GV# calls to the smartphone's GV app. when I expect calls while outside and always do test calls -both ways - to make sure things are setup properly.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm all in on GV. No one knows any of my native cell numbers. But I'm using the cellular voice service for carriage of those calls.

On the other hand, I have complete satisfaction at home using GV through my fixed internet service and an Obi 200 device.

I have had a few extremely long calls that got "truncated" at around the three hour mark. Just had to call again to resume. It's quite a rarity for me to be on the phone that long, so that doesn't bother me.

All my SMS texting is done through the GV app (maintaining number identity), and I have one remaining contact (older sister) who I message using Hangouts (used to have three). I sometimes do either on a PC at the respective websites (nothing like a full-sized keyboard).

Feedback Score
    OK, digesting this discussion here's a couple questions for you pros.

1. Does an inactive phone need a SIM in it for any of this to work strictly wifi ? (I wouldn't think so)

2. How much data does a GV wifi call use ? This is may be tough to answer since most of you use your unlimited home wifi or public wifi. My case (which I won't bore you with) is need to use a HotSpot for any wifi at home. The data cost may not be worth the effort.

3. Is there a minimum of how much Mbps my wifi would need to be capable of for the GV to work even reasonably?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    As CoyoteChris introduced the idea of his wanting wi-fi calling after the long and winding road getting his Moto G7 purchased, delivered, and working, and is a little late to the party regarding all of the traffic here at HoFo surrounding Google Voice and Hangouts, let's just point out that there has been an incredible amount posted on the subject in this sub-forum, as well as the Page Plus sub-forum and the Google Voice sub-forum.

So, to boil it down, Google Voice calling over Wi-Fi (as opposed to just calling using GV over cellular voice connections to take on the GV number identity for outgoing and certain calling features for inbound) can be done using either the GV app or the Hangouts app and its associated dialer extension.

Which one works for you better will be a matter of trial and error. Maybe both will work equally well; perhaps neither. I, unfortunately, have found neither app works for me consistently, to give me a glitch-free calling experience. No idea why this is. Doesn't matter if I'm home on my 100 Mbps Comcast internet or at work with a much faster connection. I get dropouts in the audio, and it gets crazy trying to hold a conversation. So I don't use it for that, except under certain circumstances. Could be I need a device with an octa-core processor or more RAM or who knows what. But I know Boz1 uses it successfully and has for a long time, even on a pretty basic LG Phoenix 2 that he used to use. I use a couple of LG Fiesta 2s; same unsatisfactory results.

So try it out. Your mileage may vary.
    Yeah, that's the thing. Some people love this technology and some people hate it. And for some reason it seems unrelated to the connection/speed quality. If you go read the reviews of the apps there is lots of love and lots of hate. One person says you cant open the keypad during a call so you are dead in the water trying to answer questions like "Push 1 for English". I think I will try it and see what I think.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't have to be an inactive phone. I use GV & Hangouts Dialer on all of my phones on TF. See the two dialers on the screenshot below.

Name:  Screenshot_2017-04-09-07-21-27.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  50.1 KB
    Sure, you bet. I understand it doesnt have to be an inactive phone. Like you, I think I will try both dialers. Its not absolutely a must to have to have a phone while in port on cruises.....just an idea. Internet purchase packages on cruise ships are very expensive for hoh hum connect speeds....one can purchase packets of internet time as well if needed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast