Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling or google voice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    1. Hangouts Dialer is required to be installed to enable calling with the app. Otherwise it is just a chat app. You can use either app icon after the dialer is installed.

2. It has been a long time since I set mine up so I don't recall, except that it was pretty straightforward. For Hangouts you will have to go in its settings and enable it to do calls. The default is off. In the GV app you will need to go in its settings and select if you want it to use Wifi & carrier or carrier only.

3. Not that I recall.

4. Hangouts and the GV app use the GV number that you have. I had the GV number for a long time before the apps. You can have Hangouts and/or the GV app on multiple phones all using the same GV number.
    Ok, excuse me for making things more complicated then they are:

In hangs outs I see no setting to enable calls. You pick either the chat tab or the call tab.

GV has no setting to use wifi and carrier or carrier only.

Now I haven't set a GV number yet because it wants a phone number to forward calls to from my GV number and it appears to also send a code to. I don't want my GV calls to be forwarded to another number. Unless after the set up and I get the code I can then go into settings and delete that forward to number.
    Is the code to just confirm and activate the GV number ? Can I then delete any forwarding number in settings?
    Do I not see some of the settings mentioned above because I don't yet have a GV number?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Ok, excuse me for making things more complicated then they are:

In hangs outs I see no setting to enable calls. You pick either the chat tab or the call tab.

GV has no setting to use wifi and carrier or carrier only.
    You have to touch the "Hamburger Menu", three short horizontal lines spot to get to settings - same for the GV app.

Now I haven't set a GV number yet because it wants a phone number to forward calls to from my GV number and it appears to also send a code to. I don't want my GV calls to be forwarded to another number. Unless after the set up and I get the code I can then go into settings and delete that forward to number.
    Is the code to just confirm and activate the GV number ? Can I then delete any forwarding number in settings?
    Do I not see some of the settings mentioned above because I don't yet have a GV number?
    You will have to give them an active cell number to receive a confirmations code to start a GV account. Landline numbers don't work. You may be able to delete the number, or at least turn off forwarding to it after starting the account.

You are not going to get very far with the Hangouts or GV app without getting the GV number first.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Try GV over the hotspot and let us know how well it works. I have tried it with my hotspot and it isn't very reliable for me - probably too much latency, packet loss, jitter.

Google Voice service and the Google Voice and Hangout apps are free.
    I'm using an old FreedomPop Unite hotspot with a FP 1GB/mo prepaid LTE SIM to supplement the data on my T-Mobile 2GB/mo LTE SIM. My phone works just as well for Hangouts calls when connected to the Unite hotspot as it does using the T-Mo data SIM installed in my phone.

Feedback Score
    You have to touch the "Hamburger Menu", three short horizontal lines spot to get to settings - same for the GV app.

You will have to give them an active cell number to receive a confirmations code to start a GV account. Landline numbers don't work. You may be able to delete the number, or at least turn off forwarding to it after starting the account.

You are not going to get very far with the Hangouts or GV app without getting the GV number first.
    Thanks. Yes I got to settings with the "Hamburger menus" but the mentioned settings don't show; but it's maybe like you said I don't have a GV number set yet so maybe they'll show when I do.

I was hesitant to give a forwarding number since I don't want any GV calls forwarded or that would defeat the purpose of GV since I assume when a call is forwarded you incur charges against your cell plan. Was going to use my landline to do that part but guess that's out. I still have an old active 3G phone # I could give and then hopefully delete it after the setup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I have a question about which phone or phones you plan to use on your trip. You mentioned a phone with no SIM (fine) and your other TracFones.

Although the TracFone SIMs will not roam in other countries, in the past, some users said if their phone even registered on a foreign network (with TracFone SIM), TracFone might kill the line. I don't know if that is still true.

Also, when you mention purchasing packets of internet time, are you referring to WiFi time or a foreign provider's data? You would not be able to use a foreign provider's SIM in a TracFone-locked phone.

If you might be interested in using a foreign provider's service while in port, there actually is a roaming option for TracFone companies' phones. Simple Mobile will let you use their plans in the USA and several Central and South American counties. https://www.simplemobile.com/ildroaming
    Hey, Thank for the info. In the past, cruising the Caribean and going in and out of the canal, I used my tracfones just to access the wifi spots on shore and send an email or two. Evidently, the cruise line sells some sort of ATT plan where you can use their system to make phone calls with an ATT phone. Dont know how that works. But there is ho hum speed internet to be purchased on board the ship and I am going to ask my cruise forum if anyone uses GV with a dialer. I see people all over the ship using their phones and tablets so there is satallite internet to purchase. The Capt told us at a lecture that a ship is using satalites for lots of things...comm to the home office, nav, crew internet and those pesky 1500 pax....and that is why the download speed is ho hum. I didnt realize TF had a roaming function in some countries. At any rate, no country I have been in has made TF kill my line. But now that I know that, I have 3 nice phones I have ported the numbers out of and let go out of service that still have wifi. The Ports we shall hit will be in Mexico, Guatamala, NIcaragua, Costa Rica, Aruba, and Curacao.

Feedback Score

Not saying you are wrong but things may have change to what you said. This guy (2016) says at one minute 17 seconds you can use your home home and get a call with the code.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlipNYn24k&t=270s
    Have things changed?

Feedback Score
    Google Voice makes you start out with the text confirmation/initial forwarding phone, but you can just delete it later and have no forwarding phones at all.

The initial setup requires a mobile number, not a landline number.

On your phone, you will have to log in to the Google account that has the GV number just like you have to log in for the Play Store to work. So your phone can have more than one Google account on board. Unless you use the same account for Play Store and Hangouts. One Gmail account can have a lot of stuff linked to it.

The setting in Hangouts is for permission to receive calls. If you enable this, it might mess up the forwarding behavior. Making calls is not affected. You can avoid the conflict by having a separate GV number for forwarding purposes. So you will have two GV numbers/accounts to play with.

I believe this advice is correct. I know it is confusing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    I think this scenario can cause missing calls. We don't setup the voice mail with our mobile phones. So if I forward (link) the mobile # to GV # and when a GV call comes in and the mobile phone is off, the mobile phone carrier will play a message immediately which would cause GV to think the call has been answered and stop ringing other device(s). That is why I keep GV# and mobile phone #s unlinked. (KISS is my favorite strategy.) I also only enable GV# calls to the smartphone's GV app. when I expect calls while outside and always do test calls -both ways - to make sure things are setup properly.
    One of the first things I do when I get a new phone service/number, that I want to use with GV, is disable VM so only Google Voice’s VM is active. Sometimes you can do it yourself via the account page settings. If it’s not there, either email or call. It’s easy and quick.

Feedback Score

Wifi calling or google voice?

I set up hangouts with a Google Phone number a few years ago on my tablet. I have used it to call back to the USA when traveling internationally and it has worked great. I have used it by using the WiFi at the hotel where we were staying. I was even able to call US landlines this way.

When I first set it up I also tried to install it on my Tracfone but at the time that did not work for me. However, that was a few years and a few phones ago.

Reading this thread is motivating me to take an old sim less phone and play with Hangouts on it. A couple of years ago I tried the newer Google Voice app (as opposed to the Hangouts app) and I found it didn’t work seamlessly like Hangouts. I haven’t used Hangouts much since installing on my tablet, but it has worked quite well the few times I have used it. It has been great for calling back to the US for free when overseas.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Can somebody that is saying above that a landline can't be used for first time verification to set up a GV # please explain? When did that change? Where is that documented? The last I knew, verification could be either via text message or voice call.

For those new to GV, there are lots of articles about it. One is: http://theverge.com/2019/4/23/184111...mail-texts-sms

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Also, usually, you will only use Hangouts (+ Hangouts Dialer if using Android) OR the Google Voice app, but not both.

Hangouts is only for use over data only. The Google Voice app has relatively recently added the ability to be used over data only, but can also integrate with a native phone # on a cell phone. I have used my GV #s + Hangouts over data only on my cell phones and tablet since March, 2017.

The reasons I haven't yet switched to the Google Voice app include:
    1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too. As another data point, when searching contacts, the TextNow app ALSO lists numbers with a custom name with the custom name next to the number.

2) On any of the three phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, Viber, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) When any of my devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow works correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Can somebody that is saying above that a landline can't be used for first time verification to set up a GV # please explain? When did that change? Where is that documented? The last I knew, verification could be either via text message or voice call.

For those new to GV, there are lots of articles about it. One is: http://theverge.com/2019/4/23/184111...mail-texts-sms
    For verification purpose, you can use landline # or mobile # with the exception of a VOIP # (ex. FreedomPop) or another GV #. In the old days you can actually request two GV numbers with the same phone #. At the time Google will ask if the verification phone is a home # or mobile #. So you can use the landline # as home # for the first GV #. For the 2nd GV# you say it is a mobile # (and get the verification code through a phone call). Google eventually closed this loophole.

Correction, maybe: It could be home # or office #, instead of home # or mobile #. It was a while ago and my memory has been slipping fast.
    Last edited by Rick880; 12-16-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Yes I got to settings with the "Hamburger menus" but the mentioned settings don't show; but it's maybe like you said I don't have a GV number set yet so maybe they'll show when I do.

I was hesitant to give a forwarding number since I don't want any GV calls forwarded or that would defeat the purpose of GV since I assume when a call is forwarded you incur charges against your cell plan. Was going to use my landline to do that part but guess that's out. I still have an old active 3G phone # I could give and then hopefully delete it after the setup.
    I was incorrect about using a landline number for the confirmation step to get a GV number. I got that mixed up with porting a number to GV where you can't port a landline number.

In any event, the numbers you put in the GV account can have forwarding turned off or the numbers can be removed.

You would only incur charges against your cell plan if you forwarded the GV number to the cell number (and answered it).

The best way to ensure GV calls are Wifi only with either app is to put the phone in Airplane mode, then turn Wifi back on. That leaves the cell radio off so there is no chance of charges.

Feedback Score
    Update:
    I got everything set up. Only did a couple test calls to my home phone. There are still settings I don't understand but I'll only be using it for occasional out going calls so pretty much have everything turned off (ie VM or missed calls to my G account.)

I like the GV app dialer better at this point. It gives details about a call like duration which Hangouts doesn't. And links to my contacts list which I couldn't find how to do in Hangouts.

I only did an incoming call to GV# from my home phone once and had to press 1 to receive the call on GV app; didn't seem to ring many times before going to VM. Didn't try calling my GV# and picking up with Hangouts so don't know if that "1" is required there too. Other test were calling out to my home phone.

On GV app I could have record call off for things to work, but unless I have something set wrong, I had to have it turned on in Hangouts to make a call.

There was what I guess you call latency (ever slight delay) but I think it more had to do with having a phone in each hand and talking to myself. Someone else wouldn't notice that delay. Plus the old LG phone I have GV on never was great with any wifi.

Oh, I was able to delete that forwarding number I used to get the code for initial set up.

And though it wasn't a great test, only maybe 3 minutes total between trying Hangouts app and the GV app it used roughly a bit under 1mb per minute as was mentioned.

Once I make a longer call to someone I'll get a better idea of all of the above. I'll likely only use it for my long calls to my moms landline. Anyone else has caller ID and wouldn't recognize the number and not answer or I don't want them to have the number and try to call me on it since my HS (wifi) is only turned on when I need to use it.

Thanks again for all the input !

Feedback Score
    I only did an incoming call to GV# from my home phone once and had to press 1 to receive the call on GV app; didn't seem to ring many times before going to VM. Didn't try calling my GV# and picking up with Hangouts so don't know if that "1" is required there too.
    It is the phone screening thing - https://support.google.com/voice/ans...DDesktop&hl=en. You can turn it off in Settings.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast