Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling or google voice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Update:
    I got everything set up. Only did a couple test calls to my home phone. There are still settings I don't understand but I'll only be using it for occasional out going calls so pretty much have everything turned off (ie VM or missed calls to my G account.)

I like the GV app dialer better at this point. It gives details about a call like duration which Hangouts doesn't. And links to my contacts list which I couldn't find how to do in Hangouts.
    I find the Hangouts app confusing and prefer the GV app. Hangouts does know your contacts, but does not present them in the typical way. If you start entering a number or name it will bring up a list that matches what you have entered.

I only did an incoming call to GV# from my home phone once and had to press 1 to receive the call on GV app; didn't seem to ring many times before going to VM. Didn't try calling my GV# and picking up with Hangouts so don't know if that "1" is required there too. Other test were calling out to my home phone.
    Press 1 to answer sounds like you have call screening on. There is a setting for that in the GV app. GV VM should pickup after 25 seconds measured from the callers perspective.

On GV app I could have record call off for things to work, but unless I have something set wrong, I had to have it turned on in Hangouts to make a call.

There was what I guess you call latency (ever slight delay) but I think it more had to do with having a phone in each hand and talking to myself. Someone else wouldn't notice that delay. Plus the old LG phone I have GV on never was great with any wifi....
    VOIP calls using the Internet generally have longer round-trip delay latency than landline or regular cell calls. I have measured it with GV over Wifi (and other VOIP services) as about 600 ms. That is at the upper limit of good call quality. If it gets much longer, it can get awkward.

Glad you got it working

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    It is the phone screening thing - https://support.google.com/voice/ans...DDesktop&hl=en. You can turn it off in Settings.
    Got it thanks. Wondered about that setting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    .....................Glad you got it working
    Thanks to every ones help here. What about that record calls setting which seems to be required for Hangouts to work ? Where are recorded calls stored anyway ?

Though I'll just use the GV app anyway.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

You are not going to get very far with the Hangouts or GV app without getting the GV number first.
    If i'm not mistaken you'll need to download hangout dialer, as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Yes, we discussed above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    You are greatly mistaken. GV app has its own dialer integrated and doesn't need hangouts dialer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to every ones help here. What about that record calls setting which seems to be required for Hangouts to work ? Where are recorded calls stored anyway ?

Though I'll just use the GV app anyway.
    That just enables call recording and other features. It doesn't record anything unless you press 4 during an incoming call. I tried it years ago to test. I think it stores them in your GV account where you can access them with the account web page, maybe in the GV app too. Try it and let us know.

Feedback Score
    OK, no joy from my cruise forum about using GV onboard with wifi, so I will just make time this weekend and get set up.

Feedback Score
    OK, went on the web and got a google voice number. Super easy. They gave me the option to get the varification code by voice or text. I gave them my home land line and got the code that way. Easy. They said the number was good for android, ios or web. On to a dialer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, went on the web and got a google voice number. Super easy. They gave me the option to get the varification code by voice or text. I gave them my home land line and got the code that way. Easy. They said the number was good for android, ios or web. On to a dialer.
    Unless you plan to text too, the GV app has the dialer and works fine.
    Since my last post I tried another call using my HotSpot device. The other party heard an echo on their end like I did when I test called myself. Likely because of using a Hotspot instead of true wifi. Or my old LG which never did great on wifi anyway.

Feedback Score
    Unless you plan to text too, the GV app has the dialer and works fine.
    Since my last post I tried another call using my HotSpot device. The other party heard an echo on their end like I did when I test called myself. Likely because of using a Hotspot instead of true wifi. Or my old LG which never did great on wifi anyway.
    We made our first call. I called my wife and after calling myself, ....it is my humble opinion that there is about a third to a half second delay...probably closer to a third. It wasnt a problem once we knew about it, but if you were to get two rapid fire talkers talking at once, it would be. I would call the voice quality good. I will make a few more tests, like from free wifi at McDonolds...but it is what it is. I will report back on our success at using it at sea on the cruise ship.
    Texting is not something we care about, since she can email me and though the internet is clumbsy to use aboard Holland America ships, I will probably check it about once a day.
    (I still dont understand the diff between wifi and hot spot. My wifi has 6 devices connected to it. Its a router that is connected to a microwave link from the roof of my house to a mountain top. A Starbucks must have something like a router connected to a cable/sattalite/whatever to get to the net.)

Feedback Score
    I think someone above explained the tech. diff between HotSpot and Wifi. Hotspot's just cell data being shared with other devices. Limited strength and range. There are devices that just are for data(hotspot). I sometime wrongfully ref it as wifi since it acts like wifi in sending out a shared internet signal. It's not as solid and consistent as your home (or store) satellite or cable modem true wifi.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I still don't understand the diff between wifi and hot spot.
    Not much different, the technology that's being used is still WiFi. When people refer to a location (Starbucks, Walmart, McDonald, hospital, library...) as a "hot spot", that just means the place provides public-access WiFi. You connect your devices to it using WiFi, with or without needing a password.

When people refer to "using a phone as a hot spot", that means they're using their phone as a WiFi source for other devices. Let's say you're at a location that has no WiFi available (in a moving car, at a park, in a house with no WiFi hook up). Your phone can access the Internet using data, but you prefer to use your laptop or tablet because it has a bigger screen or is more functional. So you turn on the Hot Spot function on your phone, and it becomes a WiFi source, with its own SSID and password (if you want), basically your phone is now a router, and it uses data to obtain info from the Internet. You connect your laptop/tablet via WiFi to your phone's "router". When your laptop/tablet's browser requests info from the Internet, the request goes to the phone, then to the Internet. Your phone will eat up Data at a good rate, and the Hot Spot function is restricted/forbidden by some providers like Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    @CoyoteChris
    Think of a Hotspot as a router. It provides internet access using a cellular connection as opposed to your home router which uses a modem to provide an internet connection via your ISP. Once the connection is made they act the same.

Feedback Score
    We made our first call. I called my wife and after calling myself, ....it is my humble opinion that there is about a third to a half second delay...probably closer to a third. It wasnt a problem once we knew about it, but if you were to get two rapid fire talkers talking at once, it would be. I would call the voice quality good. I will make a few more tests, like from free wifi at McDonolds...but it is what it is. I will report back on our success at using it at sea on the cruise ship.
    Texting is not something we care about, since she can email me and though the internet is clumbsy to use aboard Holland America ships, I will probably check it about once a day.
    What you experienced with audio delay is likely correct. My experience with VOIP calling over Wifi has been that there is about a 600 ms round-trip delay. This is fairly consistent over a range of VOIP services. GV is no better or worse than the others. You can check it with a call to an echo line, like 909-390-0003. It is hard to quantify unless you record the audio and use an audio editor to measure it.

600 ms is at the upper limit of perceived good call quality. VOIP calls go over the general Internet which is not optimized for real-time voice calls, or real-time anything.

(I still dont understand the diff between wifi and hot spot. My wifi has 6 devices connected to it. Its a router that is connected to a microwave link from the roof of my house to a mountain top. A Starbucks must have something like a router connected to a cable/sattalite/whatever to get to the net.)[/QUOTE]

A Wifi hotspot or access point allows Wifi devices to connect to be routed to other networks. The other parts are a router and a network source. The network source we generally think about is The Internet.

Yes, Starbucks, etc. have their Wifi access point connected to a router and and a source of Internet, like cable.

In your Wifi VOIP calling adventures, keep in mind that some Wifi access point operators block VOIP calling while allowing other Internet access. It may not work everywhere.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast