Thread: Your mobile data

Feedback Score

Your mobile data

Hello,

How mutch mobile data you will use monthly?

I am using up to 40 GB.

https://ibb.co/d65PcRT

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Less than 5 GB per month. I mostly use my phone for online articles to read, Pandora music from time to time and short video clips. I probably use my phone on WiFi more than cellular data.

How are you using your data currently ?
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    I am watching many many travelfilms. I really live travelling very mutch.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    I use 8-10 gigs per month

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Between 4-8.5 gigs a month. At home I mostly use Wi-Fi.

Feedback Score
    About 30 MB a month. I am usually around Wifi and don't find much need for cell data when mobile.

Feedback Score
    This is a great subject, Your mobile data.

How could we predict how much we might use in how many weeks or months? I use internet when at home with a normal Windows computer. Very much amount of internet use for email, sometimes looking at maps for taking short or medium length trips, some online shopping, wikipedia, a few online forums, looking at several pages on YouTube. When I am away from home, different situation. Any mobile phone is then a utility and not an entertainment device. I am imagining I would maybe use a smartphone for a few minutes using google maps, and some occasional information search through a browser; and not sure if I would take any picture or record any video to send to anyone - either rarely, or not at all.

I tried an internet search for something like this, and it seems that 100 MB of data per month would be more than enough for me. I am guessing, no more than an hour of internet use on a smartphone in any one-month period. No way to know unless I try, and see how much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    About 30 MB a month. I am usually around Wifi and don't find much need for cell data when mobile.
    What do you use that much on? How is this 30 MB distributed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    What do you use that much on? How is this 30 MB distributed?
    Google searches, weather, and email, about evenly distributed. Those are just a couple of time a month each. None are generally urgent or necessary. I can afford to use a lot more, but don't seem to have much need or interest when mobile. At home it is a different story. I use tens of GB of cable Internet, most of that is streaming video through a Roku.

I generally use offline maps for navigation. I did a test one time with GMaps and cell data. It was about 5 MB for an hour trip.

You can probably do fine with 100 MB of mobile data a month if you avoid streaming video.

Try a web search on "how much data do i need". There are a number of guides and calculators.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Google searches, weather, and email, about evenly distributed. Those are just a couple of time a month each. None are generally urgent or necessary. I can afford to use a lot more, but don't seem to have much need or interest when mobile. At home it is a different story. I use tens of GB of cable Internet, most of that is streaming video through a Roku.

I generally use offline maps for navigation. I did a test one time with GMaps and cell data. It was about 5 MB for an hour trip.

You can probably do fine with 100 MB of mobile data a month if you avoid streaming video.

Try a web search on "how much data do i need". There are a number of guides and calculators.
    Yah, I did a search for "how much data...", and maybe I should do a little more searching.

Not having skill yet for Google Maps used offline, I did try Google Maps online through cellular service for a few minutes on a couple of occasions, but I do not remember how much data used nor how much data allowed in the plan. It was a cheap cell plan, some 20 dollars for 90 days.

Your "30 MB" comment was interesting because, I predict if I were to use data on a smartphone when I am away from home, I might use between 30 and 60 MB.