Thread: Need To Remove Rogue Verizon Contacts

Feedback Score

Need To Remove Rogue Verizon Contacts

My question is short. Does any one know how to remove read-only contacts for a cellular service I don’t use, or even can use?

The background information is not so short, but if you are interested, read on.

Recently I purchased two SIMs for our unlocked Motorola G5s Plus and Motorola G6 cell phones to use with the prepaid services of Page Plus Cellular. The activation of the G6 went fine but we had problems with the G5s Plus. We called the 800 number and the first level was not able to help so she bumped me up to the next level and for over 30 minutes the person there tried different things. Each time she tried something she had me make a call to see if the problem had been cleared. All the recorded messages I received indicating there was still a problem were the same except one which said something about being connected to the Verizon network and to standby for an operator to make a collect call or a credit card call. Finally she was able to activate the phone and all seemed well. Later on I found 10 contacts had been added to my contact list for Verizon account services with numbers that started with the “#”symbol that don’t work on the Page Plus Cellular network.

I tried deleting them one at a time but the message I received for each contact was that it was read only and that I could only hide them. That would be OK with me if they stayed hidden but they keep coming back and there are more of them than I have contacts. They are also for the most part at the beginning of the list which means I have to scroll down to see my few contacts.

Since I could not delete them, I called support to see how to get rid of them permanently. Again the first person couldn’t help so I was bumped to a second person. At first the second person indicated it was normal since they use Verizon, then they said it must be left over from using Verizon in the past, and next they said they were stored on the SIM and it was not possible to change information on the SIM. I counted with they were not on the first phone after activation so it wasn’t normal, that I have never used Verizon before, and I switched the SIMS between phones and the contracts were not switched so they are not on the SIM. Finally he asked if I had a Google account and I said no. His response to that is that you need a Google account so I cannot help you – and that was the end of that real helpful call.

One last piece of information is that when I try to delete a contact it says, "Contacts from your read only accounts cannot be deleted...". It makes you wonder what "accounts" that statement is referencing.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    I don't really understand what is happening, but have you done a factory reset with the Moto G5S? Of course that will delete everything, emails, photos, texts, contacts, etc. So be sure to back up all that before doing a factory reset. And even then, it may not get rid of your read-only numbers.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Always had that with my phones on PPC. Even my factory unlocked ones. Probably the same on any Verizon mvno. Also loads the MyVerizon crap. The # Verizon contacts appear to stay hidden till you power off/restart the phone; then they're back. Haven't found a way to make it permanent.

Feedback Score
    Well that at least explains why they come back. Thank you for your observation. Eventually these phones will spend most of their lives being powered off doing nothing until a call home is needed for a change in plans or other such use. As result we are in the habit of powering them down when not using them so they will be charged when we need them.

What I still don’t know is why one phone has the Verizon contacts and the other does not.

In continuing to poke around the settings after my first post, I did note one difference between the two phones. In the case of the phone without the Verizon contacts, the MIN number is the same as the telephone number. In the phone with the Verizon contacts, the last four digits of the MIN number are different from the telephone number. Only the area code and exchange are the same. It is a long shot but perhaps that has something to do with it.

Tomorrow when there is less change of bothering someone, I will use my land line to try calling that odd MIN number and see what happens.

A factory reset is really not the answer. My wife would shoot me if I lost all her data as it is her phone that has the problem. In addition, I would shoot myself after spending a fair amount time turning apps off, and changing as many settings as possible, to minimize the flow of personal information to Google or anywhere else.

Feedback Score
    It is a mystery to me. I don't know why a factory unlocked phone would have un-editable Vzw contact info in the contacts.

I use a factory unlocked Moto E4 XT1768 that I got from Walmart on clearance for $30 earlier this year, and it doesn't have any un-editable contacts.

My wife uses a factory unlocked Moto G4 Play XT1607 that I got from B&H in 2016, and it also doesn't have any un-editable contacts.

Feedback Score
    Indeed it is a mystery. Are there any apps that allows you to manipulate attributes? I thought Windows was bad, and it is compared to Linux, but Android is apparently even worse. You own the phone but you have no control over it. I have renamed the apps so the names all start with zz and they are now all at the end of the contact list, but I really should not have to do that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPan2 View Post
    Indeed it is a mystery. Are there any apps that allows you to manipulate attributes? I thought Windows was bad, and it is compared to Linux, but Android is apparently even worse. You own the phone but you have no control over it. I have renamed the apps so the names all start with zz and they are now all at the end of the contact list, but I really should not have to do that.
    Oh! You can edit them, but not delete them? That also seems odd. But like you said, at least you can get them to the end of the list that way!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPan2 View Post
    My question is short. Does any one know how to remove read-only contacts for a cellular service I don’t use, or even can use?

The background information is not so short, but if you are interested, read on.

Recently I purchased two SIMs for our unlocked Motorola G5s Plus and Motorola G6 cell phones to use with the prepaid services of Page Plus Cellular. The activation of the G6 went fine but we had problems with the G5s Plus. We called the 800 number and the first level was not able to help so she bumped me up to the next level and for over 30 minutes the person there tried different things. Each time she tried something she had me make a call to see if the problem had been cleared. All the recorded messages I received indicating there was still a problem were the same except one which said something about being connected to the Verizon network and to standby for an operator to make a collect call or a credit card call. Finally she was able to activate the phone and all seemed well. Later on I found 10 contacts had been added to my contact list for Verizon account services with numbers that started with the “#”symbol that don’t work on the Page Plus Cellular network.

I tried deleting them one at a time but the message I received for each contact was that it was read only and that I could only hide them. That would be OK with me if they stayed hidden but they keep coming back and there are more of them than I have contacts. They are also for the most part at the beginning of the list which means I have to scroll down to see my few contacts.

Since I could not delete them, I called support to see how to get rid of them permanently. Again the first person couldn’t help so I was bumped to a second person. At first the second person indicated it was normal since they use Verizon, then they said it must be left over from using Verizon in the past, and next they said they were stored on the SIM and it was not possible to change information on the SIM. I counted with they were not on the first phone after activation so it wasn’t normal, that I have never used Verizon before, and I switched the SIMS between phones and the contracts were not switched so they are not on the SIM. Finally he asked if I had a Google account and I said no. His response to that is that you need a Google account so I cannot help you – and that was the end of that real helpful call.

One last piece of information is that when I try to delete a contact it says, "Contacts from your read only accounts cannot be deleted...". It makes you wonder what "accounts" that statement is referencing.
    Whenever I encounter an error such as this, I just do a Google search of the complete error message. In this case, I just put the error quote you provided (Contacts from your read only accounts cannot be deleted) into Google and one of the top results has a good explanation and detailed solutions:
    https://www.techbone.net/android/del...-only-contacts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I use a factory unlocked Moto E4 XT1768 that I got from Walmart on clearance for $30 earlier this year, and it doesn't have any un-editable contacts.
    Think I found it. I have the same phone as you Boz and the same issue with the read only files as the OP. The solution link given by @user1name above didn't mention android 7 but got me to looking. In the main contacts menu settings is a "contacts to display". In there is "ALL", "PRESET VERIZON", GOOGLE" (with your google account shown), and "CUSTOMIZE". Mine was set to "ALL". I changed it to "GOOGLE" and the Verizon ones are now gone ! Just need to recheck that I didn't lose any. I don't have contacts on my Gmail (google account) or any sync between devices but used the account when I set up the phone so guess that's why they're called Google contacts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Think I found it. I have the same phone as you Boz and the same issue with the read only files as the OP. The solution link given by @user1name above didn't mention android 7 but got me to looking. In the main contacts menu settings is a "contacts to display". In there is "ALL", "PRESET VERIZON", GOOGLE" (with your google account shown), and "CUSTOMIZE". Mine was set to "ALL". I changed it to "GOOGLE" and the Verizon ones are now gone ! Just need to recheck that I didn't lose any. I don't have contacts on my Gmail (google account) or any sync between devices but used the account when I set up the phone so guess that's why they're called Google contacts.
    That's some good sleuthing!

But my phone doesn't have "PRESET VERIZON"!

Mine lists the 6 Google accounts I have set up in Gmail, "ALL", and "CUSTOMIZE"

So, that makes me wonder if using a Vzw network SIM card really does somehow add that item? I have only used AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards in my E4 XT1768 so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's some good sleuthing!

But my phone doesn't have "PRESET VERIZON"!

Mine lists the 6 Google accounts I have set up in Gmail, "ALL", and "CUSTOMIZE"

So, that makes me wonder if using a Vzw network SIM card really does somehow add that item? I have only used AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards in my E4 XT1768 so far.
    Yes, surely they're on a Vzw SIM (I'm PagePlus). From that referenced link it appears whether contacts are on the sim or you create them on internal memory, or in some other app, they all combine unless you change things. Guess with the CUSTOMIZE you can maybe pick and choose which sources you want combined. I also know on my phone the My Verizon app shows up too. I'm sure it wasn't there before I put the SIM in it.