Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is a Belt Holster Dorky?

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score

Is a Belt Holster Dorky?

My 12 year old grandson is packing a cased smartphone now.

I thought about adding a clip-on belt holster to his Christmas stocking— but wonder if he or his buddies would see it as the 21st century dorky equivalent of a plastic shirt pocket protector, or worse— a slide rule scabbard.

Whaddya think?

Feedback Score
    Get him some cargo pants/shorts...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    My 12 year old grandson is packing a cased smartphone now.

I thought about adding a clip-on belt holster to his Christmas stocking— but wonder if he or his buddies would see it as the 21st century dorky equivalent of a plastic shirt pocket protector, or worse— a slide rule scabbard.

Whaddya think?
    I would go to the mall and see what the Mall Rats do. My observation has been that the preferred carry is with no case stuck in a back pocket.

My guess is that a belt-clip holster would be considered extremely dorky and uncool. That would probably be pretty effective birth control if you could get them to use it. ;~>

I still have a slide rule with a scabbard. I never clipped it to a belt loop.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Why not ask the grandson what he likes, he'll be the one that carries/uses it. While some people like to give/receive surprised gifts, I would prefer to select a personal item that I'll use/wear/carry daily rather than receiving a surprised item that I don't care for, give a "thank you" and a forced smile, then stash it on a shelf somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I would go to the mall and see what the Mall Rats do. My observation has been that the preferred carry is with no case stuck in a back pocket.

My guess is that a belt-clip holster would be considered extremely dorky and uncool.
    Different culture now. Every kid has a backpack, which was unheard of in my younger days except for hiking. Belt carrying of "tools" is still popular with those who need them on their person. Look at a police belt sometime!

I have a phone belt holster, but don't always use it that way. I'ts mostly just a protective holder. Can't imagine carrying bare in a pants pocket. I used to often carry the older small phones in a shirt or jacket pocket.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Seems to me no holder is necessary, most kids (and adults) are walking around staring at their screens,anyway. But, if kids started making fun of the grandson he could haul off and hit them with his 'murse.'

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post

Belt carrying of "tools" is still popular with those who need them on their person. Look at a police belt sometime!

And Batman. Don't forget Batman!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

My guess is that a belt-clip holster would be considered extremely dorky and uncool. That would probably be pretty effective birth control if you could get them to use it. ;~>

I still have a slide rule with a scabbard. I never clipped it to a belt loop.

That's what I mostly see with high school kids who work in a large grocery chain where I shop.….no case & stuck in back pocket.

Feedback Score
    Kids are not as concerned about damage.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Kids are not as concerned about damage.
    ....they're more concerned about their image.

Feedback Score
    Phones are probably slippery on purpose.

Pocket users are good to go out of the box. Kids with common sense (girls) want grippy cases. It is more of a disaster for girls if the phone has issues.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Phones are probably slippery on purpose.

Pocket users are good to go out of the box. Kids with common sense (girls) want grippy cases. It is more of a disaster for girls if the phone has issues.
    I don't know about that. I see more young ladies in their teens to probably late 20s wearing skin tight jeans with just a hint of a back pocket with a giant phone sticking at least halfway out walking around in stores, malls, etc. I often wonder what keeps the phones from shooting out and flying across the room!

Maybe guys are more accident prone, but THEIR pants are usually baggy with big pockets!

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    OP here--- Checked with my son...and it's a definite no-no where they live. On to Plan B for stocking stuffers...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    And Batman. Don't forget Batman!
    Holy smokes, Batman. Jeepers.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't know about that. I see more young ladies in their teens to probably late 20s wearing skin tight jeans with just a hint of a back pocket with a giant phone sticking at least halfway out walking around in stores, malls, etc. I often wonder what keeps the phones from shooting out and flying across the room!

Maybe guys are more accident prone, but THEIR pants are usually baggy with big pockets!
    I am a dork. There. I said it. But I also camp out 34 days a year, walk 3-10 miles a day around my property working, take 9 vacations a year. I have 2 ea 150 mph motorcycles which I ride and tour on. My phone stays in my holster instead of dropping to the ground out of pockets every day.

Over 5,000 people crack their screens every hour.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/cra...screen-927180/

Is having a holster dorky? No. Its smart. dropping your smart phone is dorky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast