Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Need to move on from LG 237C Tracfone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    251
    Feedback Score
    0

    Need to move on from LG 237C Tracfone

    My parents LG 237C Tracfone is dead and was no longer going to work on the network soon anyway I believe. My parents like the flip phone mostly due to great battery life. My dad did have some trouble working the navigation keys on the LG 237C but not sure if there is anything out there that would work any better.
    Can someone point me in the right direction on what phone would be best to get? They are in eastern Iowa and tend to get a good signal from Verizon if that make a difference anymore. Their current phone I believe gets double mins but they typically don't use enough for it to matter.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,294
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tracfone doesn't offer high quality flip phones anymore like in the good old days.

    There are two models on the Tracfone website, but I hesitate to call them equal to the good old ones.

    If your parents can tolerate a smartphone, that might be advisable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    409
    Feedback Score
    0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,778
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Move them to one of the smartphone models with a big battery. I believe they will like all that the Smartphone can do for them if the features do not spook them. Also, a new phone purchased with bundled airtime gives a nice discount off both.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    742
    Feedback Score
    0
    Am I correct that the LG 237C would be on TF/ATT ?
    If so I believe (not sure) that the Doro in the HSN link above is a ATT(Gsm) phone. As far as the MyFlips though, they'll be VZW sims. But you can pick up a TF sim kit and pop the ATT sim in the MyFlip and activate it. The MyFlips support both. But as mentioned the MyFlip isn't like the feel of the old flips. Good phone for the money though. I don't know what the feel of the Doro is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,294
    Feedback Score
    0
    The navigation ring on the Alcatel is a piece of work. I didn't even realize that it was a thing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,294
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Am I correct that the LG 237C would be on TF/ATT ?
    If so I believe (not sure) that the Doro in the HSN link above is a ATT(Gsm) phone. As far as the MyFlips though, they'll be VZW sims. But you can pick up a TF sim kit and pop the ATT sim in the MyFlip and activate it. The MyFlips support both. But as mentioned the MyFlip isn't like the feel of the old flips. Good phone for the money though. I don't know what the feel of the Doro is.
    LG 237C being a "C" phone would be Verizon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,778
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    C for CDMA and G for GSM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    742
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the "C" clarification. I assume that leaves out that Doro on HSN since the specs there show it as gsm.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,741
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    Can someone point me in the right direction on what phone would be best to get? They are in eastern Iowa and tend to get a good signal from Verizon if that make a difference anymore. Their current phone I believe gets double mins but they typically don't use enough for it to matter.Thanks
    Yes, Verizon has good coverage in that area. The MyFlip is Verizon, and the Doro is T-Mobile. MyFlip is generally liked, but reviews are not so good on the Doro. Correct that the modern flips are not as well built as some older models. You can get a MyFlip for $20 most anywhere.

    I believe the new flips can use triple minute standard cards or smartphone cards. That gives a lot of options with the additional add-ons.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    81
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    My parents like the flip phone mostly due to great battery life.
    That is not true of all flip phones. I been using Tracfone MyFlip phone for while, and would say one of its weakness is mediocre battery life. I am not heavy user but have to charge the phone every two or three days.

    Other than that its pretty good phone. I love its compact size.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    742
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    That is not true of all flip phones. I been using Tracfone MyFlip phone for while, and would say one of its weakness is mediocre battery life. I am not heavy user but have to charge the phone every two or three days.

    Other than that its pretty good phone. I love its compact size.
    Totally agree on the battery life of the MyFlip compared to the old 3G flips. I think it's because of the extra bells and whistles and band searching the 4G's do that the old flips didn't. Could be wrong.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,741
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Totally agree on the battery life of the MyFlip compared to the old 3G flips. I think it's because of the extra bells and whistles and band searching the 4G's do that the old flips didn't. Could be wrong.
    Constantly searching for a network connection does use a lot of battery power, but should not be much different between 3G and LTE. Either way it should only be an issue in weak signal areas.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    742
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Either way it should only be an issue in weak signal areas.
    That would explain mine. Weak signal area. On my E4 that I have Network Cell Info Lite installed on it bounces between band 2 and 13 depending where I walk in my house. And even then the signals not stellar. I'm right on the edge of coverage here. With my old 3Gs before Vzw started cutting back 3G out here I always had a strong signal on that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    921
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have seen with the MyFlip that with WiFi on would drain the battery more too. I can get about a week with low usage with WiFi off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM
  2. Cant seem to move on from N95....but want a new phone, suggestions?
    By Anna_p in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 11:43 AM
  4. Time To Move On From JasJar
    By j ride 81 in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 11:43 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 07:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks