Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Good bye cricket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Perhaps I was a bit too hasty with my assessment—I agree that Comcast would be the driving force (they are the bigger company) and companies do have long road maps. T-Mobile following theirs is rather admirable in that they've been able to predict much of the trends. There have been some moments where the industry has had to react to unexpected changes (the end of "contracts" or subsidies in mobile, cord cutting, ways to offer unlimited data plans with limitations). Taking it back to the original topic, I think AT&T has often been reactionary and made some poor decisions here and there that have led them to their current state. Sprint was notorious for even worse bad decisions, which they never can seem to recover from.

Going back to the T-Mobile/Comcast thing...obviously the documents are from the T-Mobile side of things, so there may be no interest from Comcast, but it would make perfect sense to wait for the Sprint merger to wrap up, then argue that T-Mobile and Comcast need to tie the knot to compete against AT&T (maybe Verizon, but media and wireline are much less of a focus). Nonetheless, it may be interesting to see how they'd sell it and how they'd wind things down with Verizon with the current Xfinity Mobile.
    By most reports Xfinity mobile has been pretty unprofitable for comcast.https://www.multichannel.com/news/co...in-1st-2-years
    https://www.telecompetitor.com/comca...mains-elusive/
    This seems mainly due to the high price they pay Verizon per gb on their mvno deal
    https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190311...reless-service

I agree we really haven't clue how interested Comcast really is, but given the dying nature of their cable tv business, and the growing threat from wireless carriers on their broadband business, wireless would appear to be a logical option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I think that AT&T bought Cricket so they can maintain separation between their own branded service and the low-cost alternative. But Cricket's no great deal anymore after they dropped their lower cost options. One issue in ending Cricket is that AT&T ran around selling all those franchises for Cricket stores. Would they refund the money that those store owners spent, including the lease costs? Or would they let all those franchise locations to start selling AT&T service?
    That depends on the contracts. They could have a clause in there that upon merger they would be allowed, or it could say that dissolution of the brand (Cricket) terminates the contract immediately with no compensation. In other words you risk the franchise fees and hope you make enough profit that at the end of the contract you're on the plus side.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    I have a spare phone on Visible & it sucks.. data is soooo slow..

Sent from my SM-N960U using HoFo mobile app
    I've seen people post Ookla Speed Tests on Visible and the results are pretty bad, though not as bad as Cricket. I wonder if that's typical or are users getting data speeds similar to what I get on Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO).

I had considered Cricket when leaving T-Mobile, but Verizon has better coverage than Cricket in most places I go. However Cricket includes some off-network roaming and has coverage in one place I go occasionally where none of the nationwide carriers have native coverage but all of them roam onto Choice Wireless with their postpaid plans, and some of them roam with their own brands of prepaid plans, but other than Consumer Cellular, I don't think any of the MVNOs have roaming in those places.

Name:  speedtest.png
Views: 293
Size:  44.6 KB

Total Wireless is faster than my Comcast Xfinity service

Name:  comcastspeedtest.png
Views: 280
Size:  30.0 KB

Feedback Score
    nonononono, didn't you read? Visible data speeds are like gigabit! And they never slow down! And they never will, no matter what Visible says!!!

Just ask the cult--they'll tell you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    nonononono, didn't you read? Visible data speeds are like gigabit! And they never slow down! And they never will, no matter what Visible says!!!

Just ask the cult--they'll tell you.
    Do you have a link to where anyone said this? I've read the entire thread and funny thing,haven't seen it. Maybe I missed it.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score

Last night Visible speed... so it is true they don’t thtottle

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You think there's much congestion at 2 in the morning?

Amazing what these new phones are capable of. Getting ~500 mbps down, 700 mbps up on a 7T connected to an ac1300 wifi.
    Last edited by GPz1100; 12-24-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score

@Magic Kingdom WDW... packed capacity. Today afternoon

Feedback Score
    How are the speeds in a heavily populated, urban area for you?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkay View Post
    How are the speeds in a heavily populated, urban area for you?
    I think it really depends on how the market is for Verizon. There's a lot of people sharing ridiculously good speeds in New York City (unfortunately, not specifying boroughs or specific neighborhoods) and then other markets where Visible struggles. I've been doing a lot of testing in Indianapolis over the last couple of days (certainly a smaller city, but all carriers seem to do fairly well here in most places).

For my tests, I was in some denser areas…crowded shopping/dining areas, and some of the older neighborhoods within the city limits. The speeds have generally been decent, but I've had to get used to the higher ping and there's been a few struggle spots where I could feel the squeeze. The large result screenshots I hit earlier tonight in the Nora neighborhood (north side) and at a gas station on the south side, while the other two screenshots are a bunch of tests mostly on the south and east sides of town (Southport, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Irvington, Broad Ripple). The 62Mbps test at 1:02PM yesterday was when I was in Broad Ripple for lunch and I flipped over to my AT&T eSIM to test—Visible seemed to struggle in that area. All other tests are on Visible:

Name:  Visible4.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  19.5 KBName:  Visible5.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  Visible3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  23.4 KBName:  Visible2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  23.9 KB

I'll probably keep my tester line for a little while and want to test downtown more, as well as if I go to a sporting event or visit another city.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score

After work on the way to parking garage. Speed test the highest one i have so far.
    In summary, Visible is the bomb! For $25 unlimited everything. 1 1/2 week of Awesome service.

Merry Christmas

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I think it really depends on how the market is for Verizon. There's a lot of people sharing ridiculously good speeds in New York City (unfortunately, not specifying boroughs or specific neighborhoods) and then other markets where Visible struggles. I've been doing a lot of testing in Indianapolis over the last couple of days (certainly a smaller city, but all carriers seem to do fairly well here in most places).

For my tests, I was in some denser areas…crowded shopping/dining areas, and some of the older neighborhoods within the city limits. The speeds have generally been decent, but I've had to get used to the higher ping and there's been a few struggle spots where I could feel the squeeze. The large result screenshots I hit earlier tonight in the Nora neighborhood (north side) and at a gas station on the south side, while the other two screenshots are a bunch of tests mostly on the south and east sides of town (Southport, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Irvington, Broad Ripple). The 62Mbps test at 1:02PM yesterday was when I was in Broad Ripple for lunch and I flipped over to my AT&T eSIM to test—Visible seemed to struggle in that area. All other tests are on Visible:

Name:  Visible4.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  19.5 KBName:  Visible5.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  Visible3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  23.4 KBName:  Visible2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  23.9 KB

I'll probably keep my tester line for a little while and want to test downtown more, as well as if I go to a sporting event or visit another city.
    What's with the latency? Those ping times are terrible. I'm getting far better on a Verizon MVNO.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    What's with the latency? Those ping times are terrible. I'm getting far better on a Verizon MVNO.
    It's my understanding that Visible is routing all traffic (or maybe just requests?) through a few select nodes throughout the country, so latency is really dependent on where you are using your phone. It's been the biggest sticking point for me in regards to testing, as there are moments where something feels off on an otherwise decent connection.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but it reminds me of when Cricket was routing all their traffic through a few proxy servers and pings were a bit higher (2013-2017). I'm hoping as the service gets more popular, they stand a few more up.

Feedback Score
    Are you kidding? This is Verizon we're talking about.

I'm sure Visible customers sit in the BACK of the bus, and always will. You want first class privileges? You will pay first class prices.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    One thing I miss about cricket was the ability to change plans and paying pro-rated rates. ATT prepaid only allows one change per month so if you change back you’re charged for two month. I’m having to file a BBB complaint to get back $75 on duplicate charges

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast