Thread: Activate Tracfone Moto E5 on Pageplus?

Feedback Score

Activate Tracfone Moto E5 on Pageplus?

I bought this Motorola Moto e5 5.7" 16GB Tracfone w/8MP Camera & 1500 Min/Text/Data for $30 from www.HSN.com, (now sold out, at https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...1500-/8879320#),

Also, I just bought another Moto E5, without any service for $29.99 on Amazon ( still available now, https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Moto...qid=1576556298)

The HSN one comes with 1 year service, the Amazon is the phone alone. I don't care about the service. I want to use the phone on Pageplus, and replace my current Pay-As-You-Go flip phone.

I only need one of them. Which one is better for this purpose?

Can I simply use the SIM in the package, chat with PP and transfer my old number to the Moto E5?
    Is it possible to unlock the E5 after 12 months service on Pageplus? Do I need to buy a SIM card from PPC for this?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    The HSN Moto E5 can only be used for Tracfone service to get the bundle. Not sure what happens when you try to use one of these on other Tracfone Wireless companies. The Amazon E5 can be used on PP as is with the TF SIM it comes with. If you can get them to re-brand it to PP, the unlock may apply. Ask the CSR.

Feedback Score
    Also. If you don't care about the HSN plan bundle (which I assume is preloaded on the sim) you should be able to also just pick up a TF BYOP SIM somewhere and put that in the HSN phone for PPC activation. Any TF/Vzw SIM will work for PPC. You don't need to source one directly from them.
    I think on cheap phones the whole unlocking thing is kind of moot. Especially since you can stay with any TF company even if it stays locked.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input.

The Amazon Moto E5 came yesterday. I checked its IMEI on Pageplus, and it showed it is compatible with PPC.

What does rebranding mean exactly? I searched this forum, even found out that you asked the same question about a year ago. Do I tell Pageplus that I am bringing a tracfone to it explicitly?

When I was reading some posts yesterday, some people got denied to activate a phone across the Tracfone sub-brand when voluntarily told the customer service about bringing in a different brand phone. So there is a chance that Pageplus may deny this phone if I tell them this is a tracfone???

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The HSN Moto E5 can only be used for Tracfone service to get the bundle. Not sure what happens when you try to use one of these on other Tracfone Wireless companies. The Amazon E5 can be used on PP as is with the TF SIM it comes with. If you can get them to re-brand it to PP, the unlock may apply. Ask the CSR.

Feedback Score
    From my understanding all re-branding does for you is potentially unlock the phone for use on a none TF carrier in 12 months. Unless you want to assure unlocking in 12 months I wouldn't even mention re-branding. I never did, and don't know if it really means anything other then the unlocking. With cheap phones or if you're planning to stay with a TF company even after 12mo, I wouldn't think re-branding matters. Someone else may know why, other then the unlocking.

You can activate any TF/Vzw phone with the sim that comes in it on PP. If it came with a TF sIm just online activate it with PP. If it doesn't have a sim, just go down to your local store and buy a TF sim kit and activate it on PP. Done.

If you talk to a PP rep they will tell you you must buy everything from them; .... phone or BYOP sim....a TF won't work...a TF sim won't work. That's just marketing for the PP brand, not true as others here will attest. Don't tell them it's a TF phone or sim and you'll be fine. The only difference between TF brands I'm aware of is their plan offerings.

Feedback Score
    Great info there.

Yeah, I will just play it safe and activate it on PPC without mentioning anything about Tracfone.

I have accumulated about $200 credit for this PPC account, thanks to the freebie service from Ringplus, Cellnuvo, and Freeup in the past several years. This line will become active once all free services go away.

For this amount of credit, I probably will still be with PPC in 12 months, so unlocking the phone is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    From my understanding all re-branding does for you is potentially unlock the phone for use on a none TF carrier in 12 months. Unless you want to assure unlocking in 12 months I wouldn't even mention re-branding. I never did, and don't know if it really means anything other then the unlocking. With cheap phones or if you're planning to stay with a TF company even after 12mo, I wouldn't think re-branding matters. Someone else may know why, other then the unlocking.

You can activate any TF/Vzw phone with the sim that comes in it on PP. If it came with a TF sIm just online activate it with PP. If it doesn't have a sim, just go down to your local store and buy a TF sim kit and activate it on PP. Done.

If you talk to a PP rep they will tell you you must buy everything from them; .... phone or BYOP sim....a TF won't work...a TF sim won't work. That's just marketing for the PP brand, not true as others here will attest. Don't tell them it's a TF phone or sim and you'll be fine. The only difference between TF brands I'm aware of is their plan offerings.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've got two lines of PPC service with two Straight Talk phones (LG Fiesta 2s) on them.

As far as IMEI compatibility, one phone from the TF "family" is the same as the next. They appear to work from a group whitelist that isn't broken up by the various subsidiaries. You just have to keep underlying carrier in mind, of course.

And when it comes to the unlocking thing or rebranding, I don't know how that fits in to PPC. I've never used, and don't know anyone who has used, a phone bought from PPC branded as such, who intended to take it to the other TF subsidiaries. It's usually the other way around.

And most of the deals on these better low-cost phones are usually found on Straight Talk or Total Wireless, which you can immediately bring to PPC, and use any TF/VZW SIM available.

The TracFone ones will usually have the service bundles which, even though a good deal for a TF user, bring the cost up such that the same model from another division is preferable, IMO.

Feedback Score
    Activated without any issue. I could not find any chatting on the pageplus website, maybe it is not available on weekend? So did it on phone.

Forgot to set up the phone (like Google updating stuff, google account setup etc), so it took a bit longer to cancel all the updating. Other than that, its quite smooth. The rep only asked my old phone number, pass code, and then the new phone's IMEI and SIM. Went very well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggeria View Post
    Activated without any issue. I could not find any chatting on the pageplus website, maybe it is not available on weekend?
    For future reference the only way I found to get into chat is click the "Activation" tab on the main page. When it takes you to that page, a chat link will/should pop up in in the upper right of the screen. It's available weekends and pretty much anytime.

Feedback Score
    For future reference the only way I found to get into chat is click the "Activation" tab on the main page. When it takes you to that page, a chat link will/should pop up in in the upper right of the screen. It's available weekends and pretty much anytime.
    I think you can also click on the Support link and then click Ask Me A Question and then type AGENT.

Feedback Score
    I will try this next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think you can also click on the Support link and then click Ask Me A Question and then type AGENT.
    That's what I did. But it only redirected me to the support page and did not show any chat agent. On the other hand, it is certainly possible that there were web browsing settings on my computer messed things up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggeria View Post
    That's what I did. But it only redirected me to the support page and did not show any chat agent. On the other hand, it is certainly possible that there were web browsing settings on my computer messed things up.
    Oh. Maybe it's some setting. When I type AGENT, it gives a link, but when the support page opens, there is a box at the top right to click to start a chat. Just fyi, support is available 7 days a week, 8am-11:45pm Eastern.