Thread: New study finds most people don't need unlimited plans

Feedback Score

New study finds most people don't need unlimited plans

May be of interest to people here. Obviously some people use a lot of data and save money with unlimited plans, but not surprisingly it seems that the masses are subsidizing the costs of the outliers. https://reachconnection.reachmobile....limited-report

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    No surprise as here in the land of plenty, so many think they just have to have all you can eat.

Welcome to America!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    No surprise as here in the land of plenty, so many think they just have to have all you can eat.

Welcome to America!!
    I'll take that over bread lines.

Sent from my LML211BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have found that I use 3GB or less in data in most of the time. Every once in a while I do go over that. Right now I am using the unlimited plan since it is holiday season, and I do not know how much data I am going to use.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I normally use just a little over 2GB/mo, and only rarely up to ~2.75GB/mo.

And that even includes all calls and messaging going over data only, using my GV #s and Hangouts.

I do have WiFi at home, but not at work.

One of my sons doesn't have WiFi at his apartment, so his usage can exceed 30GB/mo. He's probably going to switch to Visible when he can get a compatible phone.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    We suffer from "foro". Fear of running out!

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Well what if you find an unlimited plan thatís cheaper than most tiered plans? Iím with Visible, paying $25/mo and having no issues with it. Canít beat that anywhere. Comes in handy when home Wi-Fi is slow from congestion during rush hour. Hotspot works great too, although I donít use it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Well what if you find an unlimited plan thatís cheaper than most tiered plans? Iím with Visible, paying $25/mo and having no issues with it. Canít beat that anywhere. Comes in handy when home Wi-Fi is slow from congestion during rush hour. Hotspot works great too, although I donít use it much.
    That's very true for most people that use more than 5GB/mo, as long as you have or don't mind buying a Visible compatible phone, and if you don't need any Canada/Mexico/International roaming features.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a (unlocked version)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

One of my sons doesn't have WiFi at his apartment, so his usage can exceed 30GB/mo. He's probably going to switch to Visible when he can get a compatible phone.
    It's probably a toss-up whether it's more expensive to have an unlimited cell data plan or to pay for DSl or cable internet at home to have wifi.

I have home DSL/wifi and a 3gb cell data plan with carryover unused data. I don't think I've ever hit the 3 gb mark. Probably use between 1.5 to 2 GB in a typical month.
    I can't believe I made a typo when entering my screen name....

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by itssjustme View Post
    It's probably a toss-up whether it's more expensive to have an unlimited cell data plan or to pay for DSl or cable internet at home to have wifi.

I have home DSL/wifi and a 3gb cell data plan with carryover unused data. I don't think I've ever hit the 3 gb mark. Probably use between 1.5 to 2 GB in a typical month.
    Sadly, the area he's in is stuck with 10Mbps DSL from AT&T or 100Mbps cable internet from a local independent cable company that is $79.99/mo after a 6 month promo, but includes only 250GB/mo.

So, Visible's unlimited data for $25/mo, hotspot included, is looking pretty good to him.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Sadly, the area he's in is stuck with 10Mbps DSL from AT&T or 100Mbps cable internet from a local independent cable company that is $79.99/mo after a 6 month promo, but includes only 250GB/mo.

So, Visible's unlimited data for $25/mo, hotspot included, is looking pretty good to him.
    That's relatable. My last residence was never served by fiber, only coax cable and 5Mbps DSL, and fairly expensive until fiber crawled into the city shortly before I moved away.

I mostly visited the nearby University when I needed larger files transferred, and had T-Mobile on a tablet to stream content from and hotspot with for work. Luckily that was when Binge On and Music Freedom started, so my usage vs. cost went down when my streaming went zero-rated.

Current residence (in a different state) I share with roommates. So it is easier to splurge for wired broadband now. If I didn't have it, my mobile data usage would still be in double digits rather than the ~5GB/month it has been the last year or so.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a (unlocked version)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score

Yeah, 25/mo definitely sounds like a better deal for him!

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RichG View Post
    May be of interest to people here. Obviously some people use a lot of data and save money with unlimited plans, but not surprisingly it seems that the masses are subsidizing the costs of the outliers. https://reachconnection.reachmobile....limited-report
    Wow, they needed a study to determine this?!

I get 100GB of high speed data shared between four lines, then unlimited low-speed data after that. It's an order of magnitude higher than what we typically use between the four of us, and we make little effort to use Wi-Fi when available. But that 100GB plan is the only family plan Total Wireless offers and it's one of the least expensive family plans available at $95/month. Visible would be about the same at $100 per month for unlimited data.

Feedback Score
    If one gives up daily streaming music and video over LTE, most won't need unlimited plans. I'm a cheapo and $5/month is all I'm willing to spend. Watching videos on the go can wait until I get home to WIFI.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app