Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto G6 a good upgrade over the Moto E4? (AT&T/T-Mobile mvno's)

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

Moto G6 a good upgrade over the Moto E4? (AT&T/T-Mobile mvno's)

nothing wrong with my E4 (Android v7.1).
    I'm looking for a new phone so the E4 becomes my new backup phone.

my current backup phone is the Moto E (2015) which runs Android v5.x and some banking apps now require Android v6.x as the minimum, making the E obsolete.
    (My E is from America and Motorola isnt giving a free upgrade to 6.x for us. )

The reason i want the G6 is it's name.
    I want to tell people i have a Jesus (G6) phone.

but before i spend $ on a silly reason, i want to make sure it's a good upgrade.
    Also, any cheap places to get the G6? eBay???

thx

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Lol!

I have heard that the Motorola G6 line had various issues with wifi and mobile connectivity. You may not run into those issues but there may have been a reason it was replaced with the g7 line rather quickly.

If you got to have a G6, I think LG has a model named the g6 as well!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    The Motorola 6 & 7 series phones seems to have weaker reception than the 4 series from what I have read. This has been true for both Wi-fi & cellular on my E4 Plus compared to the G6 Play.

The G6 Play has been a huge disappointment for me as well. The phone mic & fingerprint sensor have stopped working. The speaker also became distorted & the 9.0 Pie update made the phone sluggish.

On a brighter note, the Play makes as excellent white noise machine!!

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Lol!

I have heard that the Motorola G6 line had various issues with wifi and mobile connectivity. You may not run into those issues but there may have been a reason it was replaced with the g7 line rather quickly.

If you got to have a G6, I think LG has a model named the g6 as well!

hm.. the moto g6 is android v8. the lg g6 is v7.

also, whats the difference between the regular moto g6 and the moto g6 play?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think the main difference between the play and regular G is that the play has less internal memory(ram and storage) and maybe lacks micro SD card expandability. But the play is usually priced cheaper though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    nothing wrong with my E4 (Android v7.1).
    I'm looking for a new phone so the E4 becomes my new backup phone.

my current backup phone is the Moto E (2015) which runs Android v5.x and some banking apps now require Android v6.x as the minimum, making the E obsolete.
    (My E is from America and Motorola isnt giving a free upgrade to 6.x for us. )

The reason i want the G6 is it's name.
    I want to tell people i have a Jesus (G6) phone.

but before i spend $ on a silly reason, i want to make sure it's a good upgrade.
    Also, any cheap places to get the G6? eBay???

thx
    Some benchmark scores for the E4 and G6 from: https://www.androidbenchmark.net/device_list.php
    Higher is faster.

E4 Passmark 2623, CPUMark 46874
    G6 Passmark 5108, CPUMark 96843

The benchmarks indicate that the G6 would be a noticeable performance increase from the E4.

I noticed a moderate performance increase when I switched from a Galaxy S4 (3263/79968) to the G6. The G6 is still at the low end of medium priced phones. It is in no way comparable in performance to a Galaxy S10 or other $1000 flagship phone. The G6 performance is adequate for my needs. That is fortunate because there is no way I would pay $1000 for a cellphone.

I have had no problems with my G6 in over a year. It upgraded to Android 9. I would buy a G7 if the price difference wasn't much.

Feedback Score
    I just moved my Freeup sim back to my old trusty Moto E4 instead of using my G6, G6 Play, G7 or G7 Play. They're all decent phones but reception is a big issue in the areas I frequent. My main sim has gone back in my Huawei Mate SE which, compared to all my Motos, has a superior antenna. My Moto Z3 Play doesn't seem to suffer from the bad antenna problem but it's still not as good as the Mate SE.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I just moved my Freeup sim back to my old trusty Moto E4 instead of using my G6, G6 Play, G7 or G7 Play. They're all decent phones but reception is a big issue in the areas I frequent. My main sim has gone back in my Huawei Mate SE which, compared to all my Motos, has a superior antenna. My Moto Z3 Play doesn't seem to suffer from the bad antenna problem but it's still not as good as the Mate SE.
    Is there a reception difference between the E4 and the G6 and G7 versions?

Feedback Score
    Been a while since I used the E4 but should get a good idea tonight about reception.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G7, Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Speakout, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you buy some of the g6 on amazon or ebay they will have truly lousy reception as they don't have the north american bands of use. Sellers are selling latin am, and euro phones and claiming north america lte. Complete fraud. I bought a US G7 and so far it is excellent for lte and voice.

Feedback Score
    If the OS version is your only concern with the E4 I think you're good for many years to come. Can't beat the E4 in that relative original price range .

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Is there a reception difference between the E4 and the G6 and G7 versions?
    The E4 plus works noticeably better in fringe areas than the G6 play. If you read reviews of the 6 & 7 series, reception issues are noted by quite a number of people coming from the 4 series.

Here is a sample review from Best Buy:

My wife and I both went from a Moto G4 to a Moto G6. The Moto G6 due to the poor quality of the antenna they put in it is constantly on 3G for both of our phones. We live in a city that is 4G everywhere with 200,000+ people in it. On top of that the phone is slower than the G4 which has worse specs. This probably has to do with how the Moto G6 processor interacts with the Android Oreo OS. I returned the phone and paid the 30 restocking fee. I literally paid not to own this phone.
    Last edited by Digital Rules; 12-18-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    If the OS version is your only concern with the E4 I think you're good for many years to come. Can't beat the E4 in that relative original price range .
    but as i said in my OP, my backup phone is becoming obsolete because it's Android v5.
    thus i want to buy a new phone so that the E4 becomes the backup phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Seems like the G line of Motorola phones is suffering from their own success. Later models seem to have been rushed out there.

Is there a successor to the E line? Maybe the E5 or beyond is a better line in terms of price to performance?

The X4 is a solid device from what I've heard.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    but as i said in my OP, my backup phone is becoming obsolete because it's Android v5.
    thus i want to buy a new phone so that the E4 becomes the backup phone.
    If you want a more current phone and the bigger screen that comes with it I certainly understand.
    I'm just partial to the E4 because for me an average (or below) user it seems to be equal to any newer phones that are in the relative price range that the E4 was when it was new or newer, and it's only 5". I have 3 E4's. One is my daily, one is my back-up, one is still new in the sealed box. All factory unlocked xt1768 versions. Picked 2 of them up new sealed box during the $30 Walmart close out. If you really like the E4, it's size and it's capabilities meeting your needs, is buying a good re-furbed E4 (or finding a new cheap left over) for a back-up maybe an option ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast