Thread: Service year expires before new phone arrives.

Feedback Score

Service year expires before new phone arrives.

I'm posting this on behalf of an elderly neighbor of mine who last xmas bought a TracFone LG smartphone from HSN with the 1500 minutes/text/data and 1 year of service deal. The service year is expiring and I justed helped her order a new phone from HSN with the same 1500 deal. The problem is the new phone won't arrive until 2 days after her year of service expires on the current phone. I'm thinking she might have to buy $10 30 minute/30 day service so she doesn't loose her account, but I wanted to know what happens if she lets her old service expire for couple days waiting for the new phone to arrive. Will her account still be active? Will she be able to do the account transfer to the new phone. I doubt her phone number will have been retired that soon, but I'm unsure if she'd loose the minutes/texts/data she had left over from the old phone.

Just trying avoid her paying an extra $10 if she doesn't have to.

Thanks,

Bob

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfollett View Post
    I doubt her phone number will have been retired that soon, but I'm unsure if she'd loose the minutes/texts/data she had left over from the old phone.
    Your worry is backward. The balances of an inactive phone can be reclaimed within 60 days, but the phone number can be gone the next day. Best to spend $10 to keep the phone active.

Feedback Score
    Verizon number will be gone in a flash.

AT&T number will seem to be gone, but customer service can get it back. This happened to me more than once during mess-ups.

This has been my experience. You have to use the good Miami CS.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Spend the $10. The phone will de-activate when the days run out. Almost all Tracfones now days are with Verizon service, and they to lose their phone numbers very quickly after de-activating.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, I'll let her know. She'll probably opt for the $10 card rather than dealing with the loss of her phone number.

Bob

Feedback Score
    You still get value for the $10, so it's not wasted.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The one month addition may help for next year also. This is an extremely busy time, with long waits for activations and transfer of service to new Christmas presents. They may also appreciate not being so rushed with activating a new phone they know nothing about.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    She could do a auto enroll for 8.99 and then cancel when the new phone comes in, saves a buck. Also, I wonder if she would be able to use the free plan based on her income Worth a look.