Thread: T-Mobile (postpaid) or AT&T (prepaid)

Feedback Score

T-Mobile (postpaid) or AT&T (prepaid)

I am currently with AT&T Prepaid and I'm contemplating switching to T-Mobile. I live in the Philly area so both networks have great coverage. I use an iPhone XR so I'll get access to all LTE bands used by both companies. Also, I have an Insider Hookup code so my monthly for the Magenta plan would be $56. I pay less for AT&T but I get a lot of data for about $45. I'm trying to get some feedback on people's experiences to help me determine if it would be worth the extra money to switch.

Feedback Score
    I did extensive testing recently; in my area; the two came out as a wash.

In my case, T-Mo was ten bucks cheaper than AT&T. The tradeoffs were: AT&T had their TV Now product, which I don't care about, but had only 10GB of high speed tethering (I do care about). T-Mo has no TV product but gives me unlimited high speed tethering.

So once I put those issues into the mix, not spending an extra ten bucks with AT&T was a no-brainer.

YMMV. Coverage wise, though, why would you bother moving to t-mo and pay more?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    I did extensive testing recently; in my area; the two came out as a wash.

In my case, T-Mo was ten bucks cheaper than AT&T. The tradeoffs were: AT&T had their TV Now product, which I don't care about, but had only 10GB of high speed tethering (I do care about). T-Mo has no TV product but gives me unlimited high speed tethering.

So once I put those issues into the mix, not spending an extra ten bucks with AT&T was a no-brainer.

YMMV. Coverage wise, though, why would you bother moving to t-mo and pay more?
    What plan offers unlimited high speed tethering? If it’s a grandfathered plan, I don’t see how that will help the OP make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It is a grandfathered plan that I'm still on. Please, don't read too much into that, or take it that I quite "literally" assumed/recommended anything like that to him. Did you read what I wrote? "In my case..." It had nothing to do directly with HIS case, and I made that crystal clear.

I simply described, as an example, my particular individual situational decision making process--as an indication that he, too, will have his own details to address.

And, I very specifically said YMMV.

I guess, for you, I should have simple stopped at "I did....." because that's all you read.

Feedback Score
    It's going to be largely dependent on your area and needs as a customer. Does the amount of data you get for $45 meet your needs? Also does At&t meet your coverage needs where you live and visit, if the answer is yes to both of those, not sure why you'd look to switch, unless of course you just want to try something new, which there isn't anything wrong with. If the answer is no to one or both, TMobile may be a viable option to switch to. See if you have any friends, neighbors, co workers, etc. that use TMobile and ask them their experiences with their coverage in your area to see if they meet your coverage needs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    As a fellow iPhone user: I can tell you that if you’d like to have the ability to use WiFi calling extending to any MacBook or iPad (signed into with the same Apple ID) on your home network... Then T-Mobile postpaid is the only option out of the two that supports this feature.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017