Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No Wi-Fi Calling (or VoLTE?) on $85 ($75 Autopay) Plan

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score

No Wi-Fi Calling (or VoLTE?) on $85 ($75 Autopay) Plan

Since there seems to be a handful of topics on this at a few places on Reddit, I thought I'd start the discussion here (maybe more centralized data points from people with context). There have been reports of Wi-Fi calling not working on the most expensive data plan, with a supported device. Sometimes it appears to provision (AT&T Wi-Fi appears as the carrier text) and then calls fail.

Between the rumors that AT&T is phasing out Wi-Fi calling for prepaid (and Cricket, too), the fact that this is to make an arguably good plan suck just a little, and that other things like that, I'm more inclined to believe that this is some sort of bug that hasn't been addressed. It sounds like some reps have answered different things to support or deny this, too.

I'm on the 8GB plan (Walmart promo) and VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling both are enabled and working on my iPhone 11. I have family on Cricket (and another line on Cricket) on both the 3Mbps grandfathered plan and the Cricket More plan and all of those on iPhone also works. If AT&T really was walking back on Wi-Fi calling outside of postpaid, why would they release it for Cricket about two years ago and why would they release it for Prepaid less than a year ago?

If you're on the higher-tier AT&T Prepaid plan, have you run into this? Is VoLTE working, but not Wi-Fi calling? Are you falling back to HSPA+ for calls? Some people claim it's because the plan itself doesn't have Wi-Fi calling provisioned.

Device(s)
    iPhone6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can confirm that WiFi Calling doesn’t work on the $75 Unlimited Plan. I get an error message stating to turn WiFi calling off. This makes me very angry because just about all Prepaid carriers cap video speeds expect AT&T. I know I can use a VPN but speeds are still slow. I’m looking into leaving AT&T now because there’s many spots that AT&T doesn’t have service with Edge being taken offline. People rely on WiFi Calling where there service can’t reach. Making this a premium feature is downright wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    TheTechKing

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Good ol’ AT&T...

Not the best idea. Wi-Fi calling keeps people off the network while connected. Seems like their goal is to push prepaid subscribers to other carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Good ol’ AT&T...

Not the best idea. Wi-Fi calling keeps people off the network while connected. Seems like their goal is to push prepaid subscribers to other carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what it seems like. Att seems to be trying to clean house on plans and customers they don't deem premium enough

Wouldn't surprise me if they started charging $2 a month for WiFi calling

They seem to prefer 10 high paying customers over 100 lower paying even if it means the same revenue. I know they have to pay down but they seem to be concentrating on the short term while pushing long term aside
    Last edited by Guest597; 12-18-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I would think that this is just a temporary issue. Wi-Fi calling is a feature over most (not all) MVNOs. Like the worries recently about bonus data.

It is "possible" that they are doing some backend updates in preparation to allowing VoLTE, etc, to be available for more MVNOs.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S & SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As good a job as AT&T does with Cricket they really seem to drop the ball when it comes to their own AT&T Prepaid.

Feedback Score
    WIFI Calling absolutely does not work with BYOD Android devices on AT&T prepaid or postpaid. There have been some posts on Reddit that Pixel devices get VoLTE. Some posts leave me to believe all IPhones get VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling and other posts just AT&T models. Cricket seems to be an even bigger crap shoot.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    WIFI Calling absolutely does not work with BYOD Android devices on AT&T prepaid or postpaid. There have been some posts on Reddit that Pixel devices get VoLTE. Some posts leave me to believe all IPhones get VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling and other posts just AT&T models. Cricket seems to be an even bigger crap shoot.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    I had Wi-Fi and VoLTE on my Verizon model iPhone X earlier this year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I had Wi-Fi and VoLTE on my Verizon model iPhone X earlier this year.
    Yeah, on both AT&T Prepaid and Cricket, any iPhone 6 or newer should be supported if your account is provisioned for VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. On the Android side, AT&T has made it complicated for BYOD.

Carrier(s)
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I have a pixel 3a with both volte and wifi calling on prepaid att

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S & SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just for kicks, today i tried WiFi calling again and while it still doesn't work, instead of the usual dropped call today i got a pre-recorded AT&T message that said "WiFi calling does not work with your AT&T plan, to get the most out of your AT&T plan go into settings and turn WiFi calling off".

Feedback Score
    Given AT&T's push to wring every last cent from their customers (their comments about "high value" customers on DirecTV), this is no accident.

I fully expect them to start picking things from each plan to pull in the hopes that customers who can, will move to higher revenue generating post-paid plans.

If I go back to post-paid, it won't be on AT&T.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    It makes no sense that they would start with the $85 plan to remove features. Wi-Fi calling still works on my $65($45 with discount) unlimited plan.

If they take that away I’m gone. I would think they would start with the cheaper plans, not the most expensive ones.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It makes no sense that they would start with the $85 plan to remove features. Wi-Fi calling still works on my $65($45 with discount) unlimited plan.

If they take that away I’m gone. I would think they would start with the cheaper plans, not the most expensive ones.
    Agreed...it seems there's a group of folks who immediately jumped to "AT&T is awful and they're going to ruin everything on purpose" when it's often ruining things as a side-effect of incompetence or cheapness. It just seems odd that only one plan was affected (and arguably the biggest profit margin for them for Prepaid as people may have it, but not be streaming HD video 24/7). If I were trying to find ways to make things less good for the sake of encouraging people to move upmarket, I'd start with either Cricket or the lower-priced plans (maybe the no-data and 1GB ones?)

I could name about 10-15 things that probably save more money or could be made "premium" features, but I don't necessarily want to give AT&T any ideas that would hurt my current services (AT&T Prepaid and Cricket).

Besides that, it's just a really weird feature to remove, as there's a lot of people who barely use their phones for calling.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    When I last had ATT Postpaid, a feature that was advertised on their web site stopped working when I changed to a slightly better plan. Hours on the phone would get it to work, finally, then when the new plan month started it would break again. Finally drove me to prepaid.

So I'm leaning toward incompetence right now. Some computer issue for a few accounts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast