Thread: Android RCS on T-Mobile?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    It’s a sign Shilo: Come join us on Team Apple. (Yeah I know that’s never gonna happen)
    Not if he values choice and customization he won't It's easy when you only have one phone to worry about, like Ford used to say, you can have it in any color, as long as it's black lol

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Can someone explain what this "RCS" does/is?
    Google's press release:

https://www.blog.google/products/rcs...ndroid-us-rcs/

Short answer is that it makes messaging more like iMessage. Unlike iMessage RCS is not encrypted nor is it compatible with iMessage; messages to your friends with an iDevice will fall back to SMS/MMS just like anybody else without an RCS compatible device.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    It’s a sign Shilo: Come join us on Team Apple. (Yeah I know that’s never gonna happen)
    LOL thanks buddy good to see your Post again. After having three of four iPhone 4 break and paying $150 twice with a re-Certificates replacement. I’m not sure I am allowed in a Apple store since it got a little heated last time they wanted another $150 for a replacement phone. The i4 was the one Steve Jobs coined the term “Antenna-gate”.

I also don’t like Apples closed garden environment. Just don’t understand why Google fails with every new text application. I must have used Google’s Hangout for text for about six months and it is still the worst app I have ever used. Lucky since Android has a Open App market I found a few third party text Apps that I liked. I am giving this new RCS App a chance but sure hope Textra gets a RCS update.

Feedback Score
    I might consider joining Team Apple if they took care of such basic flaws as fixing the broken file system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LOL thanks buddy good to see your Post again. After having three of four iPhone 4 break and paying $150 twice with a re-Certificates replacement. I’m not sure I am allowed in a Apple store since it got a little heated last time they wanted another $150 for a replacement phone. The i4 was the one Steve Jobs coined the term “Antenna-gate”.

I also don’t like Apples closed garden environment. Just don’t understand why Google fails with every new text application. I must have used Google’s Hangout for text for about six months and it is still the worst app I have ever used. Lucky since Android has a Open App market I found a few third party text Apps that I liked. I am giving this new RCS App a chance but sure hope Textra gets a RCS update.
    Yeah Shiloh, what do you think of the scandal of Apple shipping phones with defective batteries and actually charging people to get them fixed? Monumentally tone-deaf, their response to the outrage was an excuse like "well, we could have charged you MORE! Bwahaha!" Also, consider that Apple is giving everyone's personal information to the government of mainland China. Google isn't doing this (yet!)

And you are right about "closed garden". It simply means that you can only use what some aloof and unqualified cardinals in Cupertino think you need, not what YOU actually need.

And about RCS, you are right. The headlines that it is available for all are false. No matter what trick I try, it is always blocked by my carrier (T-Mobile).

Feedback Score
    And it suddenly turned on!

Feedback Score
    Updated google messages on my non TMobile device and scanned through my messages history and found someone that showed up as Chat" message. Funnily enough he was in the UK and I'm in the USA. Sent him a few messages.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    OnePlus 7 pro flashed to international and it works fine after latest carrier services update

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Funnily enough he was in the UK and I'm in the USA.
    I knew chat was enabled and the first person I found that it worked with is a friend of mine in Canada. It's funny to hear somebody else have a similar experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    I knew chat was enabled and the first person I found that it worked with is a friend of mine in Canada. It's funny to hear somebody else have a similar experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My other person was apprehensive, he within a few messages told me to continue chat in WhatsApp

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    My problem was solves and it is Google ridiculous failing. The new RCS “Messages” is a different app with the same name as the Google App installed on my Samsung S9 which I can’t delete. The old non-RCS App called “Messages” Where the iCon looks a little like a blue circle with a white brick with three holes is what would not text only personal text to a friends iPhone and if I hit resend the app would close.

I went to the App Store and found the new RCR version of “Messages” that icon was blue circle with white quote and three blue lines inside. I cannot believe that Google is stupid enough to have different versions of the text app using the same name. My friend with the iPad is in the hospital and was not able to get my texts with stupid non-RCS issue. How does a brilliant company like Google continues to screw up text apps. Google has over 7 text Apps .
    That probably wasn't "Google ridiculous failing", but Samsung's.

Samsung replaces many of Google's core Android apps with their own versions (e.g. "Messages" is Samsung's, not Google's, "Email" is Samsung's, not Android's stock email app or Google's "Gmail".)

So, since Samsung's Messages doesn't support RCS, you had to go download the "real" Google Messages app.

Personally I don't care about RCS, so I don't use Google Messages (too slow and bloated.) Texting was one of those things that for me fell squarely into the "if it ain't broke" category. If I want to use IRC, I'll use any of the wonderful extant IRC applications. They don't need to morph SMS into something it isn't...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Can someone explain what this "RCS" does/is?
    Try this for an explanation:

Rich Communication Services (RCS) is the protocol that will replace SMS, but it got off to a very slow start. It was formed by a group of industry promoters in 2007 and brought under the wings of the GSM Association, a trade group, in 2008. But carrier participation and other factors kept it from gaining much traction for nearly a decade. In 2018, Google announced it had been working with major cell phone carriers worldwide to adopt the RCS protocol. The result is Chat, the protocol based on the RCS Universal Profile — a global standard for enacting RCS that lets subscribers from different carriers and countries communicate with each other — intended to eventually supersede SMS.

Chat is evolving to look a lot like iMessage and other messaging apps, but there are also some neat extras in store. Google has been working with businesses to add helpful features to Chat to improve communications, like branded informational messaging and sharing content like images, video clips, and gifs, or sending live updates about upcoming trips and boarding passes, and perhaps even allowing customers to select airline seats from within Android Messages. Chat is hardware agnostic, so it will work across multiple devices. It’s even possible that Chat could work on iOS, though Apple has yet to support the protocol.

But Chat is missing one critical element: While the original RCS protocol allowed the implementation of client-to-server encryption, Chat does not offer end-to-end encryption like iMessage or Signal. Rather, it retains the same legal intercept standards as its SMS predecessor.
    Chat is a protocol, not an app

Chat is not designed to be just another Android messaging app: It’s the user-friendly name for the RCS protocol or RCS Universal Profile. Chat will initially be available only on two apps: Android Messages and Samsung Messages. While this may seem a bit restrictive, most smartphone manufacturers ship with Android’s default messaging app. There are a lot of moving pieces required for Chat to work. First, your carrier must support the protocol. You’ll also need to have a device and messaging app that supports Chat. Finally, your recipient will need to have Chat too, otherwise, Chat messages revert to SMS.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...rcs-messaging/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I might consider joining Team Apple if they took care of such basic flaws as fixing the broken file system.
    Are you kidding? They've spent years on Macintosh breaking the fixed and functional file system.

And I can say that--I use Macintosh computers exclusively in my business and family worlds (save for my Windows Media Center box), and have for the last 31 years.

I don't, however, use iPhones or iPads. I know nothing about them. Never wanted to.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So correct me if I am wrong but if you use the new Google RCS Message Chat it bypasses T-Mobile to the Google Servers now.

Feedback Score
    Was wondering if Messages when it gets an RCS message does it store it in the Android SMS database so it will be available to other SMS clients? Or is moving to Android Messages a one way street?

I use and like Textra, and I've used Messages but the text was always available from any SMS client. The main thing that bugs me about Messages is that if you delete 10 messages it'll be displaying about each message being deleted for a minute or two (or at least it did when multi-delete came out).

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast