Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Delays CDMA Shutdown a year - Is Tracfone too?

Feedback Score

Verizon Delays CDMA Shutdown a year - Is Tracfone too?

Any update on Tracfone's CDMA shutdown date:

ALSO

I have a non/VOLTE Samsung Galaxy 4. It has 4G LTE and both Global, LTE/CDMA, and LTE/GSM/UMTS.

I remember years ago, Tracfone offered CDMA in some areas and GSM in others.

If CDMA is shutdown, what about GSM?

Feedback Score
    AT&T is supposedly going to shutdown 3G sometime in 2022.

Verizon is going to keep the CDMA network going until December 31, 2020 (unless they delay it again). I believe Tracfone will be using that date, but their reps might say something else. During that time, CDMA will remain available, but service may degrade overtime as Towers go bad and VZ might just keep it as LTE only.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The shutoff for activations will occur well before December 31, 2020.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I believe they stopped activating new 3G activations on VZW a few months ago (for MVNO's at least). Verizon will no longer allow like for like transfers and swapping SIM cards from VoLTE devices to non VoLTE devices.

Feedback Score
    Be careful, I get a lot of hate from Verizon nazis for saying that Verizon LTE is nowhere to be found in many places. I will grant them that they are definitely making noticeable progress but there are still plenty of locations where I cannot use Verizon VoLTE, especially indoors.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    Be careful, I get a lot of hate from Verizon nazis for saying that Verizon LTE is nowhere to be found in many places.
    Part of that issue is that TF smartphones don't roam. While the Verizon coverage map shows most of the continental US, in some areas coverage is provided to bona-fide Verizon customers by local providers which have contract with Verizon, but TF/Verizon smartphones have no service at all. I drive from Kansas through Missouri to Iowa every few years, I have to carry one phone on TF/AT&T and one on TF/Verizon, because there are areas that only have service from one carrier or the other.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I have to carry one phone on TF/AT&T and one on TF/Verizon, because there are areas that only have service from one carrier or the other.
    Carrying phones on 2 different networks while traveling has been a thing for a long time. Even with phones that roamed, as that can be unreliable. I saw an interesting detailed report a number of years ago from some travelers with Tracfones going around the western states. There are still some big signal holes in sparsely populated areas. WiFi calling might help this some, but it may not work with the often poor performance of the satellite Internet found in these places. Unfortunately, only T-Mobile offers that to the MVNOs, and their coverage is very poor.

Feedback Score
    Part of that issue is that TF smartphones don't roam. While the Verizon coverage map shows most of the continental US, in some areas coverage is provided to bona-fide Verizon customers by local providers which have contract with Verizon, but TF/Verizon smartphones have no service at all. I drive from Kansas through Missouri to Iowa every few years, I have to carry one phone on TF/AT&T and one on TF/Verizon, because there are areas that only have service from one carrier or the other.
    OK, yes, I have one TF /ATT and one TF Verizon and have had for years now. When I travel and camp through out the west, you never know if one or the other or neither will work.

Is there a good thread about this migration/shut down for us common folk and how it will effect us TF users? I kind of like my moto G7 ATT GSM and e5 Verizon CDMA .

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    People think there is some huge switch that they'll pull precisely on that day. The fact is if a CDMA cell site goes down between now and then they are going to replace it with LTE or depending on the area 5G equipment (that works on LTE) and be done with it. Verizon needs that spectrum for LTE and 5G which is where their bread is buttered.

I doubt very much Verizon has extended this for their postpaid base which almost surely is very near 100% VoLTE now but for the MVNO base where their wholesale customers risk losing customers over this. They've given ample warning and this will happen more likely ahead of scheduled date at least in some areas.

AT&T killed 2G in my area a full 6 months ahead of their announced end date.

If I had a non VoLTE phone on Verizon right now I'd have a plan to get something within the next 6 months and maybe that plan is moving to another underlying carrier if you feel the LTE coverage isn't up to snuff comparatively.

Maybe a good thread would be 'Inexpensive Phones that are Verizon VoLTE Compatible' listing phones people have that they KNOW work with it that are inexpensive and available.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Maybe a good thread would be 'Inexpensive Phones that are Verizon VoLTE Compatible' listing phones people have that they KNOW work with it that are inexpensive and available.
    Pretty much all the TF-branded "VL" models introduced since mid-2018 are VoLTE compatible, as long as the SIM is provisioned for VoLTE.

As for BYOP phones, there are hundreds if not thousands of different models, and I don't think any of them fall into the Inexpensive category (under $60 or so by Tracfone users' standards).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Is there a good thread about this migration/shut down for us common folk and how it will effect us TF users? I kind of like my moto G7 ATT GSM and e5 Verizon CDMA .
    There are several other threads appropriately titled under most of the MVNOs that are vzw. Somemore right here under TF.
    Your G7 and E5 should be good to go. They're both VoLTE. May need a sim re-provision depending how old it is.

And like @offthegrid pointed out, little by little over the next year, not all at once. The MVNOs were pushing the end of this year even after it was extended because they want people to change ASAP/now, because they can't guarantee when your area will end. If your tower breaks it may not get fixed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Is there a good thread about this migration/shut down for us common folk and how it will effect us TF users?
    This list has been updated from it's original publication.
    https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...rk-phones.html

Yes, the BYOP situation is a mess. Some older Verizon branded "Flagship" phones that are VoLTE capable will only work directly on Verizon.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Pretty much all the TF-branded "VL" models introduced since mid-2018 are VoLTE compatible, as long as the SIM is provisioned for VoLTE.

As for BYOP phones, there are hundreds if not thousands of different models, and I don't think any of them fall into the Inexpensive category (under $60 or so by Tracfone users' standards).
    Given the situation maybe a sticky would be in order saying that type of thing though so people don't have to search for it through dozens of threads. Your first sentence would likely be all people would need at least to avoid a no service issue if they are not familiar with what's going to happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Given the situation maybe a sticky would be in order saying that type of thing though so people don't have to search for it through dozens of threads.
    Yes, there should be a place for very important subjects like this that are is easy to get to. Have no idea how you get a sticky published on HoFo. It may take a moderator. There is a very large thread I think started by tfusr19 a couple of years ago.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Have no idea how you get a sticky published on HoFo. It may take a moderator.
    Member veriztd is a Super Moderator, you could ask him to make a sticky post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast