Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Verizon Delays CDMA Shutdown a year - Is Tracfone too?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Member veriztd is a Super Moderator, you could ask him to make a sticky post.
    An excellent idea. Someone who is a good teacher who can bring themselves down to my level could give a description of where we are now with CDMA vs GSM and now VoLTE and where we are going. I will ask veriztd.
    Single sideband suppressed carrier Chris

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Done. This thread is a good source of information for those seeking it.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Done. This thread is a good source of information for those seeking it.
    Thanks for doing that.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofer Trunnions View Post
    Any update on Tracfone's CDMA shutdown date:

ALSO

I have a non/VOLTE Samsung Galaxy 4. It has 4G LTE and both Global, LTE/CDMA, and LTE/GSM/UMTS.

I remember years ago, Tracfone offered CDMA in some areas and GSM in others.

If CDMA is shutdown, what about GSM?
    Pretty sure that Tracfone's brands that use Verizon will be on the same schedule as Verizon itself for CDMA.

I think that the date was extended a year more for all the non-mobile phone devices still on CDMA. It's extremely rare for a mobile phone with LTE to not connect to Verizon LTE, though I do recall seeing the 3G symbol once in December 2019 in an area with low signal strength.

Last week I was in a National Park and was able to send and receive texts but had no data service at all, and I guess this was on CDMA. But this was way off the road on a trail. At least there was some service on Verizon, the people with other carriers that were in our group had no service at all.

When CDMA is turned off there will definitely be some areas that no longer have any service at all. The same thing didn't happen when AT&T turned off GSM because HSDPA (W-CDMA) and LTE have greater range than GSM.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    When CDMA is turned off there will definitely be some areas that no longer have any service at all. The same thing didn't happen when AT&T turned off GSM because HSDPA (W-CDMA) and LTE have greater range than GSM.
    Pretty sure I saw some areas lost coverage when ATT turned off GSM, but not sure if it really affected many users.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Pretty sure I saw some areas lost coverage when ATT turned off GSM, but not sure if it really affected many users.
    I thought that they did not turn off any GSM service on any cell unless it was replaced with W-CDMA or LTE coverage. I guess it's possible that there were some GSM cells that were simply removed because they believed that they were not necessary for complete coverage anymore.

I know that when analog service was shut down in Canada, and presumably in the U.S., that a lot of coverage was lost in more remote areas. GM's original OnStar service was analog cellular and worked well in remote areas, in Canada it was on Bell Mobility. Really, one selling point of OnStar was that it had very good coverage because analog cellular could reach long distances. The digital OnStar service covered a much smaller area.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I thought that they did not turn off any GSM service on any cell unless it was replaced with W-CDMA or LTE coverage. I guess it's possible that there were some GSM cells that were simply removed because they believed that they were not necessary for complete coverage anymore.
    AT&T turned off 2G GSM at the end of 2016. 3G is still active until they shut it down in 2022. Many Tracfone models of the time were 2G only, so had to be replaced.

Yes, analog service was great for reception in remote areas. All the carriers had it back in the day, so it was seamless no matter where you where. You did get roaming charges though, as there were restricted "home" areas with most service. Tracfone charged 2X minutes for roaming then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2