Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: use low-speed data mode NOW and save high-speed gigs for later

Feedback Score

use low-speed data mode NOW and save high-speed gigs for later

I currently use Verizon Prepaid and would like to save my high-speed bandwidth allotment for the end of the subscription month when I will be traveling and using Google Maps Streetview and other high-bandwidth services. Is there any (non-unlimited) prepaid service provider that will let me manually switch to the unlimited low-speed mode (128 kilobytes/sec for Verizon) early in the month and save the high-speed data for the critical times when I really need it?

I had made the huge mistake of leaving a PC tethered and unattended on web pages that auto-played videos that I never asked for or wanted, eating up considerable bandwidth. For most web browsing that I do, 128 kbit/s is fast enough, and also offers the added advantage of indicating when a web page is engaging in "bandwidth abuse". I could of course install bandwidth throttling apps, ad-blockers, script-blockers, and other browser plugins, to cut down on bandwidth banditry, but I'd still be using my rationed high-speed gigs.

Does anyone know a way, other than buying an unlimited data plan, to to ensure that my high-speed gigs will be available at the end of the month rather than just at the beginning?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    A setting on this Android phone allows turning off "enhanced 4G LTE mode" but speed tests remain about the same with either setting. There are several other options on the phone menu that might potentially allow turning off LTE entirely and thus going back to 3g and it's inherently lower speeds and presumably without LTE's bandwidth allotment (and if not, there really needs to be -- though of course, such a feature would affect the telecom carrier's profitably negatively when used this way as a workaround to paying for a higher tier of service).

Feedback Score
    Get a cheap unlimited 2G data plan on a MNVO like Tello for $5 a month and use that on a separate device entirely purely for data tethering.

Feedback Score
    Tello tethering is not unlimited...unlimited 2G for phone only.

Feedback Score
    if its android, cant you use the data saver mode.. this has been perfect for me... only a handful apps are allowed background data on my phone.. the rest of the apps only consume data when you go open up and interact with them..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD63 View Post
    Tello tethering is not unlimited...unlimited 2G for phone only.
    unless you use an unlocked phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    unless you use an unlocked phone
    you can also use PDANet

Feedback Score
    you can control speed on a Router...so why don't you let the router connect to your phone and then you connect to router WiFi

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rooted? If so there's apps that will allow you to throttle connection speed.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    While it's not designed to work that way, you could modify your apn settings to force your phone into 3g mode.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I had the same problem with Windows 10 using up bandwidth like crazy unless you watch it like a hawk.

Windows is always trying to download something even when you disable updates.

And a lot of web pages auto play videos and they turn the sound off so you don't notice it. I don't know anyone that wants videos to auto play.

You can turn video auto play off in many browsers which helps with that one issue.

The only way I found to handle it is to manually monitor the task manager network usage while using the hotspot but sounds like you already do that.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies.

It seems that Verizon's Jetpack MiFi supports manually switching between 3G and 4G, per community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Jetpack-4G-LTE-Mobile-Hotspot/Can-a-user-switch-a-mifi-7730-between-3g-4g/td-p/1048445

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    While it's not designed to work that way, you could modify your apn settings to force your phone into 3g mode.
    That might work if I Verizon has dedicated APNs for 3G and I can discover one (which a Verizon support tech said in the non-link above they will not publicly give out). I've also found a few APN changer/manager apps, but as yet none newer than 5 years old. (I've not rooted this phone yet, if that's what's needed to install unapproved apps or turn greyed-out settings to black)

In Android's "**/Access Point Names/Edit access point" everything in the list is greyed out except "APN", and it shows I'm connected to "VZWINTERNET" and there are two other choices that get listed (a selection which sometimes [but rarely] changes) if I keep repeatedly going through the process, such as: "VZWINTER NET" and "VZWINTER GET" and "VZWINTER LET" and "yVZWINTERNET" "yVZWINTER NET" and "eVZWINTERNET", etc.

I've not yet tried switching to (and finding) every one of them yet, but so far when I connect they all say 4g LTS, and Phone service works but internet does not work either on phone or PC for any of the alternate APNs. (signal too weak perhaps?)

Feedback Score
    i am pretty sure on every carrier the 'throttled' 2G or 3G data is actually 4G LTE when available but slowed down and that the 'high speed bucket' is the first data used regardless of the actual speed or network technology.

the concept is to offer slowed down data in place of a total cut

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    What setting in apn controls this? It makes sense that dropping from lte to 3g (in areas still supporting 3g) would slow things down. Although, I suppose if still supported in the area, 3g should still be possible. 3G speeds are typically .5 - 2.5 mbps. Still usable but plenty slow.

Vzw usually locks out network mode changing so other means will need to be used. *#*#4636#*#*, about half way down note the current network mode then change network model to cdma auto (prl). This may or may not survive reboots.

To the OP, what's the device in question?

Edit: Disregard all of the above. There is no way to choose which bucket the data comes out from. As in the previous post, usage comes out of the high speed bucket first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast