Thread: Xfinity Changes The Rules

Feedback Score

Xfinity Changes The Rules

I got an email a few days back stating that my Grandfathered No Data Charge plan was being sunsetted in February, 2020. No real explanation, but it has to be about the $$. It's always about the $$, isn't it?

Anyway, I have two lines with them that I will cancel since I have only used the [email protected]$12 option once to test it. For those who aren't familiar with this older plan, it provided unlimited voice & text for about $1.60 a month per line in my case, and then if you use over the included 100Mb of data, it was at $12Gb.

I wanted it as a second line and backup service in my iPhone 11 Pro Max in parallel with my base carrier on esim, T-Mobile and mostly as a test and novelty.

They really don't seem to understand the cellular industry too well and this is the second time they have made major changes in the past 12 months to their plans.

If this is not the proper forum for this, I expect the mods to move it. I did a search and found nothing so far.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I got an email a few days back stating that my Grandfathered No Data Charge plan was being sunsetted in February, 2020. No real explanation, but it has to be about the $$. It's always about the $$, isn't it?

Anyway, I have two lines with them that I will cancel since I have only used the [email protected]$12 option once to test it. For those who aren't familiar with this older plan, it provided unlimited voice & text for about $1.60 a month per line in my case, and then if you use over the included 100Mb of data, it was at $12Gb.

I wanted it as a second line and backup service in my iPhone 11 Pro Max in parallel with my base carrier on esim, T-Mobile and mostly as a test and novelty.

They really don't seem to understand the cellular industry too well and this is the second time they have made major changes in the past 12 months to their plans.

If this is not the proper forum for this, I expect the mods to move it. I did a search and found nothing so far.
    It's about how Verizon charges them. Unless you expect a company to provide you a service at a loss or expect other paying customers to pay your share.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    It's about how Verizon charges them. Unless you expect a company to provide you a service at a loss or expect other paying customers to pay your share.
    I didn't expect anyone to pay anything. Comcast offered it and I accepted. And I am one of those other customers who are subsidizing this with my $300 a month Comcast subscription. Oh well, I did get a $100 gift card for porting in a line to open an account, so I'm still about $80 ahead on the deal. I suppose if I really want the VZ second line, there is always Red Pocket for $60 a year. If only Sprint still had the free year of service available. A boy can dream...

Feedback Score
    It's always about the $$, isn't it?
    Yep, and it works both ways, as you're proving.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Yep, and it works both ways, as you're proving.
    Absolutely. They sent me direct marketing for this at the price I was paying. Now that that price has changed it no longer is an attractive commodity, so I decline to continue purchasing it. Free Market at it's finest. I suspect it was a loss leader with this increase built into the system, but I'm sure we'll never know. I also doubt they'll be very successful with the program, but time will tell.

Edited to add: I found that Red Pocket/Verizon can be had with 500Mb, 100 minutes, 100 texts @$60 for 360 days on Ebay. This is fairly comparable to the 1Gb for two lines from Xfinity for my usage requirements. It also demonstrates to me how little the data side of the Verizon service costs since this has been available for a while and is not a promo offer. I can have 1Gb total for two lines for $10, has no fees. With Xfinity's new plan that would be around $16 or so per month inc. fees.
    Last edited by daleraver; 12-22-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I have the exact same setup and have not received any such email.

I've had the plan over a year now. When did you receive this email!?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I have the exact same setup and have not received any such email.

I've had the plan over a year now. When did you receive this email!?

I got it on 12-18 and my wife got the same one around then in her email.

Here's a few copy & paste from the message.

"To make the shared data amounts available to everyone, we are moving customers on our original plan to the second generation plan. This move will occur on your February billing cycle end date."

I cancelled both my lines 12-20-19 and got a confirmation email from Xfi Mobile.

"Two key differences we want to highlight:

You may experience temporarily slower data when the LTE network is unusually busy.

By the Gig no longer includes an allowance of 100 MB of shared data. In other words, you'll pay a minimum of $12/mo per account for cellular data for your By the Gig lines."

I cancelled both lines on the 19th and got a confirmation email 12-20-19.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I got it on 12-18 and my wife got the same one around then in her email.

Here's a few copy & paste from the message.

"To make the shared data amounts available to everyone, we are moving customers on our original plan to the second generation plan. This move will occur on your February billing cycle end date."

I cancelled both my lines 12-20-19 and got a confirmation email from Xfi Mobile.

"Two key differences we want to highlight:

You may experience temporarily slower data when the LTE network is unusually busy.

By the Gig no longer includes an allowance of 100 MB of shared data. In other words, you'll pay a minimum of $12/mo per account for cellular data for your By the Gig lines."

I cancelled both lines on the 19th and got a confirmation email 12-20-19.
    This is very interesting, as I again checked my email and haven't received any such notification.

I too will cancel if this ends up being the case.

I'm in Atlanta, where are you!?

Feedback Score
    I got the email also. I have two lines on Xfinity. Now I'll cancel one and they'll lose out on the cost of the other line. I rarely use more then a GB and last month, was 0.69GB used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This is very interesting, as I again checked my email and haven't received any such notification.

I too will cancel if this ends up being the case.

I'm in Atlanta, where are you!?

I’m in Oregon. We have very low junk fees and the 911 charge is only around $1.50 a month per line I believe. My monthly charges for 2 lines totaled $3.60 every month since I only used 1 Gb of data for a single month for testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    I got the email also. I have two lines on Xfinity. Now I'll cancel one and they'll lose out on the cost of the other line. I rarely use more then a GB and last month, was 0.69GB used.
    The 1 [email protected]$12 is spread across all lines on the account, so cancelling a line probably benefits them more than you. You can still use the total Gb and the other line will have the same voice/text service they have currently. Seems like you’ll only save the line fees & 911 billing for the dropped line.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Still no notification on my end; which makes me wonder is this "market" specific!?

Very intresting of it is, perhaps cause Atlanta is "hyper" competitive!?

I'll keep you guys posted.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    I did not originally see that email either, but one time when I went to empty my spam emails, there it was. I am pretty sure it is going to happen for everyone at that same time.

Also, that explains why some of us had reported receiving a credit on our bills recently. When I checked my most recent bill, it looks like they are already charging the extra $12, but the credit brings it back to around our old rate for now, until the official change date.

Feedback Score
    I also received a credit for $4.80 out of the blue. I have no idea what it was for, as there was no explanation with the message. I suspect it was they had billed me over the minor State cellular fees for a while and this was an adjustment for those charges.