Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LTE vs 3g Call quality

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

LTE vs 3g Call quality

So if I keep my phone (iphone Xs) set on LTE/VOLTE I get mainly 2 or 3 bars most everywhere and when I am at 2 bars or less the call quality is terrible. It's difficult for people to understand me at times, it's difficult to hear them properly at times, and the overall experience is not good. On the other hand, if I force the phone to 3g the calls are usually superb. Even in the exact same spot where the LTE calls are just awful.
    I'd just keep the phone on 3g all the time and just switch it when I needed to use data, but I have read that Verizon is doing away with its 3g network pretty soon.
    The question then is, are they really going to be ready when this happens or is their service which was at one time the best out there, just going to be really bad?
    While I understand the need for speed and to satisfy 16 year olds who want not much more than the fastest experience to download and play their games, what happens to the rest of us who honestly feel that the main use for a cellphone is to use it as a phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Just to add clarity: When you force your phone to 3G calls are routed over the legacy 1xRTT network not the 3G (EVDO) network.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've found that 1xRTT calls are usually more stable but with lower-quality audio, whereas VoLTE has higher-quality audio but cuts out more.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I understand.. both of you. Problem is, none VoLTE calls on LTE sound awful unless the signal strength is decent which just doesn't seem to happen enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Yes, I understand.. both of you. Problem is, none VoLTE calls on LTE sound awful unless the signal strength is decent which just doesn't seem to happen enough.
    I have no problem with volte with 1 to 2 bars of LTE signal. Audio quality is perfect with no dropouts.

Feedback Score
    They sound awful on iPhones. Not samsung . I have Verizon also a note 10 plus . My mom has the newest iphone 11 pro also on Verizon. In many areas were Verizon signal gets bad here in Los Angeles which I know a few places .. were both phones get 1 little bar lte . The iPhone 11 sounds TERRIBLE. My note 10 plus CRYSTAL clear and loud and perfect and yes with 1 little bar of lte . I even let her borrow my phone the other day at Ross. In that store both phones had very crappy signal 1 little bar of lte . Hers was pretty bad she couldn't hear anything and it kept cutting out so she hanged up. And told me to let her borrow my phone . She was amazed at how good and loud it sounded and it didn't cut out and yes again this was with 1 little bar of lte . She was like dam I should have gotten a Samsung instead . ...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have absolutely no phone call issues with my Moto G5+. Sound quality is excellent and never get dropouts. Radios make a difference.

I'm a full time RV'er and spend time all over the West, signal quality varies. Some of my iPhone friends are constantly battling this issue.

Feedback Score
    Interesting how everyone's experience is different. When I use my Verizon iPhone SE, I have excellent voice quality on VoLTE down to one bar. When the call goes over CDMA, the voice quality is TERRIBLE even with strong signal. To the point where I cannot understand what the other person is saying.

Feedback Score
    Voice calls over VoLTE has always been superior to CDMA calls hands down. In the end its not going to mater in about a year when CDMA gets shut down you're not going to be able to force your phone to CDMA anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Just to add clarity: When you force your phone to 3G calls are routed over the legacy 1xRTT network not the 3G (EVDO) network.
    Well except in areas where Verizon doesn't have any 850 MHz

Feedback Score
    On my Samsung S10 and my wife's moto G7 the VoLTE calls are absolutely superb. At no signal level (at work I barely have one dot) do they sound "bad", always the codec is at least HDVoice (or HDVoice+, depending on the other end caller).

I think that something must be terrible wrong in that iPhoneX implementation of VoLTE if it sounds "bad". The calls might drop, but never should sound "bad".

Feedback Score
    I believe that the audio quality problem experienced by iPhone users may be those iPhones that have Intel modems. I have an iPhone X with a Qualcomm modem and always experience excellent audio performance with one bar of LTE. The Intel modems are a big step backwards for Apple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I believe that the audio quality problem experienced by iPhone users may be those iPhones that have Intel modems. I have an iPhone X with a Qualcomm modem and always experience excellent audio performance with one bar of LTE. The Intel modems are a big step backwards for Apple.
    Radios make a difference.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    This is the correct answer.

Intel radios are nowhere near as good as Qualcomm, as anyone in the know can attest to.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    iPhone X with intel modems don't do CDMA. So it's not applicable here.
    https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-x-a...1-intel-modem/

But yeah, Apple even had to throttle speeds of the Qualcomm modem so that it has a parity with the slower Intel modem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast