Thread: Pixel 3a dual SIM on AT&T?

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Pixel 3a dual SIM on AT&T?

Does anyone have any experience setting up a dual SIM Pixel 3a with AT&T.

I was told by an AT&T chat rep that the Pixel 3a can be set up with an eSIM card as a dual SIM phone and will work with an AT&T prepaid account. Having been given more than enough erroneous info from cell phone company reps in the past few years than I care to discuss, I am always skeptical of anything I hear from them and do my best to confirm what they tell me before wasting hours and sometimes days trying to clean up what the have erroneously told me.

So again, I am asking if anyone has done this and does it work? And will it work with another carrier's physical SIM as the other number in the phone as well? I know this works wonderfully with iphones but I have read conflicting reports of it working with the Pixels. I do have Android 10 on the Pixel 3a and it does have an eSIM IMEI printed on the box along with the physical SIM IMEI.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Feedback Score
    AT&T prepaid will activate an e-sim. just make sure that your phone is updated to android 10 - https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f6061a6aa1

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So if anyone is interested, I did get this to work but it's not all good....
    I am able to have one number on the eSIM and another number on the physical SIM. However the down side of this is that I can turn off the eSIM in the phone's settings but I cannot turn off the physical SIM unless I physically remove it from the phone! This seems to me like it's a blatant goof. I mean what on earth is the point of having a dual SIM phone if you have to remove the SIM card in order to get one of the SIM slots to disable? I can do that on ANY phone!
    The iphones work the way this should be. You can go into the settings and turn one or the other SIM slot on or off.

My reason for wanting a dual SIM phone is to have AT&T on one line and Verizon on the other. My main is AT&T but I do like having a Verizon line as a fallback if I am in a bad AT&T reception area. However, I do NOT want both lines on all the time. I think that this will just eat into the battery, and frankly I should not get any calls on the Verizon line, and if I do, I would rather not even hear them ring as it's probably just a robocall or something.

It honestly amazes me that the google people didn't think of this when they wrote the firmware. I think a dual SIM phone with no capability of turning off one of the two slots is very short sighted. I can't even assign different ringers to each line (as this might have been somewhat of a workaround if I just assigned an mp4 file with no sound recorded).

Hopefully someone will realize this and fix it in an update. I've sent them a suggestion and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    So if anyone is interested, I did get this to work but it's not all good.... I am able to have one number on the eSIM and another number on the physical SIM. However the down side of this is that I can turn off the eSIM in the phone's settings but I cannot turn off the physical SIM unless I physically remove it from the phone! This seems to me like it's a blatant goof. I mean what on earth is the point of having a dual SIM phone if you have to remove the SIM card in order to get one of the SIM slots to disable? I can do that on ANY phone! The iphones work the way this should be. You can go into the settings and turn one or the other SIM slot on or off. My reason for wanting a dual SIM phone is to have AT&T on one line and Verizon on the other. My main is AT&T but I do like having a Verizon line as a fallback if I am in a bad AT&T reception area. However, I do NOT want both lines on all the time. I think that this will just eat into the battery, and frankly I should not get any calls on the Verizon line, and if I do, I would rather not even hear them ring as it's probably just a robocall or something. It honestly amazes me that the google people didn't think of this when they wrote the firmware. I think a dual SIM phone with no capability of turning off one of the two slots is very short sighted. I can't even assign different ringers to each line (as this might have been somewhat of a workaround if I just assigned an mp4 file with no sound recorded). Hopefully someone will realize this and fix it in an update. I've sent them a suggestion and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    would turning on airplane mode work for the physical sim or does that work for both the e-sim and the physical sim ??

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I will take a look but from what I recall, airplane mode is a global switch and would turn off both SIMs at the same time.
    I spoke with google tech support and they agree with me that the feature really should be updated. Who knows if it will but I hope so as I like the phone otherwise.
    I think the phone was designed under the premise that you use the eSIM as your main line, but when traveling oversees, you may purchase a temporary physical SIM to use in a foreign country, and while doing so you are aren't going to use the eSIM containing your home carrier. So might as well turn it off till you get back home. The thing is, they obviously weren't thinking about my situation in which I at times prefer to have both activated or more often, the physical SIM turned off. I COULD swap SIMs making my main carrier the physical SIM and the other one as the eSIM but the problem here is that this would be what I CALL my Verizon line...but it isn't really Verizon, it's a much cheaper company (US Mobile) that just uses the Verizon network. They don't yet support eSIM. According to them it's coming but not here yet. So maybe the thing to do is to just put up with what I've got till that day comes.

Feedback Score
    I think eSIM is a great idea but this is my problem with it: if my phone dies I can just move physical SIM in my old phone and be in business immediately. If I use eSIM from what I understand I have to visit a store even if my old phone supports eSIM (it actually doesn't so I would have to get a new physical SIM).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    AT&T prepaid will activate an e-sim. just make sure that your phone is updated to android 10 - https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f6061a6aa1
    I am not sure it can be updated to Android 10 like on the Pixel 4. If I am mistaken, somebody will chime in.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    The Pixel 3a and 3a XL have received the Android 10 update.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    The Pixel 3a and 3a XL have received the Android 10 update.
    Thanks for your contribution. As I stated, I was not sure.