Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I am back to PagePlus but wow is it slow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    What is enhanced 4g lte mode?
    The phone manufacturers use different names for VoLTE functions. Enhanced 4G LTE Mode, Advanced Calling, and just VoLTE. It includes things like HD Voice and WiFi Calling that the carrier offers.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The poor signal performance is probably the phone. It's debatable but the Motorola G line after the 4 series has been noted for having spotty/weak wifi and mobile radio overall. Not every phone is bad but probably enough bad reviews out there to make it a trend.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWalker65 View Post
    Ok I do have a weak signal. I was thrown off by the icon showing signal strength plus the fact that I had assumed wrongly that it was network congestion from all the tourists in town. Now I see:

Attachment 164870
    You are using B4/66, which I usually find gives a much weaker signal than other bands. Just checked mine and it was as poor as what you had, but it changed to B13 for a while with much better signal. I don't see any functional problem with the low signal numbers like over -105 dBm. I have a Moto G5 Plus.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the OP is using a rooted device, an app called "network signal guru" has ability to prevent the device from using certain bands.

Feedback Score
    I'm in a fringe area. Moto E4. My signal isn't much different then the OPs. Give or take average RSRP -106 RSRQ -12. I bounce between B13 and B2. B2 being better in my case and usually B13 if I move deeper into my house. I never see B4/66. My numbers are low but usable. However I don't use my phone for data.
    I have a Straightalk/Vzw HS device. I don't have anyway of knowing it's signal stats but assume they must be close to what my phone has, but then again I assume a HS device has better radio/antennas then a phone. I average about 10Mbps download on the HS.

Also @TWalker65. Have you tested at different areas of your house?
    My best is near a window on the side of the house closest to where I think my nearest tower is. That's where I need to keep my HS and make most of my calls. If I move deeper into the house things drop off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'm in a fringe area. Moto E4. My signal isn't much different then the OPs. Give or take average RSRP -106 RSRQ -12. I bounce between B13 and B2. B2 being better in my case and usually B13 if I move deeper into my house. I never see B4/66. My numbers are low but usable. However I don't use my phone for data.
    Do you ever see B5? It is a supplementary channel not used everywhere. It is on a secondary tower that I don't get very often, but good signal when it can be picked up. Low frequency like B13, which have better range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Do you ever see B5? It is a supplementary channel not used everywhere. It is on a secondary tower that I don't get very often, but good signal when it can be picked up. Low frequency like B13, which have better range.
    I never saw B5. B4 may have popped up once briefly many moons ago. When I'm outside or on the side of my house inside with the best signal and near a window it's solid on B2. But when I move from that area, further in the house, it'll go to B13 confirming your better range comment.

Feedback Score
    My bet is that, in those two years, more and more people in that town started using cell phones as their primary Internet device, and hence the congestion. LTE cell service was never intended to be used as main/home Internet access.

The tower capacity didn't get increased by Verizon, because... the MVNO's are not directly their clients. They just have to have sufficient bandwidth for the native Verizon clients plus something like 10% for MVNO's (a guess, I don't know what is that number contractualy).

Feedback Score
    Yes, more people are using their phones in areas that have poor Internet service. My area is this way, and the cell reception has been worsening the last few years. It was really bad during the huge power outages here in NorCal a few months ago. No doubt a lot were using their phones for tethering/hotspot.

All carriers have a hierarchy for throttling during peak times. I hear that AT&T is even worse for that than Verizon.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWalker65 View Post
    UPDATE

I had forgotten to set up autopay so my 2nd months payment so about 1.5 to days after my service was shut off I realized it. I went to re up thinking I would downgrade on plan since the service is so bad and I'm on wifi so much. I could never find a good answer on PP website and then went in to go ahead pay another month when my card was denied multiple times. I started thinking why not just let it go? I have my 10 year old phone number already ported to Google Voice and figured PP just isnt worth the hassle for what I had wanted it for (primary internet service) So i didnt bother to pay $40 for a month of no real service.

I now realize PP sold me this horrible phone without decent antenna reception and speeds which is unuseable on PP service. Now I realize cant even use Google Voice on it. I cant use messenger. Both of these apps should function fine on wifi but dont. No calls no text on 3rd apps I just get a recorded message about "my account has been suspended".

This just reeks of the horrible practices by other big phone companies to keep you locked in and unable to use my phone without paying them. This is EXACTLY why I was a loyal PP customer for 7 years before. As soon as I bought my phone and saw the Tracfone boot logo which cant be removed without rooting the phone I was super skeptical of the "New PagePlus" and sure enough I was severely disapointed the more I used PP this month.

So did I waste my money on the MOTO G6? Will PP hold it hostage? Could I possibly take this phone back to Straight Talk and use it in the future? Could I return the phone? Just wondering what my options are.
    All phones sold by Tracfone-related MVNOs, including PPC, since they're sold at a discount, are locked for 12 months of paid service, before they're eligible to be unlocked.

Regarding PPC service, many people use the service without any trouble, including my dad until last year, with no issues at all. He only switched to Tracfone because it fits his usage better.

To downgrade a PPC plan, all you do is purchase and add a PIN for the plan you want.

Regarding the Moto G6 purchased from PPC, there should be nothing preventing it from working with Google Voice or FB Messenger (or TextNow or Viber or WhatsApp, etc.) on WiFi only. None of those kinds of accounts set up properly and used over WiFi should invoke the actual phone dialer, which is the only reason you should get a "my account has been suspended" message. The only thing it's locked for is using a non-Tracfone-related SIM card. Yes, it can be used on any Tracfone-related MVNO, including ST. You can return the phone to PPC if still within the return window.

Is there a chance that the Moto G6 is defective? If so, if it was purchased less than a year ago, it will still have a Moto warranty.

Feedback Score
    Like I said before, all the issues are not a PP problem other then maybe a bum phone which people can get from any carrier. And even in this case it's not a PP phone it's a TF. If it's new they have a warranty; get another phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2