Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What will a plan b look like if no sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It looks like the four year roaming deal has already begun and will not end if the merger doesn't go through.

"Included in their presentation drumming up support of their merger, T-Mobile said it would provide Sprint with a roaming agreement for four years, and that agreement will survive in the event the transaction is terminated"

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ement-t-mobile

So maybe they have 2.3 years left of that or so.
    Got it. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yes they go on being a distant third only forcing meager changes by the big 2 instead of forcing them to make MAJOR changes. The status quo is not acceptable anymore. We don't need more of that.
    A combined SprinT-Mobile still isn't going to compete directly with the big two. They don't have the coverage.

Satellite is dying as well is linear TV any they don't need the hassle of running that part of the company. They'd only want Dish for their spectrum and they'd be better off offering Ergen enough money that he checks his ego and finally sells it.
    Could be. Bundling with satellite for rural fixed internet could be something though.

Only thing Comcast has is 600 MHz spectrum which they could simply buy. It's doubtful Comcast actually has plans for it.
    I don't think the 600mhz is up for sale. I would think that the current plan, barring a T-Mobile merger or Sprint acquisition would be to have Verizon deploy that.

Doubtful. While they have access to Sprint tower how about all the area Sprint doesn't have towers? Areas like mine. I live in a Charter area. You'd assume Charter would want to offer mobile service in their footprint. Which would requires towers and equipment
    They'd definitely have to build out coverage, but they know how to build infrastructure, they have the backhaul in-market, and they have the capital to do it. Combined with strand mount small cells, they'd have one hell of a network with a relatively small expenditure.

A best maybe T-Mobile buys up some smaller wireless companies like they did with Iowa Wireless and scoops up all the 600 MHz from all the spectrum hoarders. Perhaps Dish which will have it's plans to start a wireless network taken away would be willing to sell it's spectrum to T-Mobile. Maybe they could convince US Cellular to sell. Maybe they still make profits and keep things going they way they are but that's not good enough.
    How much is left out there to acquire? DISH's spectrum would be worth the most broken up, 600mhz to Sprint, B70 and some mid-band to Verizon, and the rest of the mid-band to T-Mobile. But who knows.

USCC missed their peak value to sell. Their value has been going down since the 700mhz spectrum went on the market. If they fail, then they have to sell out, and likely AT&T and Verizon will split them up based on who doesn't have overlapping 850 licenses by one or the other of them buying USCC and divesting the rest to the other, likey AT&T buys and divests the rest to Verizon. It would actually benefit people living in those markets, but it would hurt Sprint and T-Mobile. USCC is a poor fit for Sprint or T-Mobile, even though they'd have some incentive to keep USCC alive in one form or another for roaming access.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    A combined SprinT-Mobile still isn't going to compete directly with the big two. They don't have the coverage.
    Oh good god you're insufferable. Yes because T-Mobile couldn't possibly build/lease more towers.

Could be. Bundling with satellite for rural fixed internet could be something though.
    Could be at&t stated already they will never launch another satellite. The last satellite will run out of fuel in 10 years or less. I doubt Dish ever launches another one either.

[qupte]I don't think the 600mhz is up for sale. I would think that the current plan, barring a T-Mobile merger or Sprint acquisition would be to have Verizon deploy that.[/quote]

At&t sold theirs within a few months after the 600 MHz auction was over. Anyone can sell it. If Comcast wanted to sell it today they could. Dish is prevented for selling theirs for 3 years IF the merger is allowed. If the judge denies the merger there is nothing preventing the form selling

They'd definitely have to build out coverage, but they know how to build infrastructure, they have the backhaul in-market, and they have the capital to do it. Combined with strand mount small cells, they'd have one hell of a network with a relatively small expenditure.
    So somehow cable companies know how to expand cell coverage but a merged T-Mobile/Sprint does not?

How much is left out there to acquire? DISH's spectrum would be worth the most broken up, 600mhz to Sprint, B70 and some mid-band to Verizon, and the rest of the mid-band to T-Mobile. But who knows.

USCC missed their peak value to sell. Their value has been going down since the 700mhz spectrum went on the market. If they fail, then they have to sell out, and likely AT&T and Verizon will split them up based on who doesn't have overlapping 850 licenses by one or the other of them buying USCC and divesting the rest to the other, likey AT&T buys and divests the rest to Verizon. It would actually benefit people living in those markets, but it would hurt Sprint and T-Mobile. USCC is a poor fit for Sprint or T-Mobile, even though they'd have some incentive to keep USCC alive in one form or another for roaming access.
    USCC has 600 MHz and lower A 700 MHz band, AWS, AWS-3, PCS as well as 24 GHz spectrum that T-Mobile would be very interested in having. The rest T-Mobile can sell off to at&t and Verizon and those proceeds can pay for a lot of the cost for acquiring USCC

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Do we have to nitpick every item to minutia ? Let's not snipe each other on every minor detail. Let the market and government officials decide what happens and nobody here needs to get so caught up in details that we have virtually no input or possibility of change in how the merger actually passes or fails.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Comcasts deal with Verizon is not exclusive and Verizon would love nothing more than if Comcast and Charter would stop using their network.
    Why? Are Comcast's 17 customers placing an undue strain on the network?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Right, but at least you acknowledge that increased prices are a possibility. That's something that the AGs and others are ignoring. My point is that higher prices is something that becomes more likely as net losses persist.
    Increased prices aren't particularly likely unless Sprint improves their network. Remember the low prices offered by Sprint (and to a lesser extent, T-Mo) are reflective of the fact that their networks and service aren't on par with more premium priced carriers. Sprint can't just decide to raise rates because revenue is low, because reducing the value proposition will cause them to bleed customers to carriers who would then become a better comparitive value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Why? Are Comcast's 17 customers placing an undue strain on the network?

You mean 1.7 million as of Sept 30th 2019?

Xfinity Mobile added 204,000 lines of service in the third quarter, giving Comcast’s wireless service just over 1.7 million total customer lines.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/xf...4k-lines-in-q3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Increased prices aren't particularly likely unless Sprint improves their network. Remember the low prices offered by Sprint (and to a lesser extent, T-Mo) are reflective of the fact that their networks and service aren't on par with more premium priced carriers. Sprint can't just decide to raise rates because revenue is low, because reducing the value proposition will cause them to bleed customers to carriers who would then become a better comparitive value.
    Sprint is not going to improve it's network. Practically offering service for free has done nothing to stop the bleeding. So they might as well get as much as they can. They will in fact offer higher priced plans. Will they still be less and Verizon a nd at&t? yes. Are you going to get free service for year? Nope. They are already bleeding customer so there is no "going to cause" it IS ALREASDY happening. Sprint is of ZERO value.

Mark it down. Once this merger is officially kaput ( and that means the judge rules against T-Mobile and T-Mobile officially announces it's decided not to appeal. ) within 60 days Sprint will announce job cuts and store closings. Within 120 days they will announce either new plans or just raise the price of the current plans or possibly just raise various fees( like the upgrade fee for example ) in more sneaky way of making more money. Possibly both.

Feedback Score
    Why people risk their own credibility on things they have absolutely no say in, or control over, just to appear "right" online, always baffles me.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has a path forward if the merger is denied though the dreams of domination would remain dreams.

https://www.telecompetitor.com/judge...mobile-merger/

Sprint if they had some cash from an outside investor would have a path forward. Without the possibility of Son off loading it and later being able to sell off Tmobile stock they would be open to offers at much lower values or just go into bankruptcy. Band 41 being their most valuable asset won't automatically go to anyone - it'd be auctioned off. Sprint doesn't have any good path forward but there are some roads for them to take.

The biggest loser if the States win, imo, would be Dish. They still have no network built out so they'd miss the existing deadline and risk having their spectrum re-auctioned. I don't know what the logistics of that would be but there is NO Dish network they can point to. I think Sprint would have to auction off Boost as opposed to a sale to Dish because shareholder value would be of over riding importance not selling to someone who will create the illusion of a 4th network. W/o the merger Tmobile wouldn't have any incentive to give Dish preferred long term MVNO options either. Dish isn't in any kind of cash position to buy Sprint either - they're just a pretender.

Dish - the biggest loser.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    .... Band 41 being their most valuable asset won't automatically go to anyone - it'd be auctioned off....
    Technically, it would be sold in whatever way a bankruptcy judge feels is of the most benefit to the creditors. Also, I seem to recall that 1) most of Sprint's licenses were collateral for loans, (As such, they would go to the lien-holders) and 2) Sprint doesn't actually own some of the most important 2.6 GHz licenses, rather they belong to a variety of educational institutions who lease them to Sprint. No?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Technically, it would be sold in whatever way a bankruptcy judge feels is of the most benefit to the creditors. Also, I seem to recall that 1) most of Sprint's licenses were collateral for loans, (As such, they would go to the lien-holders) and 2) Sprint doesn't actually own some of the most important 2.6 GHz licenses, rather they belong to a variety of educational institutions who lease them to Sprint. No?
    I believe the loans though were done with SoftBank created loaning partners, I am not sure how that would be handled in any type of bankruptcy proceeding, and could be why SoftBank hasn't shown any interest in taking Sprint through a bankruptcy proceeding. Softbank is known for their creative ways to finance things, and I have a feeling a good portion of sprints actual debt, is owed to SoftBank themselves.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Oh good god you're insufferable. Yes because T-Mobile couldn't possibly build/lease more towers.
    They don't seem to want to compete directly with the big two now, having more customers that are even more urban-centric isn't going to make them want to compete more.

Could be at&t stated already they will never launch another satellite. The last satellite will run out of fuel in 10 years or less. I doubt Dish ever launches another one either.
    Somebody will be doing satellite.

At&t sold theirs within a few months after the 600 MHz auction was over. Anyone can sell it. If Comcast wanted to sell it today they could. Dish is prevented for selling theirs for 3 years IF the merger is allowed. If the judge denies the merger there is nothing preventing the form selling
    Point missed. I don't think Comcast wants to sell their 600mhz, I think they want to use it one way or another, whether with Verizon or another aquisition/partnership.

So somehow cable companies know how to expand cell coverage but a merged T-Mobile/Sprint does not?
    Two different issues. I doubt the cable companies would be matching AT&T or Verizon coverage, but they certainly could blanket their own markets with coverage.

USCC has 600 MHz and lower A 700 MHz band, AWS, AWS-3, PCS as well as 24 GHz spectrum that T-Mobile would be very interested in having. The rest T-Mobile can sell off to at&t and Verizon and those proceeds can pay for a lot of the cost for acquiring USCC
    They're not in interesting markets. T-Mobile doesn't seem too interested in wood or cornfields.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You mean 1.7 million as of Sept 30th 2019?

Xfinity Mobile added 204,000 lines of service in the third quarter, giving Comcast’s wireless service just over 1.7 million total customer lines.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/xf...4k-lines-in-q3
    "That was a joke, son..."

I don't think a couple of million MVNO users are causing any significant headaches for Verizon.

(Plus, I wonder how many of those 1.7 million disappear this month when Comcast forces the old free T&T plan customers onto the $12/month 1GB plan. I'm certainly dropping them like a stone!)

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Point being it would have to be sold to maximize shareholder/creditor value which means its not going to be a no bid situation whether that is in the form of a lease or direct ownership.

Under no circumstances will someone just waltz in and make a private deal with or without bankruptcy proceedings. Public bids.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast