Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for inexpensive, but reliabile phones?

Feedback Score

Any recommendations for inexpensive, but reliabile phones?

I need to buy a phone that is very reliable in terms of talk/calls and texting. I probably will not need this phone for data/internet at all, although I don't care if it is on there. I also won't need the camera, but I don't care what is on there. I picked up a moto e5 play when Best Buy had it on sale for about $30, but the sound quality is not good and I need more reliability in that area. I realize I probably need to pay more that I did, even though I only need the talk and text features.

As for carrier, I would like the phone to be unlocked. I currently use Puretalk (AT&T), but want to have the freedome to go elsewhere.

I am okay with buying on some place like swappa, although I have never done so before so any recommendations about what to keep in mind with those sites would be great as well.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I think a lot of what you're looking for is subjective.

I don't recall seeing too many complaints about the Moto E5 Play sound quality.

I personally use a Moto E4 XT1768 unlocked/universal phone, and I find the sound quality perfectly acceptable. But again, that's subjective. Also, I wouldn't recommend the E4 for a new user at this point due to it's age.

If you're considering Pure TalkUSA, or any non-Vzw or non-Sprint network, possibly consider an unlocked Nokia, such as a Nokia 4.2 Dual-SIM 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked, Android One, Black), which is currently on sale for $159 from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...martphone.html or a Nokia 2.2 TA-1179 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked, Tungsten Black) currently on sale for $129 from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...martphone.html .

However, at those prices, I might suggest considering an unlocked/universal Moto G6 or G7, which are compatible with all networks.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Boz1. I have only used the moto e5 play for a few calls today and yesterday, but it is fuzzy; it is possible it is a fluke that will resolve itself, but I have come to the conclusion I do probably need something higher quality. Your options look good.

I am also hoping to find a very light phone (weight-wise) so will be looking at that as well.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if the E5 you received might be defective?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Do you know if you have VoLTE or not? I know VoLTE will help with calling audio because I have heard some AT&T 3G system is going bad. I don't know if that is the case for your area tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I wonder if the E5 you received might be defective?
    I wondered that as well. However, I bought it from Best Buy a while ago and did not try it,so they are unlikely to refund me anything.

Not to get too complicated, but I am moving to thinking I need to find a dual sim phone. I need this second line for my business and do not want to use Google voice. I was going to carry 2 phones, but am leaning away from that. I had a google pixel 2 for my personal phone, but it just broke and they are sending me a brand new pixel 2 under the warranty. I asked if I could get a 3a instead for the dual sim and they said no. I could trade in once I receive my new pixel 2, but they could not just give me a 3a instead...trade in price is very poor.

Feedback Score
    I never tried the Moto E5 but can tell you that the G6 Play, G7, G7 Power and Z3 Play all have really good earpiece/speakerphone voice quality that gets plenty loud. Moto's forward facing speaker works really well for speakerphone calls. Earpiece/Speakerphone voice quality and volume along with reception are the most important features when I'm looking for a new phone. I could give a crap about having the fastest processor or highest pixel count on my cellphone. Paper specs sell phones these days but not to me.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    With ATT, the G6 Play has noticeably better voice quality then the E4 Plus, which I would assume is similar to the E5 Plus. I have gotten used to the sound & it isn't an issue for ATT calls. (HSPA)

OTOH, Verizon sounds tinny on the E4 Plus & almost hurts your ears on non-HD VoLTE calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    I wondered that as well. However, I bought it from Best Buy a while ago and did not try it,so they are unlikely to refund me anything.

Not to get too complicated, but I am moving to thinking I need to find a dual sim phone. I need this second line for my business and do not want to use Google voice. I was going to carry 2 phones, but am leaning away from that. I had a google pixel 2 for my personal phone, but it just broke and they are sending me a brand new pixel 2 under the warranty. I asked if I could get a 3a instead for the dual sim and they said no. I could trade in once I receive my new pixel 2, but they could not just give me a 3a instead...trade in price is very poor.
    If it's been less than a year, Moto warranty repair was fast and good when I used it.

The first Nokia I mentioned above is dual SIM.

The Pixel 3a is not traditional dual SIM. It is eSIM+1 SIM. As far as I know, MVNOs don't provision eSIM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much for the responses. I will look into these options. I believe we have VoLTE, but not sure. In any cases, my family is not having difficulty with their phones and we are all on Puretalk.

Feedback Score
    We have used moto phones on from X and G series without issues, I strongly recommend them. The G7 works perfectly with VoLTE and HDVoice/HDVoice+ on my provider (TotalWireless) and also has the newer RCS (also called Chat) feature enabled. It's $179 now.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 12-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    I did want to add that if anyone knows of phones that are particularly light (weight-wise) and/or don't require the bulk of a case, please let me know! Since this would be a second phone I am carrying every ounce counts!

Thanks again!

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    2nd phone? Get a flip phone!

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Or go with the dual SIM phone idea!

Feedback Score
    I have the Moto G7 Power and love it. Mostly because I can go days without having to charge it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast