Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Comcast merger?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    It does not matter if they do not provide national service all that matters is that they provide wireless service in their service territory and by allowing the merger you are eliminating a wireless competitor in the markets Comcast serves. In addition this kind of merger gets complicated since Comcast and Charter Communication's have an agreement to work together on wireless service so I would imagine both companies would have to agree to such a purchase and then you get anti trust concerns if that happens since they are the top two cable companies in the United States. Which would give them the market power to undercut all of their competitors pricing with bundling. So this would be a complicated matter for the courts to rule on.
    The anti competitive bundling argument with vertical mergers was already ruled on. There is a ruling on that, it's the argument the DOJ tried to use to stop the at&t Time Warner deal. It not only failed, but failed pretty bad as the judge was not thrilled in his ruling with the DOJ wasting his time with that case. There hasn't been a vertical merger blocked in the U.S. in something like 100 years. I cannot see a state, or the DOJ wasting the money, time, resources, and frankly the judges time, trying a vertical merger case anytime soon. It likely would not end very well. As far as the charter/Comcast agreement, wasn't that only for a few years? And didn't each side have an out? So don't think that would be an issue. If Comcast wanted to merge with tmobile, history shows it would pass easier than the Sprint/TMobile merger would.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    The anti competitive bundling argument with vertical mergers was already ruled on. There is a ruling on that, it's the argument the DOJ tried to use to stop the at&t Time Warner deal. It not only failed, but failed pretty bad as the judge was not thrilled in his ruling with the DOJ wasting his time with that case. There hasn't been a vertical merger blocked in the U.S. in something like 100 years. I cannot see a state, or the DOJ wasting the money, time, resources, and frankly the judges time, trying a vertical merger case anytime soon. It likely would not end very well.
    I disagree. I think this deal would pass under the corrupt GOP controlled government agency's but you will have state's sue to block the merger like they are currently doing with the Sprint T Mobile merger. I believe the states have a stronger case since a competitor is being eliminated compared to the AT&T Time Warner deal where no competitors were eliminated with that deal. In additon AT&T and Time Warner Inc merger does not have as much power to effect the market compared to the number 1 and 2 cable companies.

Feedback Score
    I disagree. I think this deal would pass under the corrupt GOP controlled government agency's but you will have state's sue to block the merger like they are currently doing with the Sprint T Mobile merger. I believe the states have a stronger case since a competitor is being eliminated compared to the AT&T Time Warner deal where no competitors were eliminated with that deal. In additon AT&T and Time Warner Inc merger does not have as much power to effect the market compared to the number 1 and 2 cable companies.
    It's hard to argue corruption, when it was this administration that took the last vertical merger attempt to court. Not to mention, it's not like Democrats have been tough on vertical mergers. One hasn't been blocked in something like 100 years. The states can do whatever they want to, but, if they go into court arguing the same anti competitive bundle arguments, that were just shut down by the last ruling on a vertical merger case, they likely won't make it past opening arguments before the judge dismisses the case. We have a ruling already on that.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    It's hard to argue corruption, when it was this administration that took the last vertical merger attempt to court. Not to mention, it's not like Democrats have been tough on vertical mergers. One hasn't been blocked in something like 100 years. The states can do whatever they want to, but, if they go into court arguing the same anti competitive bundle arguments, that were just shut down by the last ruling on a vertical merger case, they likely won't make it past opening arguments before the judge dismisses the case. We have a ruling already on that.
    I think the issue with the AT&T Time Warner Inc merger was a weak case that no court in the United States would block which most likely pissed of the judge since it was a waste of the courts time. I think this kind of merger would have a strong case in front of the court on why it should be blocked and it should make it to trial.

Feedback Score
    I think the issue with the AT&T Time Warner Inc merger was a weak case that no court in the United States would block which most likely pissed of the judge since it was a waste of the courts time. I think this kind of merger would have a strong case in front of the court on why it should be blocked and it should make it to trial.
    I dunno, anti competition advocates thought the DOJ was correct in going after the At&t/T.W. deal. I agree it was a weak case, I also feel it would be a weak case to attempt to sue for Comcast/TMobile if it ever happened. Again, history shows they have almost 0% chances of winning. A vertical merger hasn't been blocked in almost 100 years, and we have a recent ruling to go off of. To federal judges, integrity of the court is an important thing. Even with the supreme Court, overturns are rare, and they always talk about keeping the integrity of the lower courts intact. Would be an uphill climb I don't know if any state would be willing to try. Not sure. This is all hypothetical though, as we have no clue if there ever will be a Comcast merger, and what it would actually look like on paper, so it's one of those things were there really is no wrong answer.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6