Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is the CDMA Cut-off Date 2020 or 2021?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Verizon phones have had GSM capability for a long time (if unlocked), but usually only for 3G. If there was automatic roaming to GSM networks, it would not help the MVNOs with no roaming ability.
    Yea, I am just still trying to figure all this new CDMA-less feature out to understand it, but it seems like some Verizon MVNO is getting it finally. I have not sure yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Yea, I am just still trying to figure all this new CDMA-less feature out to understand it, but it seems like some Verizon MVNO is getting it finally. I have not sure yet.
    There was a time, over a year ago, that Verizon did not allow VoLTE on MVNOs. I'm pretty sure they all have it now. Verizon really wants everyone off CDMA.

From personal experience, I know that Tracfone and Straight Talk get VoLTE on Verizon. My Moto G6 on Tracfone/Verizon got it a year ago when I activated it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There was a time, over a year ago, that Verizon did not allow VoLTE on MVNOs. I'm pretty sure they all have it now. Verizon really wants everyone off CDMA.

From personal experience, I know that Tracfone and Straight Talk get VoLTE on Verizon. My Moto G6 on Tracfone/Verizon got it a year ago when I activated it.
    Yea, the funny thing is my J3 Sky S320VL had VoLTE from day one of activation, and it was before lots of the other phones got VoLTE too. That was about about three years ago too. The only reason why I remember that is I was going to go the 2017 Hamvention that was in Dayton, Ohio, and that was the first year that they moved it too. So my dad and I had our own phones, and not shared the same phone. Car problems caused my dad and I go back home tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Yea, the funny thing is my J3 Sky S320VL had VoLTE from day one of activation, and it was before lots of the other phones got VoLTE too. That was about about three years ago too.
    Seems like the VoLTE switch did not get turned on for all MVNOs at the same time. It happened on Tracfone around mid-2018, but may have been earlier for Page Plus and Straight Talk. First time I heard of it were reports on Boom.

Yes, there were some phone models that were VoLTE capable before it was made available. There was usually no automatic update to existing accounts, so you had to reactivate using a new SIM. Lots of discussion about this on the Tracfone forum.

Feedback Score
    Looks like no more 3G or flip phones on Page Plus. I tried to register 4 different ones and got rejected because of not having 4G LTE. One of the phones rejected is presently in use and working on PP. I can still use my 3G smartphone with Hangouts on my ATT Hotspot which is 4G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    Looks like no more 3G or flip phones on Page Plus. I tried to register 4 different ones and got rejected because of not having 4G LTE. One of the phones rejected is presently in use and working on PP. I can still use my 3G smartphone with Hangouts on my ATT Hotspot which is 4G.
    There are flip phones that are compatible with Verizon VoLTE. PP sells the Alcatel MyFlip.

Any smartphone that can install the Hangouts or Google Voice apps will work with any source of data. That has nothing to do with Verizon, CDMA, VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    You weren't able to activate 3G phones on PP (or any Vzw/Mvno) since about mid last year. If you had an active 3G at that time you're still good. Don't have anything happen to the 1 you say is still active, and keep the account replenished, because you won't be able to replace the phone or reactivate that account.

Feedback Score
    New text from PP yesterday about needing a new phone this year. And a net link to read more. At least this time they're providing a bit more info if you go to the link and another link from there. Basically embedded in their verbiage is:

* Dropped calls and bad connections may happen.
    * New phone required by end of the year.
    * No non-volt phone replacing.

That's more then prior notices ever gave.

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Can we expect any change in service quality from changing over from CDMA to VoLTE? Better coverage, stronger signals, clearer voice calls?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    Can we expect any change in service quality from changing over from CDMA to VoLTE? Better coverage, stronger signals, clearer voice calls?
    It depends on location. Many areas will lose coverage initially, but things will improve as sites are re-purposed with more LTE band support.

Phone manufacturers really need to improve the radios in their phones as well. This is a big problem with VoLTE now as some phones work much better than others in weak signal areas. Lots of I can't hear you, garbling, underwater sounding issues with uplink on phones with inferior radios. (i.e. iPhone 7, newer Motorola phones, etc . . . ) The only good news is that downlink doesn't seem to suffer nearly as much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2