Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the CDMA Cut-off Date 2020 or 2021?

Feedback Score

Question Is the CDMA Cut-off Date 2020 or 2021?

I have a 10+ year old CDMA 2G flip phone and I've heard so many things about the cut-off date. I know what Verizon's website says although the terminology is confusing so maybe I'm misunderstanding it. I've heard that Page Plus is saying the cut-off date is June 2020.

Does anyone know for sure?

It sounds like I should still be able to use the phone for voice calls (not sure about texting) until January 2021, is that correct?

It's unclear (to me) as to whether I can wait until January 2021 to transfer to a new phone. I don't want to lose my Page Plus balance, but I'm not ready to get a new phone. The last month has been very, very bad. I haven't had time to check anything out.

I really wish things were more clear. So many websites have contradicting information. I'm surprised my phone even still works.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It appears to be 12/2020 as of now.

https://www.digi.com/blog/post/upcom...network-sunset

Nothing is set in stone and may change again.

Feedback Score
    Yes , the end of CDMA thing has been confusing. A lot of this has been a lack of information from the Tracfone companies, and some mis-information from their reps. The end of the CDMA network seems solid at end of 2020. Verizon extended non-VoLTE phone activations to end of 2019, but that has not been true for the MVNOs. As usual, Verizon caters to their own customers.

You will be able to use a CDMA only phone for another year, but not to be able to activate one. If your present phone is lost, broke, or the account runs out, you are going to need a VoLTE phone. Not just on Page Plus, but all service on the Verizon network.

There are some good phone deals on Tracfone and sometimes Total Wireless, both of which run on Verizon. These phones can be used on Page Plus as is. Popular is the MyFlip for a non-smartphone. $20 most anywhere.

Feedback Score
    Does this mean that phones continuing forward must use GSM technology, including any phones used on the Verizon resources or towers or networks?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    No, the networks are switching to VOLTE. GSM will be shut down by At&t in next 2 years.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    The better question now is, if customers will lose ability to use CDMA devices and lose ability also to use GSM devices, then must customers move to use "VoLTE" devices? If new customer wants to set up some cell service with any of so many companies some how the way to only get the VoLTE device. Is this so? Not too many upcoming cellular customers are looking to struggle with technical designations. They just want to sign up for cellular service and buy the device they are TOLD to buy.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think as we get closer to the att shutdown, byod volte capable devices will be more easily activated.

Case and point, I just got a oneplus 7T which is most definitely volte capable. Out of the box, volte is available on tmobile. However on Cricket (att), I had to give them an imei from a compatible iphone to enable it on the account. There is no reason for this, it should of activated correctly on its own. I expect this will be the norm in 2 years. In fact, it will probably be very straight forward and simple. Att will just have to get rid of its volte white list and allow all compatible devices like tmobile does. So certainly possible.

RE vzw's cdma shutdown, there are many rural areas that are cdma only that need to be updated to lte, otherwise what happens to service if the area has no lte signal? I think all phones, at least for the next few years will still come with cdma/gsm 2g/3g compatibility, not only for international use but domestic compatibility. In fact, looking back at the last 20 years, the only time backward compatibility was not maintained was when moving from analog to digital.

I don't know of a single device today that still doesn't have full backwards compatibility to the earliest digital standards.

What I wonder about is what happens to the devices that are not volte capable (because of software/hardware limitations), and older 3g only phones (both cdma & gsm). Guess the flips will get tossed or bought internationally where that standard still exists, smartphones will be come wifi only devices. Same fate awaits connected cars !!

Feedback Score
    The VoLTE rules for MVNOs vary among carriers. First allowed was T-Mobile, then Verizon. AT&T is still not compatible, and I doubt they will be until near their own 3G shutdown scheduled in 2022.

The previous major network shutdown you mentioned was not just Analog, but TDMA digital as well. All carriers used these at the time. I escaped that having going to a CDMA phone before the shutdown. Analog/TDMA phones just stopped working, and it will be the same with CDMA and GSM 3G phones.

You are concerned about car connectivity with old devices? Upgrade!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbb View Post
    I have a 10+ year old CDMA 2G flip phone and I've heard so many things about the cut-off date. I know what Verizon's website says although the terminology is confusing so maybe I'm misunderstanding it. I've heard that Page Plus is saying the cut-off date is June 2020.

Does anyone know for sure?
    Yes. Straight from Verizon:

"the Verizon CDMA Network remains available as-is until December 31, 2020."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/

The Verizon CDMA network for voice will continue AS-IS, WHERE-IS for another year.

They have not installed any new CDMA in years and repairing any that fails is a very low priority.

It sounds like I should still be able to use the phone for voice calls (not sure about texting) until January 2021, is that correct?
    Yes, as long as CDMA is not shut down early in a location that you need to use.

It's unclear (to me) as to whether I can wait until January 2021 to transfer to a new phone. I don't want to lose my Page Plus balance, but I'm not ready to get a new phone. The last month has been very, very bad. I haven't had time to check anything out.

I really wish things were more clear. So many websites have contradicting information. I'm surprised my phone even still works.
    Much of the confusion comes from the previously announced shutdown date of the end of 2019.

Coping with this is actually pretty easy for Verizon and service providers, like Page Plus, that use the Verizon network. Any new phone that is currently being sold for Verizon and their service providers is compatible now and into the future.

Going off into eBay, Craigs List, Swappa, etc. to get a phone would require research to verify that the phone is compatible (has VoLTE).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    It appears to be 12/2020 as of now.

https://www.digi.com/blog/post/upcom...network-sunset

Nothing is set in stone and may change again.
    That is going to be a confusing mess as all of the Big-4 carriers migrate off legacy systems for voice.

For Verizon and the service providers that use the Verizon network it is pretty simple to know what to buy if you need to. Any new phone currently being sold for Verizon is compatible with Verizon now and into the future.

Determining if you need a new phone requires some research.

Feedback Score
    Let's emphasize again to the op and others still getting on board.
    This is not a switch that will turn cdma off all at once on December 31, 2020. That's the hard shut down for anything still left operating. It is already being phased out in some areas and will continue to be so over the next year. The quality of your cdma signal may slowly drop off. Maybe next week, maybe next month, maybe tomorrow it could be gone since if there's anything that takes out your tower, that's it. Verizon may or may not replace the cdma equipment on it.
    Bottom line over the next year is, do you feel lucky. One reason the carriers (especially mvnos) were still claiming the end of 2019, even after Verizon announced 2020, is to get people to change ASAP. Since they gave notice, they're off the hook. If you think you're golden till the end of 2020 (excluding any other official extension), you should be buying lottery tickets too.
    Last edited by rpz1; 12-26-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    RE vzw's cdma shutdown, there are many rural areas that are cdma only that need to be updated to lte, otherwise what happens to service if the area has no lte signal? I think all phones, at least for the next few years will still come with cdma/gsm 2g/3g compatibility, not only for international use but domestic compatibility. In fact, looking back at the last 20 years, the only time backward compatibility was not maintained was when moving from analog to digital.

I don't know of a single device today that still doesn't have full backwards compatibility to the earliest digital standards.
    Nope, there have been LTE only devices available for some time, at least for Verizon use. Examples are the Tracfone MyFlip and Verizon Go Flip V which have no CDMA radios.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yea, there are a good number CDMA-less phones that are popping up. Verizon does have SIM provisioning for CDMA-less too. From what I understand, if a phone gets CDMA-less provisioning, it will roam onto AT&T towers if there is no Verizon tower in the area. I am not sure if that means AT&T 3G or 4G tho.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^You're right. I was looking at higher end phones - which seem to still include cdma function.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Verizon does have SIM provisioning for CDMA-less too. From what I understand, if a phone gets CDMA-less provisioning, it will roam onto AT&T towers if there is no Verizon tower in the area. I am not sure if that means AT&T 3G or 4G tho.
    Verizon phones have had GSM capability for a long time (if unlocked), but usually only for 3G. If there was automatic roaming to GSM networks, it would not help the MVNOs with no roaming ability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast