Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voice mail not working?

Feedback Score

Voice mail not working?

I have a samsung luna pro running android 6.0.1 on Tracfone. I don't use the phone much. For some reason, it appears callers cannot leave a VM message. I checked the outgoing message & it is what I set up, but I keep getting calls from callers with no message left. Is there some setting I'm unaware of which might have turned off accepting voice mails? Long story, but I don't have ready access to another number to simply call the Tracfone.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    There is something called Announce Only, or similar wording. It won't allow messages.

If you have access to a computer, you can use a Google Voice number via computer to make an outgoing call. You can call the Tracfone and see what happens. You can enter the VM password and go through the various settings without using up your cell minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    Is there some setting I'm unaware of which might have turned off accepting voice mails? Long story, but I don't have ready access to another number to simply call the Tracfone.
    Was your account ever able to store voicemails? Do you know if your callers were trying to leave a voicemail, or just hung up? You do need to know what callers see on their end.

I have copies of the Verizon voicemail menus, and don't see anything that would shut off messages.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just wondering, have you checked to see if you have too many stored messages (undeleted old messages)? If the system only allows 20 saved messages and you have that many saved, nobody can send you a new voice mail message until you delete some. Could be a temporary technical issue by your provider. You best bet is contact Tracfone for assistance. Not likely a simple setting in your phone.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I do have 2 Google Voice numbers, both associated with this tracfone number. When I call from either, I get a message of a woman saying "Hi, gold is not available. Please speak clearly. Your voicemail is being transcribed by U-mail". I have no idea who "gold" is, or what "u mail" is. I'm a guy, my VM message is my voice saying "thank you for calling, please leave a message". This is the outgoing message I hear when I call into VM setting on the phone itself (holding down "1"). I don't seem to have any stored messages when I call VM from the phone. I need to get this working for a medical procedure I have next week (doc will call to schedule). Any others thoughts appreciated! VM & texting had been working, but I'm not sure how recently, within the last 6 months. Phone seems to work fine other than this VM business.

I did leave messages from the 2 Google Voice numbers, though the phone rang & shows the numbers under "recent", no messages appear.
    Last edited by DanCalling; 12-26-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    I do have 2 Google Voice numbers, both associated with this tracfone number. When I call from either, I get a message of a woman saying "Hi, gold is not available. Please speak clearly. Your voicemail is being transcribed by U-mail". I have no idea who "gold" is, or what "u mail" is. I'm a guy, my VM message is my voice saying "thank you for calling, please leave a message".
    Sounds like the voicemails are going to Google Voice and not directly to your phone. Also sounds like the GV voicemail may be compromised by a hack. Try and get someone to call direct to your phone number and try to leave a voicemail. Then call back to see what happened on their end.

Feedback Score
    Just spent about an hour and a half on the phone (and by PHONE I mean Google Voice, thankfully it's FREE) with Tracfone. They tried a bunch of things & repeatedly called my number leaving a message, none of which appeared. They also got the same weird outgoing message, not the one I set up. Finally said they'd have to pass it on to carrier Verizon, which could take up to 72 hours. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I guess all I can do at this point is wait & see. I've had this Tracfone number for about 10 years, generally everything has been fine, have never had a problem making calls, but it can be a struggle when you have a problem.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Feedback Score
    I guess they tried re-setting the VM. Maybe you could re-boot the phone just for good measure.

I didn't think you could list the same cell number with multiple GV accounts. It didn't work for me when I last tried it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I didn't think you could list the same cell number with multiple GV accounts. It didn't work for me when I last tried it.
    That's interesting. I set up the 1st number shortly after GV became available in 2009; I THINK I originally linked it to a landline which I had at that time, so as to make free long distance calls. Memory is that I changed it to my cell in 2012, when I dropped that landline. I added the 2nd number only about 3 months ago, I don't remember any difficulty doing that, it just went through. This 2nd number is the one I used for today's 1.5 hour call to Tracfone. At first, you'd tell GV to dial a number, and it would call you back on your assigned phone, and let you talk for 2 hours (maybe 3, but I think it was 2). Now I just call off my PC via Chrome, works with either number.

I should add each number is associated with a separate GMAIL address.
    Last edited by DanCalling; 12-26-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hmm...

I tried adding my cell number to a second GV account that I have. I received the verification text and everything, but when I entered it, I got this pop-up:

Claim this number?
    ‪[my number] is connected to another Google Voice account.
    Claiming this number will remove it from the other account, and any forwarding will be canceled.

This is what happened in the past.

Two different gmail accounts. I'm pretty sure separate accounts are required.

So I have one GV line with cell forwarding and a local number, and one with a number local to my Dad, but I don't need it anymore, but I kept it going to the landline. Whew.

So maybe you could try deleting the cells from the GV numbers and starting over. Something isn't right.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Until you clear this up, have your doctor text the messages to you.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I think the "u mail" reference is actually something to do with YouMail, an alternate VM service. Gold is maybe some level of their service. Somehow your number has been set up with a YouMail account. No idea how to examine that further.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I think the "u mail" reference is actually something to do with YouMail, an alternate VM service. Gold is maybe some level of their service. Somehow your number has been set up with a YouMail account. No idea how to examine that further.
    Did you try call forwarding; to a generic access number on free you mail or a dedicated access number for paid youmail account

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I think you're right. Apparently youmail is an alternative voicemail app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.vvm&hl=en_US I've never dl'd let along installed the app on this or any other phone. The only way I can think of this happening, given that youmail has never been on this phone, is at the server level. Don't see how it could be "on the phone." And again, when I go to tracfone & check my outgoing message, it's still the one I set up in the beginning, not the "gold youmail" business. Very strange. VM still not working, have not heard back from tracfone/verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've been thinking about this issue. Let's establish a few more things about your phone and service.

So, you don't use this phone often, but was there anything unusual about the origin of the number assigned to the account? Was it just a TF assigned number or did you port in?

Has this condition always been in effect, or was there a time the phone was in use and carrier voicemail worked correctly?

Are you able to receive calls normally, picking them up and answering successfully within a certain number of rings?

I've been reading about how YouMail is set up and works. It uses conditional call forwarding to divert an incoming call to whatever number was configured for after a certain number of rings.

As an easy step, let's assume CCF was somehow setup for your number. In this case, since your Luna Pro is being used on VZW, try the CCF deactivation code for VZW. While it may be commonly known by some, checking it out on this YouMail page (https://support.youmail.com/hc/en-us...tivate-YouMail) shows the VZW code to be *73.

Assuming this line of thinking is correct, once CCF (which may have somehow gotten setup to forward incoming calls to YouMail) is turned off, incoming calls not answered should then forward to your carrier-based voicemail, or so we would hope!

If you haven't already, please give this a try and let us know the results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast