Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voice mail not working?

Feedback Score
    Very smart post whacker.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The "72 hours" Tracfone promised to fix the problem have past, STILL no VM! Responding to your questions

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I've been thinking about this issue. Let's establish a few more things about your phone and service.

So, you don't use this phone often, but was there anything unusual about the origin of the number assigned to the account? Was it just a TF assigned number or did you port in?

Not sure what you mean by "port in," I'm guessing it means did I transfer the number from another service, the answer to that is no. As I recall, Tracfone offered a few local numbers to pick & selected one of them.

Has this condition always been in effect, or was there a time the phone was in use and carrier voicemail worked correctly?

I've had the number for about 10 years on at least 7 phones, the VM problem is very recent, a matter of weeks. Again, I get little contact on this #, so I'm not sure of the exact date VM stopped.

Are you able to receive calls normally, picking them up and answering successfully within a certain number of rings?

Yes. Also no trouble getting texts. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro.

I've been reading about how YouMail is set up and works. It uses conditional call forwarding to divert an incoming call to whatever number was configured for after a certain number of rings.

As an easy step, let's assume CCF was somehow setup for your number. In this case, since your Luna Pro is being used on VZW, try the CCF deactivation code for VZW. While it may be commonly known by some, checking it out on this YouMail page (https://support.youmail.com/hc/en-us...tivate-YouMail) shows the VZW code to be *73.

Assuming this line of thinking is correct, once CCF (which may have somehow gotten setup to forward incoming calls to YouMail) is turned off, incoming calls not answered should then forward to your carrier-based voicemail, or so we would hope!

If you haven't already, please give this a try and let us know the results.

Do I simple enter *73, or do I need to contact Tracfone & enter this?

Thanks again for the continued assistance!

OK, tried *73 at the TF settings dial in, and also just by entering it. The TF option can't be it, since hitting * ends the call before you enter 73. I'll try sending a VM with my GV now & see what happens!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The code is entered from the phone's dialpad as if an actual outgoing call. *73 then the "Send" key (usually green I suppose).

Feedback Score
    The code is entered from the phone's dialpad as if an actual outgoing call. *73 then the "Send" key (usually green I suppose).
    Making a little progress. Did the *73, now the outgoing message is no longer the Youmail thing, but MY actual message! So, I left 2 VM's from my GV. BOTH are there when I do *86 & play fine, BUT I got no notice of a new VM on my phone & they don't seem to be stored anywhere on the phone itself. VM settings say "Save voicemail to Device: saved in My Files>VisualVoiceMail", but no such folder exists there. Also, "Mailbox limit" says "There is space for 0 more mails in your inbox." Also, the "Auto save" setting "Old VM's will be automatically moved to Saved Voice Mail when the mailbox is nearly full" was not enabled (is now). I really don't need to store VM's on the phone, but I do need to get a notice when I have a new VM. All permissions are ON for VM. How can I turn the notification of a new VM? The Voicemail app DOES NOT appear in the Applications area where you set permissions. I'm frankly not even sure what they call "Voicemail" (the app itself) on the phone is even functional in any way. This OS is so crammed with Samsung & Google junk apps, it's hard to tell what actually is doing what!

Thanks so much for the input, the *73 thing is definitely a step in the right direction!

The phone did ring when I made the test calls.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With that very strange YouMail issue (whatever service was being forwarded to) out of the way, it now appears you're running into issues indicative of having Visual Voicemail (VVM) partially configured. A problem on TracFone at times, and with a Samsung phone maybe even more complicated to straighten out.

Normally when VVM is properly set up (which takes certain manual steps) the notification of new messages should be through the VVM app, with something showing in the Notification/Status bar at the top of the screen.

My experience is mainly with cheap LG phones. Someone here with more direct Samsung exposure needs to chime in about how to examine Samsung's VVM app and see if the fix is as simple as getting it properly set up.

Possibly there's simply a notifications permission that has to be allowed to the VVM app in order for notifications to appear correctly

However, it would be good to know whether your TF account is set to allow VVM. There's a way to go into your regular carrier VM configuration (through *86) and see if a menu setting still exists that allows you to toggle the standard new message indicator on/off. If TF/VZW has you on active VVM that selection will be missing; if not, you'll still have it available. Unfortunately I can't remember it to describe it.

There may be complications with having moved the current SIM from whatever previous device it was in and what type of voicemail was being used then. The SIM (i.e. your account) may have already been provisioned for VVM using some earlier device. But determining your account's current status regarding VVM would be helpful to know.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've found the tip on how to check your Basic VM and see if VVM has been enabled.

But first, let me just ask if on this Samsung phone, what type of voicemail have you been using? Or how have you been retrieving it? By calling *86 or by use of an app on the phone? Or maybe with a previous phone and the same SIM or phone number?

So, the way to check about VVM being enabled or not (going through Basic VM which is provided by VZW) is, call your voicemail (*86), and when presented with options to enter, press 4 (personal options), and listen closely to next available choices.

If the list of available choices begins with "to change administrative options, press 2", then you know your account is VVM enabled. Without VVM enabled the choices offered would start with "to turn message waiting indicator on or off press 1".

Basic VM is simply a function of calling in to the voicemail system (run by VZW in this case) and interacting via the dialpad and listening. With VVM (in addition to Basic features) the VZW voicemail server interacts with the app running on the phone device. This requires the use of cellular data; won't happen over Wi-Fi. In other words, it has to be switched on.

For some users who don't want or intend to conserve data use, they may want to stick with Basic VM.

Which leads me to ask, up until now, is your data on or off? Just as a test, if it's off, switch it on briefly and see if the VVM app does its thing and grabs anything (call your cell as before and leave a message prior).

But find out how the account is configured using the *86 call-in.

Feedback Score
    Ad nauseam, rebooted, power drain, totally off for 10 mins?

Feedback Score
    You don't need data on to get a VVM notification, only to retrieve it. Your VM app may be just part of the dialer app. It is on my Moto.
    All your settings and retrieval in there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You don't need data on to get a VVM notification, only to retrieve it. Your VM app may be just part of the dialer app. It is on my Moto.
    All your settings and retrieval in there.
    Yes, unbranded (and some branded) phones use a VVM feature within the dialer app. Branded phones often use a separate VVM app usually just called Voicemail. Either way should provide a notification on the screen if there is a pending VM. Many TF branded phones use the separate app.

Feedback Score
    For some users who don't want or intend to conserve data use, they may want to stick with Basic VM.
    I think it's false economy to not use Visual Voicemail. The data use cost is likely less than calling into Basic VM. You can leave data off until needed to retrieve any pending VVM. And VVM is so much easier to use than wallowing through the *86 menu system.

Feedback Score
    Let me say again how much I appreciate the time people are spending helping me with this. Thank you all.

As long as I have been using TF, I've never used any setting other than getting the notice of a VM on the phone & calling *86 (or just holding down 1) and then hearing the message off the server. Yes, this is a PITA, mainly because it couldn't be clearer that TF drags this out as LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG as possible simply to eat up minutes (message.... sent.... today....from....2....0....6.... duration....six....teen....seconds....on and on before you even get to hear the damned thing). But I generally don't get many messages, so I've never really looked into other options like the VVM thing. The SIM card is the one that came with the new phone. This is my 2nd of this Luna model, broke the other one (dropped it), the SIM card is still in that 1st one. An aside; I've always used the TF function of setting up a new phone & having them transfer my minutes, etc to the new one. This can be a real PITA and take a day or more. For future reference, would the minutes completely transfer to the new phone if I simply used the old SIM card?

I checked the *86 settings as Whacker described. I DO get the "to change admin options" prompt, but none of the options seems to relate to turning off the VVM. What am I missing?

Thanks again all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    .......This can be a real PITA and take a day or more. For future reference, would the minutes completely transfer to the new phone if I simply used the old SIM card?

I checked the *86 settings as Whacker described. I DO get the "to change admin options" prompt, but none of the options seems to relate to turning off the VVM. What am I missing?

Thanks again all.
    Yes, if you broke your old luna and bought a new one you could have just put your old sim in it and been off and running with your number and balance. Assuming Vzw, if you transferred everything to your new sim now, your old one is deactivated and free to use on another phone.

You can't change from VVM to Basic VM through the menu options. A CSR will have to do it for you and that's a crap shoot finding a CSR that knows how. And there's a chance it will just revert back if they do anything sim wise in their system since VVM is now I believe the default.

Did you double check to see if VVM is in your native dialer app?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In the dial-in VM menu (*86), we're not looking for a selection to do anything about VVM.

We're looking for the PRESENCE of a menu item, specifically #1, that controls the notification icon for Basic VM.

If the first choice after getting into Personal Options is to "change administrative options press 2" and that is not preceded by a choice to turn on or off the indicator by pressing 1, then your account is provisioned for VVM. It is intended if you have VVM that you lose that ability to control the indicator from Basic VM as that would then put it into the control of the VVM app on the phone (properly configured). Normally the choices would be complete in order (1, 2, 3, 4).

And btw, this is not a special TF voicemail system; it is a VZW system since it is the underlying carrier.

Feedback Score
    @DanCalling...I think there is a setting somewhere buried in the Voicemail setting options to control how much of the message header info is provided. Mine is set to just give Date/Time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    Seems your account is enabled for VVM, and you can't change that. It is important to know where VVM is accessed in your phone. Is it in the dialer, or does it use a separate app? In my phone VVM can be turned off, and you just use the *86 menu system. Not sure how the VVM separate apps work.

In my phone dialer it shows a cassette symbol for VVM. if you turn off VVM in the Settings, that icon does not show. That same symbol should show on the icon for a separate VVM app.
    Name:  5406c792-Screenshot_20181112_162616.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  18.9 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast