Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Visible--worse signal, slower speeds than T and T-Mo

Feedback Score

Visible--worse signal, slower speeds than T and T-Mo

I'm a T-Mobile user from way back. I'm currently grandfathered into their highest speed everything plan, including unlimited tethering (in addition to a bunch of international stuff). I use a Galaxy S10+.

I wasn't entirely happy with the T-Mo service at my house, and it was worse where I went on vacation. So I got AT&T service to try and I spent the summer and early fall testing AT&T's then-highest plan against my T-Mobile, using a branded Galaxy S9+. I wanted it to be as apples-to-apples as possible. I took both phones wherever I went (I travel in a very wide geography for work), and compared service using Network Signal Info Pro and Ookla Speedtest. In the end, I came to the conclusion that there was no significant difference between the two. T was $10 more for less of what I wanted, with no improvement in service over T-Mo.

Now I'm curious about Visible. I've never had VZW service ever, and really don't want it. But I ordered it up anyway, to test (after all, the price is right, right?). I got my Visible-branded ZTE Blade A7 Prime an hour ago (yay trade-in freebie), and got it all set up and I got Network Signal Info and Speedtest installed.

This is significantly worse service than what T-Mo and AT&T give me, in the same location. I live in an upper-middle-class neighborhood in a metro area; inside my house or outside on my street, on Visible service Network Signal Info Pro shows my signal strength to be between -101 dBm and -112 dBm. Speedtest shows me 2 down/5 up. Once I saw 0.70 down, and once I saw 15 up. But overall, it's 2-5 down and 5-6 up.--inside or out.

While I was for the longest time getting those kind of numbers on T-Mo (which led me to test AT&T), right now Speedtest is showing me T-Mo service of 38 down/5 up--inside--on a signal strength of -107 dBm.

One more Visible test. Ah, nothing's changed: 1.17 down/2.79 up.

I'll carry it around for a month or so to see, but I expect nothing different than what I saw on the AT&T test.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Opposite experience here. Best prepaid service I’ve ever used. $25/mo is icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    My son had to go run some errands, so I went with him to test around town. I kept getting in the 2/6 range.

At one point, a few miles away, I saw Speedtest stutter (that's the best way I can describe it) up to 15/15 on Visible. That's when I pulled out my T-Mobile phone; in the exact same spot it got a very smoothly achieved 144/40.

At one point I did see Visible achieve 26/14. So there's that.

YMMV indeed. So far, that $75 all-up-all-in I pay for T-Mo is well worth it compared to the $40 Visible service.

It's even worth it if the Visible service were $25.

I'm heading out of town for a few days after the holidays. We'll see what happens then.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    I'm a T-Mobile user from way back. I'm currently grandfathered into their highest speed everything plan, including unlimited tethering (in addition to a bunch of international stuff). I use a Galaxy S10+.

I wasn't entirely happy with the T-Mo service at my house, and it was worse where I went on vacation. So I got AT&T service to try and I spent the summer and early fall testing AT&T's then-highest plan against my T-Mobile, using a branded Galaxy S9+. I wanted it to be as apples-to-apples as possible. I took both phones wherever I went (I travel in a very wide geography for work), and compared service using Network Signal Info Pro and Ookla Speedtest. In the end, I came to the conclusion that there was no significant difference between the two. T was $10 more for less of what I wanted, with no improvement in service over T-Mo.

Now I'm curious about Visible. I've never had VZW service ever, and really don't want it. But I ordered it up anyway, to test (after all, the price is right, right?). I got my Visible-branded ZTE Blade A7 Prime an hour ago (yay trade-in freebie), and got it all set up and I got Network Signal Info and Speedtest installed.

This is significantly worse service than what T-Mo and AT&T give me, in the same location. I live in an upper-middle-class neighborhood in a metro area; inside my house or outside on my street, on Visible service Network Signal Info Pro shows my signal strength to be between -101 dBm and -112 dBm. Speedtest shows me 2 down/5 up. Once I saw 0.70 down, and once I saw 15 up. But overall, it's 2-5 down and 5-6 up.--inside or out.

While I was for the longest time getting those kind of numbers on T-Mo (which led me to test AT&T), right now Speedtest is showing me T-Mo service of 38 down/5 up--inside--on a signal strength of -107 dBm.

One more Visible test. Ah, nothing's changed: 1.17 down/2.79 up.

I'll carry it around for a month or so to see, but I expect nothing different than what I saw on the AT&T test.
    With the tests ive done verizon and tmobile seem neck and neck more now than ever. Att seems to be dropping in quality for some reason

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    With the tests ive done verizon and tmobile seem neck and neck more now than ever. Att seems to be dropping in quality for some reason
    Same here with AT&T. I don’t live in a city yet AT&T becomes useless during the day and starts to become usable close to 9 PM, daily. Two years ago AT&T did very well here. Verizon and T-Mobile do well here. Not sure about Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    At one point, a few miles away, I saw Speedtest stutter (that's the best way I can describe it) up to 15/15 on Visible. That's when I pulled out my T-Mobile phone; in the exact same spot it got a very smoothly achieved 144/40.
    It sounds like you're kinda doing what I'm doing (running lots of tests in a few spots, looking for any quirks), and I've seen this stutter, too. I think it might be related to the much higher pings in my area (starts the test slow then ramps up, unlike T-Mobile or AT&T which start off strong out of the gate). What market/area are you in and what kind of pings are you seeing?

I'm running Visible in my physical SIM slot and have AT&T on an eSIM in an iPhone 11, sticking with Visible for data the entire time—I have had a few instances in the car where Siri has given me the "one moment please" which I think has also been a high-ping side-effect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    It sounds like you're kinda doing what I'm doing (running lots of tests in a few spots, looking for any quirks), and I've seen this stutter, too. I think it might be related to the much higher pings in my area (starts the test slow then ramps up, unlike T-Mobile or AT&T which start off strong out of the gate). What market/area are you in and what kind of pings are you seeing?
    Central Ohio; I'm seeing pings around 72ms.

And there we are, another test: 0.72 down, 5.65 up.

Ah--there's an 88ms ping, with 72ms jitter. 2.68 down, 0.01 up.

"Mister Blutarski: zero point zero."

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Central Ohio; I'm seeing pings around 72ms.

And there we are, another test: 0.72 down, 5.65 up.

Ah--there's an 88ms ping, with 72ms jitter. 2.68 down, 0.01 up.

"Mister Blutarski: zero point zero."
    Yeah, pings not too much different from what I'm seeing just west of you (Central Indiana)...in the 80-90ms range, speeds are either really good (lots of 20-40Mbps moments) or really bad (<2Mbps). The inconsistency reminds me of when we tried Sprint at work—you'd either have blazing fast speeds (LTE Band 41 typically) or struggle to do anything (LTE Band 26). Unfortunately, I had to unexpectedly run to work tonight after being away since getting Visible and service was pretty awful when I actually needed to use it.

I know there's always rough pockets on any carrier, but folks generally have a tolerable experience with Verizon there—funny you mention AT&T being bad at your place, as I've always had good luck with AT&T along the I-70 corridor in Ohio and in Columbus proper.

Still, nice to hear other experiences that are more in my part of the country!

Feedback Score
    AT&T was no better and no worse, overall, in all of Ohio compared to T-Mobile. In 4 months of testing I found only two or three areas where AT&T was better.

What shocked me was Franklin, PA. I had incredibly strong T-Mobile service there.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Imo, I'm more satisfied to have at least a usable signal in more areas. I sort of learned that when i was with cricket, and even with their slower dl rate most apps worked quite well. It's when for whatever reason their db signal deteriorated to the point i had virtually no signal that i really had issues. We still have a mix of cricket,metro, and visible, and at this point in my geographic area,visible is more dependable. Yes metro is faster when there is signal, and except that cricket just won't work at my home any longer,it's still has better coverage than metro,which is getting better.

Imo, after a certain dl speed, it becomes a non issue,where as signal is always as issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Had to port out

My experience with Visible:

Ported over our numbers from AT&T. Had to port back within two days. (Memo to self -test service first).
    I thought running on Verizon which has the best native service in my area would make this viable in any areas that had 4G LTE - wrong!

CONS: Data speeds in my area (southeast Tucson, Arizona area) were unusable (0.30 Mbps). Couldn't even stream audio when walking outside or driving. Pings/latency unbelievably slow as well.

PROS: Calls and text appeared to work OK. Where service worked (more in main part of town), it was blazing fast. Customer service was actually much better than I expected. (Chat on Web page often took forever, but they were very responsive on text.) Price for a family of four on Party Pay is great.
    Last edited by ExMotoEng; 01-03-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExMotoEng View Post

Ported over our numbers from AT&T. Had to port back within two days. (Memo to self -test service first).
    I thought running on Verizon which has the best native service in my area would make this viable in any areas that had 4G LTE - wrong!

CONS: Data speeds in my area (southeast Tucson, Arizona area) were unusable (0.30 Mbps). Couldn't even stream audio when walking outside or driving. Pings/latency unbelievably slow as well.

PROS: Calls and text appeared to work OK. Where service worked (more in maint part of town), it was blazing fast. Customer service was actually much better than I expected. (Chat on Web page often took forever, but they were very responsive on text.) Price for a family of four on Party Pay is great.
    Posted in in error.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tried Visible for two months in late 2018. Using an iPhone 10R SIM FREE. (Metro Atlanta). Data speed was usually around 7 down/1-2 up, high latency and ping times. The biggest issue was reliability. Would have periods where "no service" was displayed on handset, lots of reboots required, and sometimes hours when SMS inbound was delayed. Seems as others have noted, this carrier is equivalent to being a beta tester and paying to do it.

The biggest difference is no CDMA/EVDO/1X on VZW's native network. In many places around this state, they still have areas (like most of Meriwether county) where VZW is the only provider with reliable VOICE service via 1X/CMDA. Side by side with VZW post paid customers who have service,you won't.

It's a good price IF one doesn't need to reliable voice/text, can put up with limited Android phone support, and limited coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExMotoEng View Post

same thing here. And Visible is putting right on their front page, no speed caps for people signing up at this point. So go figure.

Ah, well. It was cheap for me to test--only the first month $25 promo price. I had an old LG V10 I sent them in exchange for a new free Visible phone, so that was good.

Now I'm wondering if maybe their system is horribly misconfigured, and they haven't figured it out yet. 0.30 speeds are not rational. But you're seeing it, same as me.

Feedback Score
    My son had to go run some errands, so I went with him to test around town. I kept getting in the 2/6 range.

At one point I did see Visible achieve 26/14. So there's that.

YMMV indeed. So far, that $75 all-up-all-in I pay for T-Mo is well worth it compared to the $40 Visible service.

It's even worth it if the Visible service were $25.

I'm heading out of town for a few days after the holidays. We'll see what happens then.
    Are you using the same phone? That's going to matter. Also It's doubtful that Verizon and T-Mobile are sharing a tower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast