Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Net10 only works half the time on my phone. Fixable? Should I go back to Red Pocket?

Feedback Score

Net10 only works half the time on my phone. Fixable? Should I go back to Red Pocket?

People tell me they tried to call me and I look at my phone and there are no notifications of anyone calling me. People also say they texted me but I show no texts on the phone from them.

I get upset when I try to login to a website and they need to text you a code in order for you to log in. Code comes via text maybe the next day or never.

But half the time the phone works fine.

I called Net10 Tech on the phone and they recommended I reboot the phone. Hilarious. That's the best they could do to help me out. Of course it is more than just a reboot that is the issue.

I have a Samsung Note 5 (Verizon) phone. Would it be an APN setting? Any idea what causes this? I started the plan in August. I just texted myself 15 minutes ago and still I hadn't received. Something is wrong somewhere.

Do I just give it up and go back to Red Pocket?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

I have a Samsung Note 5 (Verizon) phone. Would it be an APN setting? Any idea what causes this? I started the plan in August. I just texted myself 15 minutes ago and still I hadn't received. Something is wrong somewhere.

Do I just give it up and go back to Red Pocket?
    What APN is it using? Did you use this particular phone on Red Pocket?

Feedback Score
    I don't think texting utilizes the APN. Does VoLTE use it?

If the problem is Verizon, I don't think Red Pocket will be any better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Not sure how SMS messages are handled with VoLTE, and not known if this phone is VoLTE enabled. OP also mentioned problems receiving calls. Difficult to diagnose when the problem is intermittent.

Feedback Score
    Don't laugh at rebooting advice unless you've rebooted at least a couple times just before contacting CS. I've had dozens of "problems" on the many cell phones I've had over the years. At least 95% of my so called cell phone problems magically disappeared after a reboot or two or three.

I reboot my phones at least once a day. And a couple times a week or more I turn off my phone (not charging, totally off) for at least 10 minutes at a time. I also do these two things with my Roku, cable box, pc's etc. Lets the hardware totally cool off.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Rebooting is not a silly thing. However, it forces me to reinstall the AccuWeather widget, which does not survive in working order on either phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I reboot my phones at least once a day. And a couple times a week or more I turn off my phone (not charging, totally off) for at least 10 minutes at a time. I also do these two things with my Roku, cable box, pc's etc. Lets the hardware totally cool off.
    Fouled up things sometimes get stuck in RAM memory. I seldom shut off my phone, and just use Airplane mode at night. Yes, older Windows PCs (pre-XP) were notorious for getting fouled up, and often required a power off rest. Enough time to let the memory's capacitors drain off the bad bits before restarting. Seldom see this anymore.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    In addition to a restart, removing and reinserting the SIM while it's down is a good basic hardware t-shooting bit. I have a friend whose network connection problems were recently solved by that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    In addition to a restart, removing and reinserting the SIM while it's down is a good basic hardware t-shooting bit. I have a friend whose network connection problems were recently solved by that.
    It used to be that removing the battery was a method for resetting things, but not possible in later phones with non-removable batteries. Not sure how effective SIM removal is compared to a full power off rest. Restart is not as effective, as the power does not go off.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I was alluding more to the possibility of electrical contacts just not being right for whatever reason. Fully connected, aligned, etc.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    diddlydudette, are you using your Vzw Note 5 on Net10 on the Vzw network?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post

If the problem is Verizon, I don't think Red Pocket will be any better.
    I believe diddlydudette was previously using her Note 5 on RP successfully.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    diddlydudette, are you using your Vzw Note 5 on Net10 on the Vzw network?

I believe diddlydudette was previously using her Note 5 on RP successfully.
    Yes, thanks Boz. My Verizon Note 5 Phone was working on Verizon w/Red Pocket fine. I thought I would change to Verizon Net10 because it offered 5gb instead of the RP 3GP and at a great price. But what good does it do to have a good deal if the phone wont' work as it should half the time.

I did turn phone off for about hour and turn back on and tried the sim removal. It still acts up.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, thanks Boz. My Verizon Note 5 Phone was working on Verizon w/Red Pocket fine. I thought I would change to Verizon Net10 because it offered 5gb instead of the RP 3GP and at a great price. But what good does it do to have a good deal if the phone wont' work as it should half the time.

I did turn phone off for about hour and turn back on and tried the sim removal. It still acts up.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    You have not said if you have VoLTE aka Advanced Calling with your phone. That could cause some of these issues because your SIM could be provisioned to not use CDMA, and your phone can't see the VoLTE provisioning on the SIM. From what I understand with a really fast Google search, the Galaxy Note 5 could be a Advanced Calling 1.0 phone, and I have heard that some people have issue with these Advanced Calling 1.0 phones on some Verizon MVNO's.

Edit: Plus I have had this issue every once in while too. I have tracked it down to VoLTE issue. If I disabled VoLTE, it worked normally. That was a few months ago, but since that, VoLTE has worked just fine tho. I have not ran into this for a few months too. That is why we are asking about VoLTE tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You have not said if you have VoLTE aka Advanced Calling with your phone. That could cause some of these issues because your SIM could be provisioned to not use CDMA, and your phone can't see the VoLTE provisioning on the SIM. From what I understand with a really fast Google search, the Galaxy Note 5 could be a Advanced Calling 1.0 phone, and I have heard that some people have issue with these Advanced Calling 1.0 phones on some Verizon MVNO's.

Edit: Plus I have had this issue every once in while too. I have tracked it down to VoLTE issue. If I disabled VoLTE, it worked normally. That was a few months ago, but since that, VoLTE has worked just fine tho. I have not ran into this for a few months too. That is why we are asking about VoLTE tho.
    I'm on phone with Net10 now. How do I know if it's a volte phone? All I see under Advanced calling is "Turn of/off HD Voice and Video call".. Then above that unactivated it says: Activate Advanced Calling - Service upgraded to HD Voice and video calling.

Is that what you are talking about? I don't see anything under advaced calling that says anything about Volte.

Under Mobile networks mode there is no option for Volte. My network mode is: Global

Still on the phone with Net10 and still no help. They've been trying to pull up my acct for half hour now...so still waiting. lol And I've been transferred twice.

...and BAM, just like I knew would happen....disconnected
    Last edited by diddlydudette; 01-22-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'm on phone with Net10 now. How do I know if it's a volte phone? All I see under Advanced calling is "Turn of/off HD Voice and Video call".. Then above that unactivated it says: Activate Advanced Calling - Service upgraded to HD Voice and video calling.
    Some phones don't specifically say VoLTE. Advanced calling/HD voice same same on some phones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast