Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using Data from eSIM ( or Physical SIM) to use wifi calling

Feedback Score
    I apologize for being so dense, but I'm unclear on what you experienced.

Were you able to call to any other country for free with this system, or just back to the US over your Verizon number? I'm very interested in using this if it allows calls to other countries using a second sim data line and my T-Mobile line with that. It would be remarkable for international travelers if we could roam with a foreign data service then make voice calls to foreign numbers without charges. Or even another T-Mobile line for the data service. I have two spare TM voice sims I use for iPad data I got from free line promos.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    I use this scenario for calling from abroad to North America on an iPhone:
    Fido eSIM (T-Mobile works too) set to airplane mode. China Unicom SIM in second position for data.
    The calls show as Fido Wifi (or T-Mobile Wifi) and use the data of China Unicom with VPN on.

It’s not free. You still use minutes out of your bucket but there are no roaming or long distance charges.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clarification.

I see this as having about the same functionality as the free WiFi calling to and from the US on T-Mobile. It does allow for freedom from an external WiFi connection point though, so even for T-Mobile users it allows users to be free from hunting up WiFi for free calls.

As you may have guessed, I was hoping it somehow became a VOIP connection over a foreign data service with our US numbers for local calls while overseas. It would be nice to have that for calling hotels and cabs, but $.25 a minute isn't too bad, and the calls usually aren't more than a few minutes anyway.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Yes, this is why I have a local SIM. I need a local number to call with and be called. In the case of China you need a domestic number to authenticate on many wifi systems.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    I use this scenario for calling from abroad to North America on an iPhone:
    Fido eSIM (T-Mobile works too) set to airplane mode. China Unicom SIM in second position for data.
    The calls show as Fido Wifi (or T-Mobile Wifi) and use the data of China Unicom with VPN on.

It’s not free. You still use minutes out of your bucket but there are no roaming or long distance charges.
    How do you set esim to airplane mode and physical SIM to data without completely disabling the esim?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2