Thread: Verizon Wireless issues in San Diego and El Paso?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score

Verizon Wireless issues in San Diego and El Paso?

It has come to my attention that since August-Sept 2019, Verizon Wireless customers have been losing service or experiencing issues with incoming/outgoing calls due to a new LTE network run by ALTÁN Redes using B28 in Tijuana and Juárez.

It looks like the FCC/Department of State and IFT (Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones) and presumably the Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE) still hasn't figured out how to fix this issue because my Samsung S8 drops LTE and fallbacks to 3G and slooooow LTE on my iPhone 7. I try to avoid using Verizon Wireless in the area of San Ysidro, on the other side of Tijuana but it's tied to my work stuff.

Apparently Verizon Wireless is hapless as the interference is spilling over from the other side.

Is anybody still experiencing issues in these areas related to the Red Compartida in these areas? Or even in El Centro, where Red Compartida is active on the other side Mexicali.

Feedback Score

Verizon Wireless issues in San Diego and El Paso?

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    It has come to my attention that since August-Sept 2019, Verizon Wireless customers have been losing service or experiencing issues with incoming/outgoing calls due to a new LTE network run by ALTÁN Redes using B28 in Tijuana and Juárez.

It looks like the FCC/Department of State and IFT (Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones) and presumably the Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE) still hasn't figured out how to fix this issue because my Samsung S8 drops LTE and fallbacks to 3G and slooooow LTE on my iPhone 7. I try to avoid using Verizon Wireless in the area of San Ysidro, on the other side of Tijuana but it's tied to my work stuff.

Apparently Verizon Wireless is hapless as the interference is spilling over from the other side.

Is anybody still experiencing issues in these areas related to the Red Compartida in these areas?
    El Paso here, it is still on going and a fix to resolve could take a while.. it really sucks, but I am also getting the same that Verizon is helpless at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    El Paso here, it is still on going and a fix to resolve could take a while.. it really sucks, but I am also getting the same that Verizon is helpless at this point
    So basically you are telling me the "fix" has to come from both D.C and CDMX.
    What's not helping is that the IFT is saying that ALTÁN Redes is in compliance, this only became an issue when Verizon Wireless found out that ALTÁN Redes turned on the Red Compartida. I think Telcel was being blamed, probably because they have pushing their 4.5G GigaRed service, and now it's due to a surprise activation of Red Compartida in Tijuana and Juárez on B28.

Feedback Score
    So basically you are telling me the "fix" has to come from both D.C and CDMX.
    What's not helping is that the IFT is saying that ALTÁN Redes is in compliance, this only became an issue when Verizon Wireless found out that ALTÁN Redes turned on the Red Compartida. I think Telcel was being blamed, probably because they have pushing their 4.5G GigaRed service, and now it's due to a surprise activation of Red Compartida in Tijuana and Juárez on B28.
    Ya, it’s an interference issue on one of the frequencies... it will be a tough pull for Verizon to swallow

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just mentioned in the other thread regarding the CDMA shutdown thread, that these two cities should get an expedited conversion from CDMA to LTE on their 850 MHz licenses to make up for the interference on their B13 licenses to mitigate the issues.

Feedback Score
    I just mentioned in the other thread regarding the CDMA shutdown thread, that these two cities should get an expedited conversion from CDMA to LTE on their 850 MHz licenses to make up for the interference on their B13 licenses to mitigate the issues.
    If it was the 700mhz frequency, wouldn’t tmo and att have these same issues..

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    If it was the 700mhz frequency, wouldn’t tmo and att have these same issues..

This is a very good question...

Band 12/17 don't overlap 28 in the same way band 13 does but they should still recieve some interference. I wonder if AT&T is also having issues with their FirstNet setup in those areas, as band 14's frequency range is similarly obscured by band 28 range (compared to band 13).

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What a difference 7 years make. Sure seems to me that in the 7 years from 2012 to 2019 the need for coordination between the US and Mexico was forgotten.

• In September 2012, The Federal Commission of Telecommunications in Mexico (COFETEL) announced the adoption of the APT band plan for the 700 MHz band (band 28). This decision became one of the few decisions in the area of telecommunications where Mexico adopts a competing model with the USA.

• It was taken despite the necessity for additional coordination along the common US-Mexico border of around 3000 km.

• As of September 2013 COFETEL has been replaced by the IFT, the Federal Telecommunications Institute.

Band 28 is 45x45 MHz. I have no idea how they've "sliced and diced" it, however:

• Band 28 downlink completely spans band 13 uplink hence the interference with Verizon.

• Band 12 and band 17 downlink is within the uplink of band 28. This is causing interference on the Mexican side.

Band DownLink LL DownLink UL UpLink LL UpLink UL
    12 729 746 699 716
    13 746 756 777 787
    14 758 768 788 798
    17 734 746 704 716
    28 758 803 703 748

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    In 2014 I remember having to deal with T-Mobile while my San Diego office staff was constantly picking up international GSM voice and GPRS data roaming charges (while sitting at their desks) month after month bleeding over from Mexico. They were totally mobile and had no desk IP phones to use.

The serving Mexican cell site apparently was overpowering the weaker Band 4 HSPA+ signal indoors.

They had to apply a recurring large credit on my account to offset the charges.

I know this stuff can be really aggravating. Feel your pain.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    In September 2012, The Federal Commission of Telecommunications in Mexico (COFETEL) announced the adoption of the APT band plan for the 700 MHz band (band 28). This decision became one of the few decisions in the area of telecommunications where Mexico adopts a competing model with the USA.
    I can totally understand their choice. It's much easier for phones and other equipment to support just one band (28) instead of five (12,13,14,17,29) to use the the same spectrum. I'm not sure why FCC didn't go with a single 700 MHz band as well. Maybe carriers persuaded them to do it, to be able to make phones with incompatible bands that made switching between them harder?