Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Claim: VZW to abolish all Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (GUDP) in 2020

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That would be going away by this time next year regardless.
    Assuming Verizon doesn't push back the date again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    Assuming Verizon doesn't push back the date again.
    There is no reason to do it. They are going to want to deploy 5G over that 850 MHz

Feedback Score
    There is no reason to do it. They are going to want to deploy 5G over that 850 MHz
    I can't figure out why they did it this time.

Feedback Score
    Is there any talk of getting rid of the PUDP that was discontinued back in May 2019? If so, that really ticks me off. I only get a strong signal with Verizon where I work. AT&T is spotty at best. US Celluar is so-so along with T-mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    I can't figure out why they did it this time.
    You and me both

Feedback Score
    Depends on what you want to use it for, if you don't need hotspot most of the current unlimited plans are pretty nice.
    If you need hotspot visible's $40/mo unlimited plan includes unlimited deprioritized 5Mbps hotspot. It's the only off the shelf option i'm aware of at the moment.
    Best practical option is probably taking over someone's $65/mo prepaid unlimited jetpack plan (deprioritized) but that's harder to find but easy to transfer.

Yes but unless you have a lot of lines it's not a better deal than the current lineup.

Go 0GB, 600Kbps hotspot
    Start 0GB, No hotspot
    fudp 22GB, 15GB hotspot then throttled to 600Kbps
    beyond 22GB, 15GB hotspot then throttled to 600Kbps
    Play more 25GB, 15GB hotspot then throttled to 600Kbps
    Do more 50GB, 15GB hotspot then throttled to 600Kbps
    Above 75GB, 20GB hotspot then throttled to 600Kbps
    Get more 75GB, 30GB hotspot then throttled to 600Kbps
    gUDP ∞GB, ∞GB hotspot

I think the numbers are right and i'm pretty sure I didn't forget any but IDK that should be all of the postpaid unlimited plans.
    Awesome, thanks sims! I'll be testing out one of these plans side by side with gUDP to compare.

Does anyone know what the video speed throttle is for the plans? For gUPD it's 3.8mbps unless you have a VPN. And Verizon's latency is poor even without a VPN!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNube View Post
    Awesome, thanks sims! I'll be testing out one of these plans side by side with gUDP to compare.

Does anyone know what the video speed throttle is for the plans? For gUPD it's 3.8mbps unless you have a VPN. And Verizon's latency is poor even without a VPN!

Video throttle is pretty much the same for all of those plans in the list. The only ones I believe that are higher are if you have a prepaid unlimited tablet plan. Then it's in the 9's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNube View Post

Try Start, it's current and will let you get a feel for deprioritization in your area.
    Or if you don't currently have verizon service or just want to do testing go with verizon prepaid (all plans even tiered deprioritized) or Visible (deprioritized) which will let you avoid having to pay an activation fee just to test the service.

gUDP's video throttle is device dependent, if you use it in a smartphone it's throttled to ~3.7Mbps/720p but if you put the sim in a jetpack, modem or tablet then video is throttled to ~10Mbps/1080p. 480p is something like ~1.8Mbps.

For smartphones
    Go ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Start ~1.8Mbps/480p
    fudp ~3.7Mbps/720p
    beyond ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Play more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Do more ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Above ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Get more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    gUDP ~3.7Mbps/720p

Feedback Score
    Try Start, it's current and will let you get a feel for deprioritization in your area.
    Or if you don't currently have verizon service or just want to do testing go with verizon prepaid (all plans even tiered deprioritized) or Visible (deprioritized) which will let you avoid having to pay an activation fee just to test the service.

gUDP's video throttle is device dependent, if you use it in a smartphone it's throttled to ~3.7Mbps/720p but if you put the sim in a jetpack, modem or tablet then video is throttled to ~10Mbps/1080p. 480p is something like ~1.8Mbps.

For smartphones
    Go ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Start ~1.8Mbps/480p
    fudp ~3.7Mbps/720p
    beyond ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Play more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Do more ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Above ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Get more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    gUDP ~3.7Mbps/720p
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score

For smartphones
    Go ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Start ~1.8Mbps/480p
    fudp ~3.7Mbps/720p
    beyond ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Play more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Do more ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Above ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Get more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    gUDP ~3.7Mbps/720p
    I wish Verizon( and all carriers ) would just use speed number and get rid of the 480/720/1080p designation because they mean nothing as there is no standard. 3.7 Mbps is "720p" according to Verizon but might be 480p on one service and 1080p on another. Even on Netflix it's closer to 960p. 1.8 Mbps is actually around 540p. On Netflix 720p starts at around 2.2 Mbps, 1080p starts at around 4.4 Mbps and even 4K starts as low as 7.5 Mbps. Of course Netflix uses variable bitrate and say you're using a 1080p device that 1080p will tops out at 6 Mbps.

Here's good video showing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIEGd5sTn5w

Verizon should just up the bitrates a bit and get rid of designations. Say Start 2 Mbps( preferably 2.5 Mbps ), Do/Play More 4 Mbps( preferably 5 Mbps ), Get More 10 Mbps

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The TV/monitor manufacturers established the measurement of 480/720/1080 to indicate the graphics quality and not as a data speed evaluation. The cellular providers didn't establish that metric, they use it in their marketing to set a graphics quality standard for user expectations. Not a good idea to make it any more confusing than that for the average consumer who rarely understands the difference.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The TV/monitor manufacturers established the measurement of 480/720/1080 to indicate the graphics quality and not as a data speed evaluation. The cellular providers didn't establish that metric, they use it in their marketing to set a graphics quality standard for user expectations. Not a good idea to make it any more confusing than that for the average consumer who rarely understands the difference.
    Point is like I said Verizon "720p" is 3.7 Mbps but on one service it may be 720p on another it may be 1080p and on another it might be 480p. Since Verizon likes to use Fast.com which is Netflix is you go and use those test video on Netflix you'll see Verizon's "480p" at 1.8 Mbps will show 540p. It's the same BS with their "3G" hotspot throttle which is 600 kbps which no one realistically would call "3G" but it BARELY makes Verizon's own definition of 3G. 3G goes up tp 3.1 Mbps an that's what people expect when they hear "3G" At the bare minimum Verizon would have something called a "3G" hotspot be 1.5 Mbps.

The point is someone hears their plan "only" has 720p video so maybe they decide to go with another carrier or maybe the dos something shady like us e VPN to bypass a video limit that Verizon has specifically to manage their network. Or maybe that person pay $10 extra for 1080p video when it's not necessary. 3.7 Mbps is very close to Netflix's 1080p streaming quality I doubt one could actually tell a difference. But it's the mindset that it's "720p" when as I said by Netflix own testing video it would probably be closer to 900p. And if Verizon threw a bone and upped the video limited slightly to 4 Mbps you really aren't going to be able to tell a difference. And if they upped it to 5 Mbps it would actually be 1080p.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    This is probably a risky idea but Visible is always an option. If top of the line service is wanted, Visible is not the answer. If you have an iPhone and just want unlimited data to use it however you need, Visible for $25 may be an option. It’s also a risk someone must be willing to take if they want the $25/mo rate.

Personally I’m very happy with it. Website says hotspot speeds are throttled and limited to one device but I’m still seeing full speeds. The device limit doesn’t apply on iPhones.

It’s at least worth checking out if you are sick of paying $50+/mo for unlimited. Also, there’s no CDMA access and Android compatibility is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    I get crappy speeds any way so it’s whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I wish Verizon( and all carriers ) would just use speed number and get rid of the 480/720/1080p designation
    For most of their customers the quality is probably the the best you could get them to understand in 5 minutes rather than having them try and figure out what resolution corresponds to what speed on the particular video service they use.

I do think they should list the actual video throttle speeds as part of the plan somewhere. As it is now all video throttle speeds found anywhere are from people's fast.com tests rather from verizon docs which is why you see them vary a bit.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast