Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Claim: VZW to abolish all Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (GUDP) in 2020

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It does not surprise me they are eliminating their grandfathered unlimited data plans considering all their current plans are unlimited data again. If you do not want throttling of your video I would recommend using a VPN on your android or IOS device so their network can not see what type of internet traffic you are using.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    This is probably a risky idea but Visible is always an option. If top of the line service is wanted, Visible is not the answer. If you have an iPhone and just want unlimited data to use it however you need, Visible for $25 may be an option. It’s also a risk someone must be willing to take if they want the $25/mo rate.

Personally I’m very happy with it. Website says hotspot speeds are throttled and limited to one device but I’m still seeing full speeds. The device limit doesn’t apply on iPhones.

It’s at least worth checking out if you are sick of paying $50+/mo for unlimited. Also, there’s no CDMA access and Android compatibility is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Visible is $40/mo it's only $25/mo for parties of 4.
    Hotspot is stated to be limited to 5Mbps and one connected device

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Visible is $40/mo it's only $25/mo for parties of 4.
    Hotspot is stated to be limited to 5Mbps and one connected device
    That is correct but hotspot speeds have been high speed the entire time I’ve had the service, since June. iPhones can connect up to 5 at once and that’s default with iOS. Visible can’t control that. Androids is limited to one but an easy bypass is a VPN. Joining a party is super easy. There’s a subreddit full of offers and requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Try Start, it's current and will let you get a feel for deprioritization in your area.
    Or if you don't currently have verizon service or just want to do testing go with verizon prepaid (all plans even tiered deprioritized) or Visible (deprioritized) which will let you avoid having to pay an activation fee just to test the service.

gUDP's video throttle is device dependent, if you use it in a smartphone it's throttled to ~3.7Mbps/720p but if you put the sim in a jetpack, modem or tablet then video is throttled to ~10Mbps/1080p. 480p is something like ~1.8Mbps.

For smartphones
    Go ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Start ~1.8Mbps/480p
    fudp ~3.7Mbps/720p
    beyond ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Play more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Do more ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Above ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Get more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    gUDP ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Have a GUDP sim in a Mofi and Fast shows 3.9 mbps, what gives if I should be seeing 10 mbps?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For most of their customers the quality is probably the the best you could get them to understand in 5 minutes rather than having them try and figure out what resolution corresponds to what speed on the particular video service they use.
    But it's BS. As I said Verizon "720p" could be 480p, 720p or 1080p depending on the service

I do think they should list the actual video throttle speeds as part of the plan somewhere. As it is now all video throttle speeds found anywhere are from people's fast.com tests rather from verizon docs which is why you see them vary a bit.
    the 480/720/designation let's them get away with not posting it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Try Start, it's current and will let you get a feel for deprioritization in your area.
    Or if you don't currently have verizon service or just want to do testing go with verizon prepaid (all plans even tiered deprioritized) or Visible (deprioritized) which will let you avoid having to pay an activation fee just to test the service.

gUDP's video throttle is device dependent, if you use it in a smartphone it's throttled to ~3.7Mbps/720p but if you put the sim in a jetpack, modem or tablet then video is throttled to ~10Mbps/1080p. 480p is something like ~1.8Mbps.

For smartphones
    Go ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Start ~1.8Mbps/480p
    fudp ~3.7Mbps/720p
    beyond ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Play more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Do more ~1.8Mbps/480p
    Above ~3.7Mbps/720p
    Get more ~3.7Mbps/720p
    gUDP ~3.7Mbps/720p
    It's still only the popular apps that are throttled. Like Netflix, Youtube etc. I'm still able to stream 70+ Mb/s bitrate UHD content from home to my Galaxy S10 on Verizon prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    If you do not want throttling of your video I would recommend using a VPN on your android or IOS device so their network can not see what type of internet traffic you are using.
    They have video limits because video is what is putting a strain on the network. When enough people start using VPN to bypass the limit( and it won't take a high percentage )it will really trash the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_1983 View Post
    Have a GUDP sim in a Mofi and Fast shows 3.9 mbps, what gives if I should be seeing 10 mbps?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    No idea. I've got mine in a mofi 4500 sim4 and it does 10Mbps on fast.com
    Verizon reads it as a "MOFI - MOFI4500-4GXLTE-V2"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    But it's BS. As I said Verizon "720p" could be 480p, 720p or 1080p depending on the service
    It is but I really don't know how you could tell the average user "video speed is reduced which will probably reduce quality" so they would understand better.

the 480/720/designation let's them get away with not posting it.
    I don't know how, it's vague and it doesn't correspond to any actual standard i'm aware of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    It's still only the popular apps that are throttled. Like Netflix, Youtube etc. I'm still able to stream 70+ Mb/s bitrate UHD content from home to my Galaxy S10 on Verizon prepaid.
    True but what services are throttled account for 99% of the video services most people can name.
    Most people even those with gigabit service (since most seems to be heavily asymmetric) do not have 70Mbps+ upload speeds at home.

You could do the same with a VPS or something tho and anyone can get one of those.

Feedback Score
    They have video limits because video is what is putting a strain on the network. When enough people start using VPN to bypass the limit( and it won't take a high percentage )it will really trash the network.
    Wouldn't it just fallback to deprioritization which can't be bypassed with a VPN?

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know the feature code for gUDP (unlimited email & web)? I've been trying to get it re-added to my line since it was removed (over my explicit instructions not to) back in August. I just got off the phone with a manager who said that the feature code she found errored out. So I'm wondering if it's been removed/deleted from the system because of the meeting referenced in the OP.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BitMaestro View Post
    Does anyone know the feature code for gUDP (unlimited email & web)? I've been trying to get it re-added to my line since it was removed (over my explicit instructions not to) back in August. I just got off the phone with a manager who said that the feature code she found errored out. So I'm wondering if it's been removed/deleted from the system because of the meeting referenced in the OP.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BitMaestro View Post
    Perhaps you misssed the thread where Verizon is getting rid of gUPD very soon.

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't it just fallback to deprioritization which can't be bypassed with a VPN?
    Yes the network would be congested and everyone would have a terrible experience. But do you think people that are doing this care? They'll just blame Verizon for the congestion.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast