Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Claim: VZW to abolish all Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (GUDP) in 2020

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Clearly you're not doing work with things like Autocad (I am), or having to actually transfer files (which again, I am)

As I said. I refuse to accept any of Verizon's current plans as they are even trash for small business. I get it - they sat on their behind and did not get additional mid-band capacity when they could have.. But as a consumer that's not my problem. My problem is they no longer fit my needs once this plan is gone.
    What kind of masochist sits in a hotel room and tries to do any kind of serious design using Autocad on a laptop? Even if that's the kind of self inflicted pain you choose it's not like '.dwg' files are GB's in size. The largest one I have right now is 2.7M, at 600Kbps that should take roughly 45 seconds. I mean seriously start the transfer, go take a leak and it's done.

Far from the excessively dramatic characterization of "total trash".

Feedback Score
    Um, have you tried to use the hotspot at 600kbps? it's totally trash. I actually do work on the road (I also am a contracted engineer for a few things) - the gUDP plan has served me fine for years. I'm not going to have 2-3 Verizon lines just to get the amount of hotspot I need when they were willing to sell me a plan that works fine for me from the beginning (and always has)

I now have a Sprint SIM with 100GB of hotspot and have been very impressed with the speeds just in case Verizon sends me the letter and really for testing purposes (although where i'm at now for instance, Sprint is 120Mbps and Verizon is sitting around 10Mbps - so Sprint is getting the workload tonight)

I'll just dump Verizon if they pull my gUDP and gladly take my $140/mo single line ARPU somewhere else if they do not want the money. I've got many scenarios where Verizon is just trash due to me being on the fringe of cells anyway, and worst case at AT&T I can use my tax ID and get a plan that has 100GB of hotspot.. It's not a big deal to me at this point, i'm not going to fight to give them money. I've mapped out my plan if they give the letter - and if they do i'll just leave VZ. It's that simple.
    So Verizon should gimp it's network to satisfy people like you? Good luck using Sprint in many parts of the US. Come to my area and it would literally be useless. 4G networks can not handle unlimited hotspot. And frankly Verizon should have kicked everyone off gUDP YEARS ago.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Let's tone down the talk folks. Please keep this thread friendly and not reply with personal attacks.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @brad15
    Hey if you actually happen to be in one of the few areas where Sprint's service isn't total crap you can get an unlimited hotspot through the nonprofit calyx institute.

@DebiLee
    Unless i'm missing it https://enterprise.verizon.com/produ...ess-internet/# doesn't appear to have specific plans or pricing listed.
    Generally business, government, and enterprise services are handled different then consumer services. You have to call in and speak to a dedicated sales agent or account manager who’ll end up being your point person going forward. Generally you’ll call in, speak to them, and they’ll work with you to create a plan that’s best suited for you and your company or agencies need.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    What kind of masochist sits in a hotel room and tries to do any kind of serious design using Autocad on a laptop? Even if that's the kind of self inflicted pain you choose it's not like '.dwg' files are GB's in size. The largest one I have right now is 2.7M, at 600Kbps that should take roughly 45 seconds. I mean seriously start the transfer, go take a leak and it's done.

Far from the excessively dramatic characterization of "total trash".
    It's not *just* autocad I do, but it's not bad when you have a properly powered quad i7 available with a real graphics card Also, i've found more than one carrier that's willing to satisfy my needs and not be gimped because they chose to not buy more spectrum when they had the chance.

Also I choose to double dip - I fly for an airline 3 days a week, and when i'm stuck somewhere for 25-30hrs, may as well get other work done and be productive if i've got the time - Then i can keep 4 solid days off doing things I *actually* want to be doing

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    So Verizon should gimp it's network to satisfy people like you? Good luck using Sprint in many parts of the US. Come to my area and it would literally be useless. 4G networks can not handle unlimited hotspot. And frankly Verizon should have kicked everyone off gUDP YEARS ago.
    People using hundreds of GB.. Sure. I use 30-50GB, usually 11p-4am when i'm up doing other work... And considering other carriers are willing to sell me more than 30GB of hotspot, especially one with more capacity than Verizon

Nobody said unlimited, but verizon's current offers are trash. Once again, they did not plan ahead when they had the chance and now they're feeling a spectrum crunch.. once again, not my problem as a consumer. I paid them 2x of what I could have others - which means they had money to invest but chose not too.

Everywhere i've used AT&T and Sprint so far, they've generally outperformed Verizon in the hotels i've been staying in. Sprint has not dropped below 50Mbps yet, AT&T is generally 50-150Mbps in "5Ge" areas that have been actually upgraded to LTE-A - both of which will gladly sell me 100GB hotspot plans. So clearly, verizon just cannot handle this due to lack of planning early on.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    People using hundreds of GB.. Sure. I use 30-50GB, usually 11p-4am when i'm up doing other work... And considering other carriers are willing to sell me more than 30GB of hotspot, especially one with more capacity than Verizon
    other than Sprint, who? T-Mobile Magenta Plus is 20 GB and yes you can add 10 GB more for another $10. Making it $95 for 1 line then 600 kbps. At&t best plans offers 30GB mobile hotspot per line. After 30GB, mobile hotspot speed slowed to a maximum of 128Kbps.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    other than Sprint, who? T-Mobile Magenta Plus is 20 GB and yes you can add 10 GB more for another $10. Making it $95 for 1 line then 600 kbps. At&t best plans offers 30GB mobile hotspot per line. After 30GB, mobile hotspot speed slowed to a maximum of 128Kbps.
    AT&T I can set up a small biz elite plan with 100GB of Mobile Hotspot as a SP using my EIN I use for my engineering firm. It's easy as cake, and Verizon it's a whole pain in the *** (I checked)

And the Sprint plan i'll have grandfathered for at least 3yrs, and on T-Mobile's combined spectrum it'll blow Verizon out of the water anyway (it usually already does with what they *currently* have, so I cannot wait to see when it's all combined)

It's actually a great plan (especially compared to VZ "small biz" plans):

I currently have an AT&T consumer account and the LTE has been fantastic, but i'm grandfathered on a promo with unlimited talk/text/data/15GB hotspot, 100/20 VDSL2 at home with unlimited data, HBO/Starz, and some cable channels for $80 so I've not messed with it yet as $80 is what my home ISP would cost anyway, more once I add the unlimited data. The Sprint has been a fun experiment and the LTE has gotten A LOT better over the last year - i've been able to do some serious work on it this week and the speeds have been fantastic in the 8 cities i've tried it in so far.

I'll keep the Sprint plan through April to see what T-Mobile's implementation plans are, then if those do not suit my needs i'll start a small biz account at AT&T and gladly move my Verizon number there. No biggie.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    brad15, what happens when you go past that 100 GB hotspot limit? Overage, throttling, deprioritization...?

Feedback Score
    AT&T I can set up a small biz elite plan with 100GB of Mobile Hotspot as a SP using my EIN I use for my engineering firm. It's easy as cake, and Verizon it's a whole pain in the *** (I checked)

And the Sprint plan i'll have grandfathered for at least 3yrs, and on T-Mobile's combined spectrum it'll blow Verizon out of the water anyway (it usually already does with what they *currently* have, so I cannot wait to see when it's all combined)

It's actually a great plan (especially compared to VZ "small biz" plans):

I currently have an AT&T consumer account and the LTE has been fantastic, but i'm grandfathered on a promo with unlimited talk/text/data/15GB hotspot, 100/20 VDSL2 at home with unlimited data, HBO/Starz, and some cable channels for $80 so I've not messed with it yet as $80 is what my home ISP would cost anyway, more once I add the unlimited data. The Sprint has been a fun experiment and the LTE has gotten A LOT better over the last year - i've been able to do some serious work on it this week and the speeds have been fantastic in the 8 cities i've tried it in so far.

I'll keep the Sprint plan through April to see what T-Mobile's implementation plans are, then if those do not suit my needs i'll start a small biz account at AT&T and gladly move my Verizon number there. No biggie.
    You're comparing small business plans with residential plans. Most people are not going to be on a business plan. And one should not be shocked that a person is going to find that running a business off a residential plan to be unsatisfying. T-Mobile/Sprint integration is going to take a couple of years. The deal isn't even officially done yet. Sorry Sprint is garbage network and has to give away the farm and still lose customers. That tells you how crap their network is.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You're comparing small business plans with residential plans. Most people are not going to be on a business plan. And one should not be shocked that a person is going to find that running a business off a residential plan to be unsatisfying. T-Mobile/Sprint integration is going to take a couple of years. The deal isn't even officially done yet. Sorry Sprint is garbage network and has to give away the farm and still lose customers. That tells you how crap their network is.
    Okay, so let's look at Verizon's small business plan:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/busi...ess-unlimited/

Still.. a piss poor offering compared to AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

The ONLY way to get anything else out of Verizon is to get on an enterprise plan, which as a small firm with literally two of us on the payroll... is way more hassle to deal with than it's worth.

AT&T on the other hand, I can do a Sole Proprietorship account, and get exactly what I need with minimal paperwork at a reasonable price (and faster LTE to boot).

That's my point - Verizon KNOWS they do not have enough capacity - that's why they're so gung ho on this plan. They screwed up and are now trying to reign it in while not bothering to buy any additional capacity like AT&T and T-Mobile did. This is all a problem Verizon has created for themselves by being arrogant and idle on buying spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Okay, so let's look at Verizon's small business plan:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/busi...ess-unlimited/

Still.. a piss poor offering compared to AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

The ONLY way to get anything else out of Verizon is to get on an enterprise plan, which as a small firm with literally two of us on the payroll... is way more hassle to deal with than it's worth.

AT&T on the other hand, I can do a Sole Proprietorship account, and get exactly what I need with minimal paperwork at a reasonable price (and faster LTE to boot).

That's my point - Verizon KNOWS they do not have enough capacity - that's why they're so gung ho on this plan. They screwed up and are now trying to reign it in while not bothering to buy any additional capacity like AT&T and T-Mobile did. This is all a problem Verizon has created for themselves by being arrogant and idle on buying spectrum.
    I and most of us don't care about Verizon business plans. Go with whichever carrier offers the best plan. If that means you are off of gUPD all the much better. As far as I'm concerned Verizon can get rid of all gUPD, business, government, first responder and all MVNOs the better. And leave all that capacity for the regular customers. That's not going to happen unfortunately.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is Verizon ready to take this kind of hit on postpaid numbers and ARPU? I think Verizon is in for a world of hurt in the coming years with little microwave spectrum and laughable mmwave 5G. The market forces at play now wont help either.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I guarantee that if you do, it won't won't get the plan back for you. You were warned in advance and that is all Verizon would have to prove. Filing the complaint would be an exercise in futility. You technically violated the Terms of Service. Whey would the FCC find in your favor ???

In regards to this, Verizon could charge you full price for the S10e, due immediately, and possibly cancel all lines of service at their discretion. Good luck, but I doubt you will be successful in your fight with them.
    Terms of service cannot usurp law. All Upper C block, band 13 devices approved by Verizon for use on the Verizon Wireless network are fair game. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16 It is also known Verizon still offers unlimited mobile broadband to enterprise customers. If your attorney is good enough, you can probably escape arbitration on this one. There is enough case law about this: terms of service do not trump law. Unfortunately the one formal complaint the FCC sat on for years was bungled, badly.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I offered my opinion, correct or wrong. I will admit I am not a lawyer, but I stand by my comment. I am not going to debate this as I don't have any legal training, nor do I work for any cellular company any longer.

Feedback Score
    It's not *just* autocad I do, but it's not bad when you have a properly powered quad i7 available with a real graphics card Also, i've found more than one carrier that's willing to satisfy my needs and not be gimped because they chose to not buy more spectrum when they had the chance.

Also I choose to double dip - I fly for an airline 3 days a week, and when i'm stuck somewhere for 25-30hrs, may as well get other work done and be productive if i've got the time - Then i can keep 4 solid days off doing things I *actually* want to be doing

Nobody said unlimited, but verizon's current offers are trash. Once again, they did not plan ahead when they had the chance and now they're feeling a spectrum crunch.. once again, not my problem as a consumer. I paid them 2x of what I could have others - which means they had money to invest but chose not too.

Everywhere i've used AT&T and Sprint so far, they've generally outperformed Verizon in the hotels i've been staying in. Sprint has not dropped below 50Mbps yet, AT&T is generally 50-150Mbps in "5Ge" areas that have been actually upgraded to LTE-A - both of which will gladly sell me 100GB hotspot plans. So clearly, verizon just cannot handle this due to lack of planning early on.
    Att has 100gb plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast