Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tello WiFi calling - Does it use minutes or data?

Feedback Score

Question Tello WiFi calling - Does it use minutes or data?

I have ported over to Tello. They use an app for WiFi calling. My plan has unlimited minutes. Does this mean I can use wifi calling unlimited or does it use my data? I only have 2GB of that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    I have ported over to Tello. They use an app for WiFi calling. My plan has unlimited minutes. Does this mean I can use wifi calling unlimited or does it use my data? I only have 2GB of that.
    If you're using the Tello WiFi calling app when connected to WiFi, it will NOT use your Tello plan cellular data.

Feedback Score
    So it's completely unlimited for free?

Feedback Score
    So it's completely unlimited for free?
    You only asked about data usage. If you have working WiFi available, then there is no usage of your Tello data plan balance.

See https://blog.tello.com/news/tello_app/ for more details on the Tello app.

Feedback Score
    If you use Tello app Wifi calling over Wifi it does not use your mobile data units.

The Tello app Wifi calling uses your talk units. If your talk units are unlimited then Wifi calling should be unlimited.

The Tello app Wifi calling only works for outgoing calls. It does not receive incoming calls. Incoming calls would use the cell voice service if you have enough Sprint signal.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that any usage, voice or data over Wifi does not use your plan allowance either way. The carrier has no control over Wifi usage and therefore cannot "charge" you for using it. The advantage to the carrier is they don't utilize the cellular infrastructure when you use Wifi which makes it cheaper for them.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Keep in mind that any usage, voice or data over Wifi does not use your plan allowance either way.
    It does not use the data allowance, but using a provider's WiFi calling will use your minutes balance. Since most users' minutes balances are unlimited, it doesn't matter. If a plan allowed only a set number of voice minutes, they would be deducted.

Feedback Score
    Cool. This sounds really good. Does it switch over to towers if the wifi drops or you leave the house?

Feedback Score
    I don't see anywhere that the My Tello app will automatically switch. When you leave wifi range you could turn on cell data and use your VOIP app (like Hangouts, etc.) or the Tello app. Would require hanging up and redialing on VOIP.

The My Tello app needs some improvements.
    1. Why does it charge minutes when calling on WiFi? Just use another VOIP calling app.
    2. The app has the option to turn cell data off. Can't turn it on if not on wifi. Have to go into phone settings to do that.
    3. Won't receive calls or send/receive texts
    These are usual features of most of the VOIP apps out there.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't use airtime while using Wifi calling or data. No different than using an application like Skype which also doesn't require a cellular connection. You can only be charged airtime or data when there is no Wifi connection and use your device while connected to the cellular network/towers. As I mentioned earlier, the carrier has no way to determine how much data/voice usage occurs on Wifi as it is not on their cellular network where it can be measured.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't use airtime while using Wifi calling or data. No different than using an application like Skype which also doesn't require a cellular connection. You can only be charged airtime or data when there is no Wifi connection and use your device while connected to the cellular network/towers. As I mentioned earlier, the carrier has no way to determine how much data/voice usage occurs on Wifi as it is not on their cellular network where it can be measured.
    The link above from the Tello blog says that the Tello app does use your Tello voice minutes.

https://blog.tello.com/news/tello_app/

Feedback Score
    Rather than just providing a glorified one-way VOIP app, Ting should support real Sprint Wifi Calling on phones that support it on Sprint (which admittedly are limited).

Both Ting and Twigby do so.

Probably Tello preferred to go with something interim that would work easily on all phones initially, without adding a large support load, which is ok, but now they need to offer full Sprint Wifi Calling as well for capable phones since they can get it from Sprint.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I read the entire page and I did not see anything saying it uses airtime while using Wifi calling.
    The link says this:

The new Tello App is faster and brings all the needed info about your usage in the MORE tab.
    Just click that right bottom tab and see the amount of minutes, text and data gigs you have left so far. You can also see your pay as you go balance, of course, in the same place.

Wifi is a very local resource with limited range, you won't get it driving in your car. From what I read on the internet page is that the Tello application is merely a tool/application to verify usage, but is not an additional service provided by Tello to provide Wifi. Wifi is a function of the phone and not the cellular network in any way.

I do agree that Maria Dima's response to the online questions make very little sense when the linked page does not mention that it uses airtime through Wifi. Poor documentation if it actually does so and if so, Tello needs to correct the published information.

Feedback Score
    I read the entire page and I did not see anything saying it uses airtime while using Wifi calling....
    In the comments section it says that Wifi calling will deduct minutes from your account balance:

"Maria Dimasays:
    January 11, 2019 at 6:00 am
    Hi, James,

Thanks for the question. You can call over WiFi using your account balance and yes, the minutes will be deducted from there."

I don't know if Maria Dimasays posted that as an official statement from Tello.

I tried Wifi calling on mine to see what it does. The phone was in Airplane mode with Wifi switched back on to make sure it wasn't using cell service. I was unable to successfully complete a call, but it did charge my balance for the attempted call. That proves it close enough for me.

It is common in the industry in general for Wifi calls to use the voice minutes from the plan. Doing so uses your cell number rather than some other VOIP app number.

Here's a new question. Has anyone been able to get Tello app Wifi calling to work?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    A reason to count wi-fi calls as minutes is that it has to be connected to the voice network (possibly other carriers, land lines, etc) which, depending on where you call, provides a cost to the carrier.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast