Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RedPocket and Verizon

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    My understanding was that in order get an iPhone working on RP, you have to download a profile that fixes the Apn settings.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    You do on the ATT network. According to their web page, for CDMA (LTE phone), you just have to make a call and select VM language. I didn't get this prompt since I have an already active SIM.

THis was just a test. If I decide to move the SIM in the future to the iPhone rather than my Moto G5+, I'll just chat.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    On CDMA side it was needed that the IMEI to be in the provider's database of accepted phones.
    Not sure what happens today, when no new CDMA phones are accepted on the network.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    You do on the ATT network. According to their web page, for CDMA (LTE phone), you just have to make a call and select VM language. I didn't get this prompt since I have an already active SIM.

THis was just a test. If I decide to move the SIM in the future to the iPhone rather than my Moto G5+, I'll just chat.
    I don't have an iPhone so I really don't know but it shouldn't be too complicated to switch your already active sim to the iPhone. There would be a lot of noisy complainers on the Slickdeals.net forum.

There must be atleast 1 user on this forum with red pocket Verizon and an iPhone working 100% that could clarify this.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Shred; You have the F1, right? Do you have VoLTE? I won't be switching over for a few weeks but I'm beginning to worry that VoLTE will not work for me. The F1 is capable of VoLTE but is it the phone that says to Verizon "hey, I have VoLTE" or is it Verizon doing it based on the IMEI of the phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I thought ShredFred was getting Vzw VoLTE on his F1. Hopefully he'll reply to verify.
    I have HD voice which I believe is volte. I had it on Page Plus and now red pocket.

What's my indication? when I am in a call, connected with HD voice icon, I can still browse the web.

When my phone goes into non volte mode because I went to a low signal area, the HD voice icon disappears and just has a 4g, 3g or 1xx icon. I can still place calls. This is a quirk of my phone though.
    Quote Originally Posted by lburgguy View Post
    Shred; You have the F1, right? Do you have VoLTE? I won't be switching over for a few weeks but I'm beginning to worry that VoLTE will not work for me. The F1 is capable of VoLTE but is it the phone that says to Verizon "hey, I have VoLTE" or is it Verizon doing it based on the IMEI of the phone?
    Asked and answered, I believe.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have 3 umidigi phones on Red pocket Verizon.

I wrote above that I think I do have Volte. It's indicated as hd voice on my phone.

I don't think you will have a problem. Red pocket uses the default Verizon apn value vzwinternet. I had to do some minor configuration when I was on Page Plus because they required The apn to be Tracfone.vzwentp. But on Red pocket, should work without issue.

Just remember to turn off wifi calling in your mobile settings. That doesn't work for any Verizon mvno I think.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Red pocket needed the imei of a phone on the Verizon whitelist for activation. Didn't work with my Umidigi but worked with an Orbic Wonder. I guess it's just a legacy system. They will have to change it in the future.... Or maybe not.

I don't think they use the imei for anything else or sim swapping would not work.

The odd thing is that in the Orbic Wonder, It could not register that I was hitting the 1 button for the voice mail menu to start my service. I put the sim back into the umidigi and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    On CDMA side it was needed that the IMEI to be in the provider's database of accepted phones.
    Not sure what happens today, when no new CDMA phones are accepted on the network.
    Last edited by ShredFred; 01-07-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I don't have an iPhone so I really don't know but it shouldn't be too complicated to switch your already active sim to the iPhone. There would be a lot of noisy complainers on the Slickdeals.net forum.

There must be atleast 1 user on this forum with red pocket Verizon and an iPhone working 100% that could clarify this.
    I'm sure it is easy, just a chat or email to give them my IMEI and request it to be updated. I had a line in the past on Verizon using an iPhone, but when I changed my main number a year ago to Verizon Prepaid I moved my backup phone over to RP ATT.

Feedback Score
    >The F1 is capable of VoLTE but is it the phone that says to Verizon "hey, I have VoLTE" or is it Verizon doing it based on the IMEI of the phone?

Carriers have restrictions on VoLTE, and "capable of VoLTE" is mostly irrelevant. What's relevant is what phones are allowed (read: certified) on the carrier(s).

T-Mo VoLTE is the most widely supported, so presumably its certification is the easiest/cheapest. VZW VoLTE is few and far between, which indicate a higher-cost cert. AT&T's is the most stringent, so, probably highest-cost. Sprint's is too new, but given its small size and willingness to get new phones, certs shouldn't be a barrier.

There've been "VoLTE-capable" but uncertified phones that don't have working VoLTE on VZW, which would indicate the "enabler" to lie at VZW's end. The Umidigi phone is the only uncert model(s) that reportedly works, which means that Umidigi is using a workaround, or is spoofing the user with a fake HD icon during calls. Chinese phones have been known to fake things before, and this wouldn't be the first.

ShredFred's F1 (et al) apparently has (real?) VoLTE, and he's happy with it--at least for a next couple of years. You the OP already bought yours, so hopefully you will be as happy. But if you need to be on VZW or VZW-based provider, buying an uncertified phone with a "workaround" isn't a great idea, regardless of how many personal testimonies you find on the Internet.

>I'm sure it is easy, just a chat or email to give them my IMEI and request it to be updated.

This is one of the many reasons why. You (OP) would be SOL if you ever need customer support for anything on your F1. CS will blow you off as soon as you give an IMEI of an unauthorized phone. That alone should be sufficient reason.

The loss of support can be quantified as a monetary loss, which many ignore. When taken into account, the cheap Chinese phone will cost substantially more than a supported phone over time.

>Analog voice? Whaaaaat?
    >Maybe not IP structured, but certainly NOT analog!

Yeah, analog voice would be 1G. I should've said 2/3G voice.

Apparently, VoLTE's (4G) successor will be voice-over-NR (New Radio), or VoNR for standalone (SA) 5G. That'll be the next hurdle for carriers to hold over their users' head with. SA 5G will take a while to happen. My SWAG is 5-6 yr time frame. Sounds like a long time, but it wasn't too long ago that 2020 was "a while," and now here we are. Time flies.

>Didn't work with my Umidigi but worked with an Orbic Wonder. I guess it's just a legacy system. They will have to change it in the future.... Or maybe not.

Orbic Wonder has VZW certification and is officially supported, along with terrible Amazon reviews. It has no follow-up model, which probably means a failed experiment at going "legit" on VZW.

I doubt VZW will drop its whitelist scheme. The technical reason (for CDMA) may be gone, but the business case hasn't changed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If I am using this phone 3 years from now, that would be an incredible achievement as most modern electronics are setup with planned obselesence to not last more than a year or 2.

mines is not a unique case. There are other higher cost phones out there that fall into the category of not on whitelist but people have gotten to work with Verizon. Phones by Xiaomi(Mix2s) and One plus(6 and 7) fall into this category. Is Verizon even that important? These phones can be used on gsm carriers too.

The reason why these phones are interesting is because they provide a lower cost, higher value alternatives to the mainstream phones. Not every solution has to be an iPhone or Samsung on a major carrier. If that's the case what are we even doing here? This is an enthusiast site for people who want to save money and push the envelope of what's possible.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >

This is one of the many reasons why. You (OP) would be SOL if you ever need customer support for anything on your F1. CS will blow you off as soon as you give an IMEI of an unauthorized phone. That alone should be sufficient reason.

The loss of support can be quantified as a monetary loss, which many ignore. When taken into account, the cheap Chinese phone will cost substantially more than a supported phone over time.
    I understand what you're saying. Keep in mind that this ordeal is ONLY because I want to try Verizon on RP. AT&T works perfectly from the gate. I am 100% satisfied with my Umidigi F1. Not to be a fanboy but it totally blew away my expectations and is running perfectly after 11 months or so of ownership. I know this is a cheap Chinese phone but darn the quality is amazing.

Feedback Score
    >If I am using this phone 3 years from now, that would be an incredible achievement as most modern electronics are setup with planned obselesence to not last more than a year or 2.

As long as you're happy, then that's what matters. But nothing you said change what I said. The loss of support with an unsupported phone is a major problem, and directly translates to a cost.

And after 30 days, assuming you bought from Amazon, you essentially have no warranty, because return shipping cost to China is prohibitively high. Loss of warranty translates to another cost.

Then there's the hassle of jumping through hoops to get a SIM activated on VZW, which adds yet another cost to the phone. I assume you bought the Orbic Wonder for activation purposes.

Yes, you can obviate the first cost by doing your own support, using Google to search for answers. That's fine for techies like us, but you can't assume that for other people. Similarly, you personally may have good luck and never need warranty, but again it doesn't apply to others.

>The reason why these phones are interesting is because they provide a lower cost, higher value alternatives to the mainstream phones.

Per above, Chinese phones don't provide a lower cost or higher value. They have a lower UP FRONT cost, but you pay more in other costs over time. We pay a lot for convenience and peace of mind (aka insurance). You lose both with unsupported Chinese phones.

Look, you like Chinese phones and find them interesting. That should be enough. You don't have to justify it more than that, and you shouldn't, because it's just rationalizing. You didn't save money when you bought three Umidigi's, plus the Orbic Wonder. The total cost of those can't be cheap.

For myself, I do see their greater hardware bang/buck. I also see their deficient software side which IMO has more weight. And the above--no support for anything--is my biggest bugaboo.

But different strokes for different folks. I'm glad there are those like you and OP who like Chinese phones and are willing to take the risk, because else we wouldn't know anything about them. I do appreciate your effort to share. I believe in two sides to a coin, and I'm presenting the other side. Balance.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Lol! All phones are pretty much "cheap Chinese phones" made in China. Samsung, Apple, Motorola and I think LG too. They're all probably made in the same factory. I don't think you can count on OS support for the LG or Motorola beyond a year.

The umidigi phones are in use by other family members. The Orbic Wonder was in service for one of them for a year, bought it for the 4 carrier capability, not specifically for activations.

Nearest equivalent phone I was considering was the Motorola G7 Power at $250 because of the large battery but the Umidigi has dual sim. All the umidigi phones were less expensive. In my research, I heard enough issues with the G6 and G7 to stay away.

Not trying to sell umidigi phones to anyone. Phones like these are best left to those who are willing to do their own research and tech support. But I am trying to objectively answer any concerns anyone has if they ask them. the OP wanted feedback on getting his umdigi phone onto red pocket verizon and i did my best to relay my experience on the subject.

Last edited by ShredFred; 01-09-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post

And after 30 days, assuming you bought from Amazon, you essentially have no warranty, because return shipping cost to China is prohibitively high. Loss of warranty translates to another cost.

I agree with that. I bought the Umidigi from Aliexpress not even considering the warranty aspect. It was stupid and risky of me but it worked out. Warranty is definitely going to be a higher priority on my next phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lburgguy View Post
    Thanks to all BTW! (my goal, if anyone has forgotten, is to get my Umidigi F1, which is now with RP using ATT switched to Verizon on RP).
    Could someone please confirm this process: I purchased a Verizon SIM card from RP. I ordered an LG G3 that passes all the requirements of Verizon and is, according to their site, good to activate based on the IMEI.

So do I activate the G3 using the new SIM and then once it is activated place this card in the Umidigi?

Thank you in advance!
    I suspect you may have an issue with the LG G3.

I currently use an Essential PH-1 with RP Verizon, no issues. My old driver is the LG G3 phone, and when I try to swap in my (active) RP Verizon (CDMA) SIM into it, it does NOT work.

No calls, no data, can't seem to make it work.

This G3 is the D850, which was (originally) locked on the AT&T (it's branded too) network.

I unlocked it, and switched to RP AT&T years ago, which worked fine for a while. Then I got the PH-1 and moved the RP SIM over there.

More recently, I switched the underlying RP network to the VZ CDMA network (no issue there), but trying to use the SIM in the G3 is a no go.

*I do believe the D850 has the correct LTE bands covered as well....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast