Thread: RedPocket and Verizon

Feedback Score
    Boz1 and Shred; Thank you!

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I do not believe you will get volte. Or possibly some other advanced features. Mvnos on Verizon appears to have to enter the imei of a compatible phon to get that. It won’t auto update as it would directly with Verizon.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I do not believe you will get volte. Or possibly some other advanced features. Mvnos on Verizon appears to have to enter the imei of a compatible phon to get that. It won’t auto update as it would directly with Verizon.
    I thought ShredFred was getting Vzw VoLTE on his F1. Hopefully he'll reply to verify.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    His post in this thread didn’t state. Just voice and lte data. We will wait 🤔

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have HD voice which I believe is volte. I had it on Page Plus and now red pocket.

What's my indication? when I am in a call, connected with HD voice icon, I can still browse the web.

When my phone goes into non volte mode because I went to a low signal area, the HD voice icon disappears and just has a 4g, 3g or 1xx icon. I can still place calls. This is a quirk of my phone though.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    >What's my indication? when I am in a call, connected with HD voice icon, I can still browse the web.

We've discussed this before. Simul-voice/data on VZW exists before VoLTE and isn't indicative of it.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...rint-iphone-5/

"Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is coming, eventually (the first commercial rollout started last month in South Korea and MetroPCS in parts of the US), but as of right now, there's no way to route a voice call over LTE on either Verizon or Sprint. However, all of Verizon's other 4G phones can connect to the CDMA network, for calls, and the LTE network, for data, simultaneously. This allows concurrent usage of voice and data, albeit over two separate network connections with two separate antennas. Some of them can do a similar trick with EVDO and CDMA, using two antennas to connect to both networks concurrently (a feature called SVDO)."

The above piece is dated 2012. Basically, you're trusting Umidigi to say whether VoLTE exists with its "HD" symbol. That may be true, or not. The only way to know is to wait until VoLTE is mandatory, and analog voice is truly dead. Of course by then it's too late to do anything about it.

That's the risk of buying offbrand Chinese phones, among others. You're hoping things will go your way. They may not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Let us know how it works out and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by lburgguy View Post
    Boz1 and Shred; Thank you!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >What's my indication? when I am in a call, connected with HD voice icon, I can still browse the web.

We've discussed this before. Simul-voice/data on VZW exists before VoLTE and isn't indicative of it.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...rint-iphone-5/

[I]"Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is coming, eventually (the first commercial rollout started last month in South Korea and MetroPCS in parts of the US), but as of right now, there's no way to route a voice call over LTE on either Verizon or Sprint. However, all of Verizon's other 4G phones can connect to the CDMA network, for calls, and the LTE network, for data, simultaneously. This allows concurrent usage of voice and data, albeit over two separate network connections with two separate antennas. Some of them can do a similar trick with EVDO and CDMA, using two antennas to connect to both networks concurrently (a feature called SVDO)."
    Yes, a few phones several years ago supported both at same time by having 2 radios. Simultaneous voice/data on Verizon could indicate that on a modern phone, but I would doubt it. I would suspect a loop hole in Verizon's systems allowing this. I guess I could test this by moving my CDMA SIM from the android phone it is in into another compatible phone (either Android or iPhone) and see whether VoLTE is enabled.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    In the network mode settings, does the Umidigi have a no CDMA option? I am not familiar with that phone but many non-carrier based Androids can be set to LTE only or LTE/WCDMA/GSM (note that “WCDMA” is GSM 3G and not CDMA).

If you can set the device to something that turns off CDMA and make a call, then you have VoLTE running.

FWIW, I havenÂ’t seen a dual radio device in many years, as those were more of a necessity when the early LTE chipsets didnÂ’t also support CDMA. So I think the ability to talk and surf (assuming no Wi-Fi) is indicative of VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I moved the Verizon network RP SIM from my Moto G5+ to my unused Moto E4 (officially unlocked Verizon prepaid phone).

When I tried to make a call, it didn't drop to CDMA. But it also didn't make a call. I got a message about my local number not being in my calling area. When I tried calling in from another line, I got a message about calling restrictions on the phone.

Maybe, in this case, the phone is TOO Verizon. And maybe it was trying to connect with Verizon directly to verify access (The F1 phone wouldn't have this issue).

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @ e.mote: Analog voice? Whaaaaat?

Maybe not IP structured, but certainly NOT analog!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I tried the SIM in my unused iPhone 7+. Voice calls worked, but it didn't connect to LTE, even for data. Guess that was a step too far without contacting RP.

This Verizon line is my $60/year plan for emergency use while on road trips, otherwise only used when I'm testing things like SMS and MMS outside the iPhone ecosystem. There are 2 reasons why this isn't a good test to replicate the F1 experience seen (at least by 1 person). The iPhone probably requires specific setup by RP, and the Android phone I tried was Verizon carrier firmware (unlike the F1) so it probably works behind the scenes different. If Verizon Prepaid had a low cost PPU plan (either by the minute or something like $2/day, like ATT, I would probably put it on that rather than RP).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    When my phone goes into non volte mode because I went to a low signal area, the HD voice icon disappears and just has a 4g, 3g or 1xx icon. I can still place calls. This is a quirk of my phone though.

That doesn't sound like a quirk. It sounds like you just dropped to CDMA. Without a CDMA radio, it wouldn't work.

And, on Verizon, if you configure the account properly CDMA less (like Intel iPhone 8/X), when you lose LTE it is possible to roam in selective locations on 3G/UTMS like ATT.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The Umidigi phones have cdma radios

Yes, there is a no cdma setting under preferred networks for Lte only. I had to use this setting when I was on Page Plus. On this mode, phone would never step down to 3g or 1x.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    My understanding was that in order get an iPhone working on RP, you have to download a profile that fixes the Apn settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I tried the SIM in my unused iPhone 7+. Voice calls worked, but it didn't connect to LTE, even for data. Guess that was a step too far without contacting RP.

This Verizon line is my $60/year plan for emergency use while on road trips, otherwise only used when I'm testing things like SMS and MMS outside the iPhone ecosystem. There are 2 reasons why this isn't a good test to replicate the F1 experience seen (at least by 1 person). The iPhone probably requires specific setup by RP, and the Android phone I tried was Verizon carrier firmware (unlike the F1) so it probably works behind the scenes different. If Verizon Prepaid had a low cost PPU plan (either by the minute or something like $2/day, like ATT, I would probably put it on that rather than RP).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast