Thread: How will the new Federal law affect GV users?

Feedback Score

How will the new Federal law affect GV users?

Earlier this week, a Federal law was signed that required U.S.carriers to enact Stir/Shaken protocol for each cellular call. From what I read, Stir/Shaken is a protocol that carriers would implement that authenticates and assigns a value to each incoming call as being legitmate or not as coming from the number indicated. This would ideally prevent "spoofing" a number which so many scam robocallers use to make it appear it is coming from nearby so you would be more likely to pick up the call. Any insight as to how it might affect GV callers? Would it assume an outgoing call a GV makes be SPAM since GV works by spoofing the carrier # and replacing it with the GV #?

Feedback Score
    That's a good question.

I use ONLY my GV #s, over data only, because I have no real phone #s.

Since my calls go over data only, and the caller ID is the actual Google Voice #, hopefully I and others that use their GV #s over data only won't be affected.

But then again, perhaps GV #s won't be affected at all?

Only time will tell...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, H2O
    Feedback Score
    By extension, if taken to the extreme, couldn’t this also affect any VoIP numbers? That is why I am optimistic that GV may be OK...

Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk/ATT
    Feedback Score
    I thought the way the protocol is supposed to work is that the number-owner provider "signs" the number so it can't be credibly spoofed if originated elsewhere. As long as Google buys in to the framework, it should be ok.

Feedback Score
    Based on the FCC's complaint data, robocalls have been skyrocketing over the past few months of 2020. There was a lull in April and May thanks to FCC action, it argued. But it's tripled between then and the end of last month. Monthly charts, updated monthly, of complaint volume, here.

Anecdotally, my phone spam volume has gone from almost nil on any of my phones for many years, to an almost daily annoyance on each one in that time. Lots of robocalls, and a ton of scam SMS messages. I had been getting less than one robocall a month, and I just got three this afternoon. I hadn't been getting any scam SMS messages and now I get one every few days or so.

The scam SMS messages all contain URLs with just-registered domain names, so Google's (and T's) spam filtering systems seem to have stopped working, as that's pretty much a dead giveaway - so they should never have gotten thru. Google:

Feedback Score
    my understanding of SHAKEN/STIR is that it involves deals between the carriers to mark calls as 'verified'

if thats the case it would mean a willingness between the carriers and Bandwidth(backhaul provider of google voice numbers and termination) to work together and to allow calls to arrive as verified. a lot could depend on how cell carriers see that affecting their business model.

it could be outgoing GV calls do not show 'verified' and some user are reluctant to answer as a result.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Robo call farms just lost their most valuable customer - toll free numbers.

https://www.telecompetitor.com/fcc-m...ll-free-calls/

I think the increase in spam calls is due to this years election at least here in the US.

Stir/Shaken will never be a complete product because if a carrier isn't signed on to the program - either an international carrier or a voip anywhere it won't work.