Thread: Transferred Tracfone LG sim card to iPhone 6 and it works.

Feedback Score

Transferred Tracfone LG sim card to iPhone 6 and it works.

A friend gave me her old iPhone 6. I've used Tracfones for many years. I currently have a Tracfone LGL51AL. No monthly payment, I just buy a year service once a year and additional data when I need it. I have plenty of taling minutes and texts to carry over. Anyway, after researching online, I just moved the sim card from my LG phone to the iPhone [after verifying that both were on AT&T carrier). And the iPhone 6 works, shows TFW as the network. I can receive and make calls. Wifi works. I turned off wifi, turned on data, and I can text or go online as usual. I had downloaded contacts to the sim card before putting it in the iPhone, contacts uploaded just fine. Am I missing something? I didn't know this would be so easy. I thought I would have to purchase a kit, or call Tracfone, or start paying monthly as I have read with other fancier smartphone/tracfones. Is my new-to-me Tracfone/iPhone a ticking timebomb where at some point something will stop working? Does Tracfone care? Just thought I would ask here. I feel like I'm getting away with something I shouldn't be. Thanks much.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildswalle View Post
    Anyway, after researching online, I just moved the sim card from my LG phone to the iPhone [after verifying that both were on AT&T carrier). And the iPhone 6 works, shows TFW as the network. Is my new-to-me Tracfone/iPhone a ticking timebomb where at some point something will stop working? Does Tracfone care? Just thought I would ask here. I feel like I'm getting away with something I shouldn't be.
    What you did is functionally OK, but there's a caveat. The SIM of a TF-branded phone (like your LGL51AL) is paired with the serial number of the original phone. When you swapped its SIM into another phone, the carrier and TF know which phone the SIM is being used with, but they're not taking any action. The potential problem is when you sell/give away your L51AL and the new owner (re)activates it. TF will say "Your phone has a missing SIM? No problem, we'll send you a new SIM". Then they will deactivate the original SIM, which is being used in your iPhone 6, and suddenly you lose your service. As long as you stash away your L51AL and don't try to give/sell/(re)activate it, you'll be OK.

The proper way to avoid that potential problem is to buy a SIM kit, activate the BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in it with a transfer from your L51AL, then put the BYOP SIM in your iPhone 6.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Another issue that I see is if your friend's iPhone was another Tracfone branded phone because you never did say what branding that iPhone is. If you try to activate it with a BYOP SIM, your friend might have same issues.