Thread: Mobilesyrup: "Rogers to end subsidy plans, move to only financing options on Jan 28"

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Mobilesyrup: "Rogers to end subsidy plans, move to only financing options on Jan 28"

Looks like Rogers/Fido are following Telus to move away from subsidized phones towards a financing option. I personally prefer the subsidized plans because my plan is better than what I'll ever get once the financing comes in. Welp.. welcome to the new era of cellphone plans. https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/01/07/r...ng-january-28/
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Will be interesting to see how they set this up. With Telus, although they’ve implemented a true financing option (where cost of phone is completely separated from cost of plan) similar to what Rogers will be doing, they do still subsidize the phone cost from time to time. For example, during Black Friday, Telus had the iPhone XR monthly cost at $2.50 for EPP (I think $12 for non EPP), which was discounted (i.e. subsidized) from its regular monthly cost of ~$25 per month.

I suspect Rogers will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Postpaid
    Feedback Score
    So if a Telus customer left before the 24 months were over, would they have to pay 2.50$ or 12.00$ multiplied by the number of months left to reach 24 months?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    $2.50 (or $12) multiplied by number of remaining months in 24 term (no tax since tax on the financed monthly amounts is paid up front) + whatever is left of the additional subsidized amount. For example, let’s say someone gets an iPhone XR on the Black Friday EPP promo for $2.50/month ($0 device but taxes on $2.50x24 paid up front) and decides to leave after 6 months (with 18 months left in the term):

Full cost of XR at Telus = $820 + tax
    Subsidized amount from Telus = $760 (because $2.50 x 24 = $60; and $820-$60 = $760)

So leaving after 6 months, customer pays:
    $2.50 x 18 = $45 (taxes already paid up front)
    +
    $760 / 24 = $31.67 monthly; $31.67 x 18 = $570.06 + tax = $644.17

$644.17 + $45 = $689.17 grand total paid by customer if leaving after 6 months

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. So subsidies will still exist, they’ll just be transferred to the financing portion of the bill as opposed to the cell phone plan.

The example you gave is interesting because technically there were two subsidies, since an 820$ phone would mean 34$ monthly payments as opposed to the initial 12$ ones, before it was dropped to 2.50$.

I still prefer the new Telus way. It’s way more transparent.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. Telus’ billing, online/automated ordering process, and many other things are excellent. They’re transparent, quick, and their systems seem to always work. I find them much better than Rogers. Having said that, I think Rogers is a bit easier to deal with and their customer service (when you call in) is better than Telus.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Having said that, I think Rogers is a bit easier to deal with and their customer service (when you call in) is better than Telus.
    Absolutely agree, with Telus you will wait on the phone for over an hour for a rep. Not true with Rogers, Virgin or even Bell.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Don’t remind me! Wait times with a Telus (even for their EPP/Corp clients) are horrendous. Only good thing about being a Corp client is that I can do most things online thru their portal, which I must say is fantastic. It’s so clean, quick, and easy to navigate. It’s also completely transparent where I can see cost of plan completely separate from cost of device. It makes Rogers’ sites and processes look and perform like something that a high school student developed. And Rogers’ plans are so confusing...probably why they’ve decided to revamp and go with this new strictly financing option.